Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: The not so gentle Art of Defencing.  (Read 12755 times)

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: The not so gentle Art of Defencing.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »
The Soviets are designed to be an offensive force. Historically, they may have been very powerful defensively, but in-game they need to be balanced against the near-turtle Commonwealth forces.

On the historical part, the battle in the east was largely a tug of war. Both sides fell back heavily, then pushed rapidly in counterattack. The only sturdy fortifying was done around major cities (Leningrad, Stalingrad, Sevastopol, Moscow, etc.). To this end, I can understand way the Soviet faction wasn't designed as a fortifying army. Although from what has been released, the Ostheer can be a fortifying army, which would not be my choice between the two. But whatever, I'm not a developer.
The wise general learns from the deaths of others.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
Camping armies are boring armies anyway.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 12:29:30 AM »
Not necessarily. Personally, I like to turtle, and build up something really powerful, like a strike force of 3 or 4 elite squads. Then strike deep, and pull back when needed. It is also interesting to try and counter as efficiently as possible. You can't just spam MGs and AT guns everywhere, you need to find (or create) specific avenues of approach.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
Not necessarily. Personally, I like to turtle, and build up something really powerful, like a strike force of 3 or 4 elite squads. Then strike deep, and pull back when needed. It is also interesting to try and counter as efficiently as possible. You can't just spam MGs and AT guns everywhere, you need to find (or create) specific avenues of approach.

When I say Camping Armies are Boring Armies, I am referring specifically to the British whom are infamous for Sim Cities with the multitude of emplacements. Furthermore when there is a massive defense force (Like such are buildable on maps with chokepoints like Vire River) that does not constitute fun gameplay for me, just who can spam the most arty.

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »
Or who can invent a creative way to break through, catching the arty-heavy enemy with their pants own. ;)

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:22 AM »
@Trooper and Cranial: You are both right! although I would use the term tedious rather than boring. As trooper points out camping can be effective. And Cranial's POV is important because vCOH is an action game, Verdun type situations do cause players to lose interest; which would be death to the game/ mod. I believe allowances need to be included for both aggressive and defensive playstyles so that the maximum size player pool can be obtained and maintained for both vCOH and EF. Sadly The AI engine used for compstomps leads to Verdun type situations, but without an AI engine the game wouldn't work very well (or maybe wouldn't work at all). To this end I say make the AI Strong.
1. Certainly you can play them however you want but it doesn't change the fact that Soviets aren't designed to be played very defensively... 2. It is optimal to play them aggressively, the same as US.

3. The bolded portion is not opinion but fact. Many faction mechanics reflect the design that Soviets are aggressors and Wehr the defenders, as many games work out. That isn't to say that in each game there isn't defending and attacking by both sides but Wehr is happier when on the defense and Soviets have a lot of design features to make them need to be offensive.

4. Some examples; high upkeep, low reinforce, lots of SMGs, nades, artillery options, heavy mortars, satchel charges, weaker endgame than Axis etc.
1. My comments here are not personal criticisms. Dennis knows this. Others need to be aware of my intent. Dennis if what you say is true about the Design Issues, and as a member of the sandbox lot you should know; I think a mistake is being made. The assumption that "Wher is happier when on the defense" needs be considered in light of the fact that Wher was designed as an AI faction. The mindless MGs with their outlandishly wide arcs of fire, purchased vet, and the plethora of off map artillery are examples of AI bias built into Wher. Sure players take advantage of this but I think it colors the Dev Team  into a "Maginot Line" type thinking. It need not be so. In competitive team play one Wher player can ignore T1, initially and concentrate on T3 production. There is presently a minimum two minute window of opportunity that can be extended with Wher production bonuses which can be used by this aggressive Wher team member, (Drool, bite your shield), to spearhead a drive to hurl the Sov faction, - in its present stage of development), to Vladivostok. augmented by a routinely aggressive PE and and canny defensive Wher player I thinks the Sov Faction has a real problem, - in its current stage of development). At present the Sov counter is a passive/soft one. It seems to me that NI is being buffed to address this issue and that is a good start. (BTW I think the Law of Unintended Consequences is going to appear with the new PTRD). Rhetorical question: Are you  comfortable with the current balance between PE and Sov? Enough of what I think.
2. Agreed.
3. See response 1.
4. Building a weaker endgame into a faction design is foolish. The end-game should be left to the Players, (or the clock).I have no problem with building offensive power into the Sov Faction. Maybe the Sovs don't need many defensive abilities. I try to make my defensive ability suggestions low-tech from a design point of view. I am working on alternative Strategies that can be used for what I see as weakness's in the Sov faction at this time. I may be wrong. Hard to say. I have degenerative physical problems that will probably prevent me from ever being a competitive player in any RTS game. (And frankly I spend my energies in this regard so I can continue playing music). But I like to play EF and I want to see EF work.

Q. Stormovie/Ingenery reinforce costs seem low to me. In light of your examples given above that is not an issue. Why, (when?), do the reinforce costs drop from 18 to 15?

I lied in my last post. Think about how and when you can use wire cutter ability in your Defencing thinking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:53:37 AM by Otto Halfhand »
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:20 AM »
The PE/USSR balance is not good and is a primary focus of our next patch. NI are actually being very slightly nerfed vs PE. Other changes are being made to help this balance. Against Wehr, the balance is extremely good. Soviets have a very strong endgame for an Allied faction but they still don't hold a candle to Wehr. Purchased vet is the main reason Wehr endgame is so strong because other factions will lose their vet units but Wehr can just make new ones. When I say Wehr endgame is stronger, it's not a huge difference but it only takes a small difference to change the battle completely against evenly matched people. If you don't like it, talk to Relic.

