Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Calliope OMG  (Read 20729 times)

Offline Desert_Fox

• Translator
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Calliope OMG
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
Their Barrages did cost muni though. 125 IIRC

Calliope barriage has no ammo cost...just only cooldown time, that can be reduced with veterancy levels.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:26:34 AM by Desert_Fox »

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »

Calliope barriage has no ammo cost...just only cooldown time, that can be reduced with veterancy level.

in previous versions they did.

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

Calliope barriage has no ammo cost...just only cooldown time, that can be reduced with veterancy levels.
Yep, 125 ammo and their main gun, until armour was reworked in 1.5. Best thing was their phasing bug. Panzerschreck / pak / tank shells shooting from medium - long range would just fly through them without doing damage. And this could be made even worse with researching Smoke Canisters.

They were called "Plasma Shield Shermans". Good times...

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
first, i really don't know why you say they are OP after "Just faced one for the first time and omg omg omg.".  ::)

unit stats:
hummel: max range 200 (set up) / 115 (mobile), min range 35, cooldown 60s (vet 0) / 43s (vet3)
calliope: max range 150, min range 36, cooldown 80s (vet 0) / 65s (vet3)
hummel is a real arty with high damage and range and quite accurate, while calliopes are very good for area bombardments, but have terrible accuracy unless you get them close to the target. when attacked by them, keep moving ;) it hardly hits the same unit more than once unless it's close to the target.

calliope is the only mobile arty for US and they can have 2 of them. WM have nebels and stukas, PE have hummels. when used effiently hummels can also be game changers. and when you keep moving and don't blob your units, calliopes are not a real threat ;)

conclusion:
yes they are little trolls, but far from OP.

ps: i didn't watch your replay, but from your opening post, i can't imagine that he just did nothing and you had the whole map. he needs ressources and pop cap to have 3 calliopes (30 pop) + X riflemen...and all the ammo for the stickies... but guess i'm going to watch the replay now  :P just wanna see it  ;D

edit:
ok, i watched the replay and... :X
1. until the first calliope was called the game was quite even, with both sides holding about 50% of the map and you had more VP.
but you made a few lethal mistakes:
1. you used all your units in one group blobbed together -> easy target for calliopes, that's why casualties were so high
2. i saw those hummels parked right next to each other -> easy target for calliopes
3. i saw masses of unsupported tanks (panthers and panzer IV IS) rushing at his rifles (with sticky bombs+picked up schrecks) and AT gun -> bad idea and waste of ressources. even a lonely bergetiger trying to recover a wreck with rifles standing right next to it...
4. he used his calliopes quite efficently to shoot down every unit you used for capping
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:18:50 PM by Ghost »
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P

Offline jdogg

• Ingenery
  • re-enacting scenes from platoon with charlie sheen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:08 AM »
well put ghost, well put indeed

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
EiRR mod -> Armor doc -> unlock callies -> level up -> get 'Urban Survival Kit' -> callies get their main gun enabled and a shorter cooldown, as well as true tank criticals (less chance of a damaged engine etc) -> unlock double repair kits. 90+ kill callie per game? Yes plz.

Callie is so easy to use, and so easy to screw up with (firing at max range). In the right hands it's easily the most OP arty in the game--before someone says otherwise, I've been on both ends of it constantly in EiR--which hasn't tampered with it's rockets' stats--and I can say it's the biggest pain in the ass to kill when properly guarded. The fact that it has such a large spread means that moving simply won't cut it. Storms run like hell, just as quickly as your average P4 will. Callies HURT, and while they can't shit out shells quite as far as a howie or hummel will, if it targets something of yours with it's barrage, say gg.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
What does EiRR mean ???? And Im not sure what stance you are taking. You are saying Calliopes are OP ???

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
What does EiRR mean ???? And Im not sure what stance you are taking. You are saying Calliopes are OP ???

It's a mod for COH (Europe on Ruins). Quite revolutionary.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 04:20:23 AM »

How so ????

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 05:49:09 AM »

How so ????

You arrange your battalions and squads BEFORE the battle based on gains from former battles. You can keep vet for your units after the battle and use them for other battles. Once you lose a unit you lose it for good. You start with no HQs or buildings, it's all based on calling in your battalions.

It's kinda neat.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
Anyone wanna play EIR ???

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
I Lol'd.

We're off topic, and As the OP has been answered I recommend closing this discussion.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
I Lol'd.

We're off topic, and As the OP has been answered I recommend closing this discussion.

I just figure I'd ask b4 this topic got closed :P. I know that's where its headed

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »