Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Airborne = Useless  (Read 23469 times)

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Airborne = Useless
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »

US: 15+50+45+30 = 140 total
Wehr: 15+35+50+50+35 = 185 total

Corrected your fuel cost to match Puma rush. Looks like you had a T2-T3 outlook but forgot the 50 cost to tech and 50 to build.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 01:31:32 AM »
A Puma is not a tank  :P. It can take bullet damage (although not alot ofc)
thanks, for clearing that up fish, sorry for the confusion, its really an armored car :-[

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »

US: 15+50+45+30 = 140 total
Wehr: 15+35+50+50+35 = 185 total

Corrected your fuel cost to match Puma rush. Looks like you had a T2-T3 outlook but forgot the 50 cost to tech and 50 to build.

TY for that fix Cranial ;). And that brings up another point. If your opponent get Pumas and M8s are already running around like a pain in the ass he will surely get 75mm upgrade to halt any further M8s. Which means they will be ALOT more ineffective vs Paras and you might simply be able to walk past it since it cant hit you anyways :P

A Puma is not a tank  :P. It can take bullet damage (although not alot ofc)
thanks, for clearing that up fish, sorry for the confusion, its really an armored car :-[

NP ;)

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:01 AM »
Puma: 35(skirmish)+50(assault)+35(sturm)+35(puma)=155
ATG: 95FU
M8: 120FU
M10: 195

If you have a little bit of map control, just go for an M10 which will fuck up any pumas. From there just build Shermans and RRs as necessary.

Never go WSC start in a 1v1 IMO. If you're keen on Snipers then go 2-3 rifles, WSC.

The phase bug has been overstated in this thread a little. RRs still counter Pumas, just not as well as zooks. They're vastly better against all tanks though. Airborne + fast TD is doom for Ami T3 IMO. Strafe will smash volks, Sherman will smash all except Stugs, RRs will dominate Stugs. Just work on having a good early/midgame and get some map control. Maybe OP a fuel point if you can find a good one. An example might be the one outside your base on Semois, or the main fuel on Sturz. Make sure you are harassing his fuel if you see lots of MP40 volks and assume a T3 rush.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »
well put. this pretty much sums it up.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »
I suggest getting the Hellcat rather then the M10. From what I hear there is still some "misfire" bug that I still dont understand. Also they have a MG to help stop Volks + suppres them to be run over ;D. But it wont really suppress them :P. Two will I think  :P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:50:54 AM by Trannyhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »
Yeah Hellcats are much better. Misfire bug (or burp bug) is where the M10 goes to shoot but the turret turns, LOS is blocked, you move too fast past the target etc. The gun will still shoot out smoke from the gun and will enter the reload cycle (you can't shoot again until it reloads) but the gun never actually fires. Lots of other weapons in the game do a similar thing, like the Soviet T70, and will constantly fire until they can ACTUALLY fire on the target. That way it looks like they're rapid firing. However, due to the fact the M10 firing animation is tied in (because it's open topped), it has to start the reload cycle even if it didn't fire properly.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:52:33 AM by GodlikeDennis »

Offline Monos

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »
I never start WSC, but i like getting support weapons to play with. Even mortars are really nice to have to avoid to much sneaky capping.

35(skirmish)+50(assault)+35(sturm)+35(puma)=155Fuel still with Mp40's
US: 15+(60)+50+45+30 = 200 total if you want Bars.

Guess your right though, the allies can rush vehicles really fast.

I also know that jeeps are good for recon and sniperhunting. But they fall off their game when Panzerfaust and such get's on the field. Sniper is not affected by that =P

The phase bug has been overstated in this thread a little.

No, i've tried it alot, RR's do not hit.. I have never even managed to destroy a immobilized one with RR's. But they seems to hit STUG's and Panzers like crazy. =)

Going to test more now. :)

I suggest getting the Hellcat rather then the M10.

