Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Changing Annihilate - No Pop Cap  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
Changing Annihilate - No Pop Cap
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »
I was sorta just wondering. You know how EF encourages "standard VP games" and not "Annihilate No pop cap stomp games"? Why dont we just remove the option of Annihilate no pop cap? IMO there seem to be more of them these days. Well the first, most obvious reason is that all of our no pop cap lovers would be very upset  ::).

So I suggest we make a VP-No popcap option and remove the Annihilate option. I know I suggested this in the past but I was never really told if it would be considered or not. IMO its not such a bad idea. It encourages VP games while still keeping the no popcap \ aspect. And honestly, in any competitive VP stand off, you usually wont hit popcap unless you are at a stalemate or if your territory has been cutoff and you have like, 20 popcap left. At which point you probably lost anyways ::).

So what do you think? Any alternative idea would be appreciated too :)

BTW are there any planned operations for EF? As in either a change in the operation or a entirely new operation?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:43:11 AM by Trannyhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Chancellor

Re: Changing Annihilate - No Pop Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:45 AM »
Not all newbies are like you Fish.  Some don't want to improve / be competitive, and never will.  They want settings that they can feel secure in.  These guys will revolt if the noob stuff like annihilate no pop-cap mode and the RMC are removed.

It also won't solve the problem and encourage people to play standard settings games, because these guys will just go back to normal annihilate comp stomp games on Leningrad if the annihilate no pop-cap option is removed completely.  You can't change them.  Even if the entire entity of CoH removed all annihilate settings, CPUs, and noob maps, these guys will probably just leave CoH altogether and go back to an FPS game or something.

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:38:45 AM »
they would more likely make "noob mod, for campy, arty filled, endless, antagonizing games."

im just messing, but seriously, i agree with your ideals fish, but if we did this it would kill off a lot of fans.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
Not all newbies are like you Fish.  Some don't want to improve / be competitive, and never will.  They want settings that they can feel secure in.  These guys will revolt if the noob stuff like annihilate no pop-cap mode and the RMC are removed.

It also won't solve the problem and encourage people to play standard settings games, because these guys will just go back to normal annihilate comp stomp games on Leningrad if the annihilate no pop-cap option is removed completely.  You can't change them.  Even if the entire entity of CoH removed all annihilate settings, CPUs, and noob maps, these guys will probably just leave CoH altogether and go back to an FPS game or something.

QFT...

Offline Rebel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
A VP-No popcap option would certainly get more people to play in VP mode.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:08 AM »
Guys. Seriously. No pop-cap is mode is destroying all game balance.

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
We've been discussing this topic over at the dev forums and we agreed that we may give it a chance in the next patch.

I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Guys. Seriously. No pop-cap is mode is destroying all game balance.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
It's worth a try. Plus it brings two advantages:

1.) There are no no-pop annihilation games anymore
2.) Players might get attracted to VP games.

So we'll give it a shot.

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Killar

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
We've been discussing this topic over at the dev forums and we agreed that we may give it a chance in the next patch.

Great idea! Then finally i can spam my redtide ability which is currently balanced by its pop cap. Just outcap the wehr player and wait till the VP is 0. :P

I hardly reach my pop limit, besides pop cap is a important game feature for competetive games.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »

Great idea! Then finally i can spam my redtide ability which is currently balanced by its pop cap. Just outcap the wehr player and wait till the VP is 0. :P

I hardly reach my pop limit, besides pop cap is a important game feature for competetive games.

yeah. Also nobody plays normal VP games, only noobish no popcap comp stopms all day long...

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »

I as well hardly reach my pop cap. It's there for a reason though.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »

I must admit on no pop cap games I do this too :P. But those are just for fun (we had like 20 IS-2s and 25 Panthers ;D).

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Rebel

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »

yeah. Also nobody plays normal VP games, only noobish no popcap comp stopms all day long...

::) Perhaps that should tell you something, such as that the majority of people prefer annihilate games. Seriously dude, no need to act superior because you play a certain game mode in a computer game. Both modes are equally fun IMO.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 02:48:46 AM »

::) Perhaps that should tell you something, such as that the majority of people prefer annihilate games. Seriously dude, no need to act superior because you play a certain game mode in a computer game. Both modes are equally fun IMO.

Equally fun but it all boils to competitive play, which is the whole purpose of multiplayer. Annihilate is not competitive gear. It's "Get high resources make a fort spam tanks and shit and raid their base"

A player can lose his base and still win in VP which makes it interesting