Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Counter-snipe vs SU. (and by extension Ostheer)  (Read 5595 times)

Offline EasyCalic

• Allied Commander
  • Strelky
  • Profesional slacker
    • View Profile
Counter-snipe vs SU. (and by extension Ostheer)
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:45:57 PM »
I haven't seen this reported before so here goes nothing.

I had the understanding that both US and Wher's snipers prioritized shooting other snipers above other targets when given the chance to fire, but against the soviets, herr heckenschutze (is that even spelled correctly? :P) prefers shooting conscripts instead. It makes for a really NOT fun time when trying to rid Soviets from their excess of citizens because of the need to manually aim for their snipers in the (usual and rather common) myriad of infantry around them.

Is it intended? Will this behavior extend to the Ostheer marskmen to make the amerikani snipers' lives hell too?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:56:17 PM by EasyCalic »

Offline donthateme

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • The Great War 1918 Mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Counter-snipe vs SU. (and by extension Ostheer)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Ofc this is not intended  :P We saw this (really big issue) and fixed it with last patch. Indeed Wehr-sniper favoured the unarmed members of a Conscript-squad instead of enemy Sniper last patch, but now Wehr-sniper should have 100% fire-priority to enemy sniper.

First of all please watch the replay and make sure, the enemy sniper was not out of range or cloaked again before you could conter-snip him. If possible, please upload a replay with the exact time this happened. I really cant believe this to be honest as I tested it in beta-version many times.

Cheers

Offline EasyCalic

• Allied Commander
  • Strelky
  • Profesional slacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Well, I'm up to 1.6.(something).2, and yeah, Soviet sniper was well within mine's range, I know because it shot a conscript ways back from the the S. sniper.

I can't provide replays because of my screwy computer not keeping replays for mods (yeah, I know which folders to look for, only vanilla replays appear), but hearing that it was already fixed... I'm wondering if it's not my computer the source instead.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:18:43 AM by EasyCalic »

Offline donthateme

• Beta Testers
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
Well, you know the rule: no replay, never happened  :P Anyways, I will check that issues, but I am 100% sure that this is fixed as I was the one who noticed it  ;D

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
Do snipers prioritize only other snipers, or do they, say, target a command squad over conscripts, or guards over strelky?
The wise general learns from the deaths of others.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Do snipers prioritize only other snipers, or do they, say, target a command squad over conscripts, or guards over strelky?

Iirc danko has priority over most other inf except guards?
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:57:21 AM »
This sorta doesn't have to do with sniper rioritizing but I've noticed that with this latest patch snipers tend to NOT have 100% accuracy against others. I was playing a game and several SU snipers were de camoed by a bike (evilSpike and his sniper spam :P). So I fired and it completeley missed. So he then gunned down my sniper with several snipers :(. This is only one instance. There are a lot more on EF. Can this please be looked into ???

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 04:59:53 AM »
This sorta doesn't have to do with sniper rioritizing but I've noticed that with this latest patch snipers tend to NOT have 100% accuracy against others. I was playing a game and several SU snipers were de camoed by a bike (evilSpike and his sniper spam :P). So I fired and it completeley missed. So he then gunned down my sniper with several snipers :(. This is only one instance. There are a lot more on EF. Can this please be looked into ???

If it was removed, it's removed. If it's still in there's a bug maybe. Misfire?

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:17:54 AM »
I was the one who noticed it  ;D

Oh you were, were you? :P

*cough* ZiS *cough*
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline donthateme

• Beta Testers
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
The ZiS was another problem. But with the Conscripts, it took hours for Killar and me to find out, that Sniper have fire priority ONLY at the unarmed Conscript-members. We wondered all the time, why it is so random that the Sniper shoots sometimes at Conscripts and then sometimes at the enemy Sniper lol. If there were only 4 squad-members alive (so all had weapons), the Sniper had again fire-priority to enemy Sniper. Nasty issue  :P
But I am 100% sure that this was fixed as I talked to Bish on X-Fire while he fixed it. Thats why I cant believe this problem still exists.

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
My counter-snipe technique is keep the sniper cloak and hold fire, when the enemy's sniper fire (and uncloak), just uncloak my sniper and he will automatically shoot the other sniper :P. And yeah, it's worked when use WH's sniper against SU's sniper, just used it yesterday (SU's sniper stayed behind a conscript squad too).
:X
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
My counter-snipe technique is keep the sniper cloak and hold fire, when the enemy's sniper fire (and uncloak), just uncloak my sniper and he will automatically shoot the other sniper :P. And yeah, it's worked when use WH's sniper against SU's sniper, just used it yesterday (SU's sniper stayed behind a conscript squad too).
:X

Or use Attack Move...Snipers auto have priority over infantry

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:46:50 AM »
Disabling hold fire is safer than disabling cloak Dann.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »
Yeah, it's safer. Right now I found out that uncloak sometime make the sniper crush to the nearest cover first then shoot later and end up being kill by counter-counter-snipe :P
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline SublimeSnugz

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • Zeh fucking truck won't lock down! Its OVAH! . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Right now I found out that uncloak sometime make the sniper crush to the nearest cover first then shoot later and end up being kill by counter-counter-snipe :P

If your sniper is not in cover, he will automatically run to the nearest cover before he shoots.