Sure thang.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:46:09 AM by Monos »

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
First, you don't count the first 15FU for the barracks because you start with 15. Second, BARs aren't necessary in a vehicle rush.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
He previously said he wanted BARs in order to fight off infantry and maintain fuel control. Thats why he has factored in the 60 fuel :P. However getting BARs will delay you ALOT if your intentions are fast vehcles. Unless you are like dominating the map and have like all the fuel then its not advised. Just get 4 rifles IMO. They do fine. BARs will drastically improve AI but certainly not AT. And if you do see a Puma dont get stickies as a counter if you dont have your motor Pool up. You will just get kited to death.

You can also Jeep Push early in the game. Pretty useful :P
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:00:26 AM by Trannyhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Monos

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
Jeep pushing is fun.  ;D

Btw, fast M8 first, then BAR's and\or WSC wasn't as bad as i thought.

Airborne Fire-Up + Satchel charge on AT-guns feels so good, don't know why i've never used Satchels on anything else than buildings before =P

NEW QUESTION!

Do you EVER get second SupplyYard upgrade? 140 fuel! O.o

Side question

When do you use tanktraps?
I close of chokes on maps like semois sometimes and then mine gap on the other choke. 

Another question

Why does the Hard Wehr AI earn 16000MP and I just earn 10000. I also keep all the points of the map for most of the game but it earned 25% more fuel and munitions.

Does wehr just earn more MP than US?

Another game now, he made PUMA's and FLAK cannons + other AT.. Couldn't use infantry nor vehicles.
Got him down to 100 points while i had 480, had all sectors on the map and all looked good until he flipped it.

I checked the stats afterwards. He earned 700 Fuel, i got 500. 10,000 manpower, i got 6000.
I had the game all the way until he started pumping out vehicles like no tomorow. I destroyed like 15 out of 36 made tanks. I made 4 vehicles that game and was out of fuel, didn't even get BARS at all.

I got this weird feeling that it cheats when it starts losing. Thats real bad programming of AI. Why not make it smarter instead of giving it twice my amount of fuel.

I cut off his fuel, woho, i'm winning!
No wait.. he earned twice as much as me but didn't have any fuelpoints.. WTF?

So stupid.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:59:33 PM by Monos »

Offline EasyCalic

• Allied Commander
  • Strelky
  • Profesional slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
Yeh, tank traps are used to either close a gap like a hedge, or use it with an ATg so that they can't flank, or just make a funnel and put mines in the (hopefully) only exit. (Mind ya, there's a crapload of strategies besides what I just said, these are just the more obvious uses)

As taken from TVtorpes, the computer is a cheating bastard. To provide a challenge in hard and above it gets bonus resources to burn. You'll see it crank up units like they cost nothing and the like. EF improved the AI quite a bit, but it still wouldn't be able to compete without the resources boost.

Offline Monos

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
Yeh, tank traps are used to either close a gap like a hedge, or use it with an ATg so that they can't flank, or just make a funnel and put mines in the (hopefully) only exit. (Mind ya, there's a crapload of strategies besides what I just said, these are just the more obvious uses)

As taken from TVtorpes, the computer is a cheating bastard. To provide a challenge in hard and above it gets bonus resources to burn. You'll see it crank up units like they cost nothing and the like. EF improved the AI quite a bit, but it still wouldn't be able to compete without the resources boost.

Cool, cool =)

Did 3, 1vs1 against humans just now. Won all games vs Wehr as amri. Really something else that is.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »
Tank traps are good for small spots like hedge groove gaps. But don't waste your time on making a lot of them. Well road blocks are fun and can be easily built and provide green cover.

And the comp gets extra resources depending on the difficulty. And they get free units.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Monos

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:45 PM »
Tank traps are good for small spots like hedge groove gaps. But don't waste your time on making a lot of them. Well road blocks are fun and can be easily built and provide green cover.

And the comp gets extra resources depending on the difficulty. And they get free units.

Damn computer cheats like a bitch!

I've never used the traps for cover.. Wire on the other side to avoid the enemy use your cover.  Why am i making sandbags? :o