Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: interesting WWII photos  (Read 55845 times)

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
Re: interesting WWII photos
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
Here are reasons you dont want to mess with an ISU-152

1st photo: Damage a 152mm High explosive round vs panther turret.
2nd photo: damage of a 152mm armor piercing round vs sturmpanzer IV brummbar. notice the massive hole and how much of the superstructure has cracked or caved in on itself
3rd photo: comparison of the size of a 152mm AP round vs 122mm and 88mm AP round
4th photo: comparison of the size of a 152mm High explosive round

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:51 AM »
I have some that Sommarkatze sent me a while back, that he never posted up here.

#1 is a Japanese rifle shield, designed and tested for the home invasion. They were simple pieces of stamped Steel akin to the Soviet SN-42 armor, except lacking the bulge

#2 is a weird weapon called the Grossfuss which seems to have been related to the StG family of weapons in one way or another.

#3 is a K43 (G43 really) with an StG-44 mag and re-chambered for the shorter 7.92x33 Kurz that I believe we call the K43/46.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
pic 1: soviet armored train with kv2 turret

pic 2: It looks like the allies were working on something similar to the kugelblitz. armed with a 40mm bofors and 2 .50 cal in a ball turret

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:13 AM »
The T52 is awesome! I want that as a reward unit! :D

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2012, 02:01:40 AM »
That we be quite a fun thing to have Sommar, maybe I'll talk to Wiffleby about it

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »
here is another view of the t52

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
pic 1: soviet armored train with kv2 turret

pic 2: It looks like the allies were working on something similar to the kugelblitz. armed with a 40mm bofors and 2 .50 cal in a ball turret
What is with the canadian Skink anti air tank ;) Quad anti air tank? ^^
May the force be with you.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
^ nope, thats no skink AA

this is the skink, and for those who dont know it was a canadian grizzly tank armed with 4 20mm cannons, so something like an allied whirblewind. it saw some service around the end of the war

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
Ah. Sry. Bad phrasing  ;D
-> I want to bring the Skink in mind. Skink looked like a quiet heavy and good anti air tank similar to the Kugelblitz ^^

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
I want the Skink as a reward units for the British churchills <3 Hell, the reward for that one should replace all the churchills. They kinda suck imo, sadly ;/

Here is a unique fun non combat vechicle!

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Apropo Kugelblitz;
Here is the only "possible" picture of a Kugelblitz i know.

Offline Tehcumseh

• Strelky
  • I have extreme nationalism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »
Night Vision Scope on a M1/M2 Carbine

Bent ppsh for shooting around corners

I got these from Neosdark's powerpoint of World War 2 weapons. So these are taken from him.
Got to give credit where credit is due.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:24:16 PM by Tehcumseh »

"I am a crack shot!"
"Heart or head either way Jerry's dead!"
"Don't worry, we're basically bulletproof!!!"

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Oh don't post that link up, I'm finishing my next version

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
Also you forgot to put in the Night Vision PPSh-41 O0

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »
I found a few more interesting photos

Photo 1: the KV-7, an experimental soviet assault gun, which had 1 76mm cannon and 2 45mm cannons. when Stalin first saw it, his comment was something like "Who needs three cannons? It would be better to mount one, but good one,"

Photo 2: Another interesting soviet experimental weapon. this is powerful light 25-mm semi-automatic AT gun LPP-25 (1942). It was developed for airborne companies and guerillas (partisans) in Soviet Dzerzhinsky Artillery Academy. Very light (202 kg), it could be towed by every vehicle and even by 3 crewmembers for short distances. But that excellent and very necessary gun remained experimental, only 3 were made (order to produce 30 LPP-25 by factory No.92 as the first series was rejected).

While a very small gun, it was capable of penetrating up to 146mm(!!!!!) of armor at 100m. thats a lot for such a small gun, and able to pierce the 102mm frontal armor of the Tiger.

Photo 3: The soviets made some very interesting and groundbreaking things before the war which for one reason or another where not used, this is one of them. The name of this torpedo boat is L-5 (Levkov-5). Soviet professor V.I.Levkov developed the first serial naval air-cushion vessels in the world in 1935-1940 (they were built by Moscow aircraft plant No. 84 and No. 445). These strange vessels were called "Crocodiles" by sailors.

Some where capable of speeds up to 50 knots, and were usually armed with a few torpedo tubes and around 2 to 4 DKSH MG's

Despite the absolutely forward-looking design and excellent specifications, Levkov's torpedo boats had some disadvantages - the main was complicated control, especially during stormy or windy weather. At full speed a huge amount of splash formed which decreased visibility from the cabin. Also aircraft engines quite often overheated because of horizontally location.

All Levkov's boats were preserved at Litke naval base in Kronshtadt after the beginning of German-Soviet war in 1941. After the war all of them were scrapped in 1947 as "obsolete" boats despite the fact that nobody in the world had such boats and famous British serial hoverships by Christopher Cockerell appeared only in the beginning of 1960s! Professor Levkov was forgotten unfortunately.

Image 4: The "Nahuel" D.L. 43 tank was a medium tank developed in Argentina during World War II. It was the Argentine equivalent of the M4 Sherman and the M3 Grant American medium tanks. About 12 tanks were produce and sent into battle, because M4 chermans were becoming much more available. It had a 75mm gun similar to that of the sherman and cromwell, and 80mm sloped armor

The naem Nahuel translates into the english word tiger

Images 5 and 6: The SU-76P. These were build during the seige of leningrad, and mounted a short barrelled 76mm howitzer (similar to the OBR used in game) on the chassis of a T26. They served until 1944 when the seige was broken, but apparenly some of the few vehicles continued service later on in the war. They were made due to a lack of high-explosive rounds for 45mm guns, as none were able to be delivered during the seige
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:21:55 AM by robotnik »