Other discussions (Read-Only) > Eastern Front

interesting WWII photos

(1/39) > >>

Jeff 'Robotnik' W.:
a thread to post interesting pictures and their descriptions, i have a whole folder full of interesting pictures

first photo is of a captured KV2 with a commanders cupola installed on it by the germans

second photo, a german halftrack that has both wufrahmen rockets and a 37mm cannon, an interesting combination

third photo, a cromwell turret used as a fortification, cant remember if it was a german captured one or if it was british

4th photo, an interesting one, where a t34 rocket launcher was mounted on a captured german halftrack, the halftrack was then towed into place and the rocket laucher fired at the enemy. the elevation was controlled by that elevation mechanisms of a pak40 lol

5th photo, a staghound mounting rockets, it was used operationally very late into the waye

6th photo. a heavilly modified panzerIV turret which mounted a russian 76mm field gun be used as a pillbox

7th photo, i remember someone saying that the armor of the king tiger was never penetrated frontally, heres proof otherwise. i beleive it was an su100 that knocked it out

8th photo, king tiger that was knocked out, more details in photo

9th photo, king tiger ( a rare heschell model) , knocked out by a 2in mortar, a very lucky hit

10th photo description "That tank apparently blew up after being hit, which cause the superstructure to be ripped off, landing to the left of he vehicle (barely visible on the photo, and the turret to fly into the air, turning up-side-down mid-air, and landing back on the tanks hull."

11th photo, damage by IS2 rounds against a tigers front glacis plate

12 photo: "A soldier in the tank recovery section of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) examines damage inflicted by an 88mm anti-tank gun to the barrel of a Sherman tank, which is about to be recovered from the battlefield, October 1942. Another shell hit can be seen on the side of the turret. The tank and crew survived."

Pac-Fish:
The german KV-2 is pretty interesting. Was it easy for the germans to convert SU tanks to german tanks ???

So many rockets on vehicles :P

Jeff 'Robotnik' W.:
It was not that hard to add commanders cuppola's to tanks i wouldnt think, the germans did the same thing to many captured french tanks as well, and with captured t-34's

Pac-Fish:
Was there a special battalion full of mismatch and random captured tanks ???

Jeff 'Robotnik' W.:
i beleive they were distributed into groups and given as needed, here is a description of where that T-34 and other vehicles were allocated

--- Quote ---2.Kompanie/Panzer-Abteilung z.b.V.66 - created for Malta invasion (Operation Herkules) with a strength of at least 10 heavy russian Beute-Panzer. In July 1942 the 2.Kp. (russian Beute-Pz.) / Pz.Abt.z.b.V.66 was transfered to H.Gr. Mitte. On the 31 May 1942 this unit had a 9 T 34, 1 KV I, and 1 KV II.
27 March 1944 2/z.b.V.66 was attached to Ski-Jaeger-Brigade 1 (renamed 1.Ski-Jaeger-Division on 15 Jun 44) and renamed to 4.(Pz.)Kp./schw.Ski.Btl.1.

On the 30 december 1944 l.Ski.Jg.Div. reported a strength of 28 T 34, of which 9 were operational.
--- End quote ---

aslo some more interesting captured vehicles

picture 1- bren carrier with a flak 38 mounted on it

picture 2- caption "This is also a fascinating captured Firefly featured in several photos, complete with extended end connectors on the tracks, spare track links welded to the hull front, side, and turret, and a German muzzle brake on the 17 pdr"

picture 3- captured sherman used as an armored recovery vehicle

picture 4- description "The Yugoslav 1st tank brigade was organized near Bari, on the Adriatic coast, and equipped with the M3A3 and a handful of the older M3A1 version of the Stuart family. A total of 56 tanks and 9 AEC armored cars were delivered by the Allies to the town of Dubrovnik, and supported the Yugoslav 4th Army. In November 1944, the unit captured the town of Sibenik, and found a variety of German equipment, still in working order. This included, a German 7.5 cm Pak 40 anti tank gun, some Renault UE carriers and some 2 cm quadruple flak guns. A brigade mechanic named Vlajko suggested that they use the captured weapons to upgrade the Stuarts. The upgrades simply removed the turrets and added supports for the guns as well as some armor to protect the crew. The tank destroyer version with the Pak 40 lasted throughout the campaign and were encountered by New Zealand troops in the contested city of Trieste at the end of the war."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version