As for Wehr being designed as an AI faction, I disagree. All the factions are designed to be played in any game mode, by and against human opponents. While Wehr CAN be aggressive, as all factions can in many aspects, they are more suited to defending with a heavy emphasis on reaching their endgame, bunkers, heavy weapon crews etc. Even their SMGs are defensively inclined as they have poor moving modifiers. Wehr also has defensively oriented arty, as evident by the short range of the Stuka or the suppressing power of the nebel. They are not as strong at destroying defenses compared to a 105mm. This dynamic of Wehr preferring to hold a defense is what lead to the interesting gameplay of Wehr vs US back when the game was released. It ensured that US players would have to be aggressive to win, therefore there would always be combat. Many balance changes since vCoH 1.0 have emphasised this more and more, like removing double Pershings from armour doctrine. Since there is the need to be aggressive by one side, there is always stuff going on and the game is fun to play rather than just sit and wait for something to happen.

Ingenery reinforce is fine. Sturmovie reinforce should be set to 45mp or something like that. If it's not, it's a bug.

What instrument do you play?
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »
The PE/USSR balance is not good and is a primary focus of our next patch. NI are actually being very slightly nerfed vs PE. Other changes are being made to help this balance. Against Wehr, the balance is extremely good. Soviets have a very strong endgame for an Allied faction but they still don't hold a candle to Wehr. Purchased vet is the main reason Wehr endgame is so strong because other factions will lose their vet units but Wehr can just make new ones. When I say Wehr endgame is stronger, it's not a huge difference but it only takes a small difference to change the battle completely against evenly matched people. If you don't like it, talk to Relic.

As for Wehr being designed as an AI faction, I disagree. All the factions are designed to be played in any game mode, by and against human opponents. While Wehr CAN be aggressive, as all factions can in many aspects, they are more suited to defending with a heavy emphasis on reaching their endgame, bunkers, heavy weapon crews etc. Even their SMGs are defensively inclined as they have poor moving modifiers. Wehr also has defensively oriented arty, as evident by the short range of the Stuka or the suppressing power of the nebel. They are not as strong at destroying defenses compared to a 105mm. This dynamic of Wehr preferring to hold a defense is what lead to the interesting gameplay of Wehr vs US back when the game was released. It ensured that US players would have to be aggressive to win, therefore there would always be combat. Many balance changes since vCoH 1.0 have emphasised this more and more, like removing double Pershings from armour doctrine. Since there is the need to be aggressive by one side, there is always stuff going on and the game is fun to play rather than just sit and wait for something to happen.

Ingenery reinforce is fine. Sturmovie reinforce should be set to 45mp or something like that. If it's not, it's a bug.

What instrument do you play?

This, to beat a dead horse. Otto, I think you're thinking TOO outside the box.  :-\

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:30 AM »
A brief point on the "Wer built as naturally defensive, forcing US to be offensive" idea: Did it occur to anyone how CoH was initially released as a game portraying the US' (and by default the Allies') push through France and into Germany? It was designed to portray the Germans at a time when they were defensive. Historically. vCoH is set in a time period when the Axis was on the defensive, and the Allies were advancing. Of course Wer plays defensively, that's the point. We're not playing out the invasion of Poland here, or the Battle of Britain. This is the push into Germany. That's why it is tough to balance Sov against Wer, Wer is portrayed from '44-'45. Sov and Ost are portrayed from '41 - '45, so both need to be offensive and defensive.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
+1

One aspect of Defencing concerns directing the enemy's attention elsewhere. Your vanilla engineer is very good at this. Lay some wire across a bridge abutment or across a constricting terrain feature and your opponent will direct around your obstacle. Don't worry your opponent will be back with a vehicle to undo your work sooner or later. Even your AI allies vehicles go out of their way to do this. (sometimes the AI backs up to do this)! :P That of course is the aggressive response. A soft approach is to have your builder cut the wire. They can do this in three different ways:
  • cut enemy wire: obvious advantages.
  • cut your own wire: good for sorties behind the enemy's lines. Also allows you improve your position when time is available.
  • cut the computer's wire (on map wire).
This last tactic is particularly useful on modder produced maps. A good modding mapper is a sneaky bastard worthy of your respect. I am always delighted when I discover a needless anomaly on a map that is just far enough off the beaten path to go unobserved and big enough to park a Funkwagon in. ;) A well designed map also has locations allowing certain units to cap while out of sight and/or while in good cover. I suspect Mystic Car and Maxi, to mention just two are KampfGrupper's at heart.

Builders take 3x damage during construction and repair operations. Other infantry suffer various penalties when operating near wire. (Don't know about vehicles). Cutting on map wire then can give your combat troops a little better cover, (IE remove negative cover penalties), offer swifter movement through choke points, open up otherwise non-accessible areas of the map early in the game, and bugger AI controlled aspects of the game. I can hear the harumphs from the Players now. Simple fact. The AI controls retreat pathing; (or advance pathing when considering the ZIS "Good Humor Truck") By cutting the map wire and strategically placing a piece or two of your own you can nudge the retreat paths towards areas where opportunity fire from mortars or MG nests can inflict additional damage or maybe even cut down a squad. I hope you do set your mortars for indirect fire on choke points when not otherwise engaged.

A lot of this stuff is pretty obvious. The point is that most players are "aggressively" oriented and don't necessarily pay attention to little things that take time to implement. Good Defencing takes advantage of this and tries to take advantage of the AI as well. I do not advocate using Defencing to implements exploits. That is sensless - although frequently fun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:31:06 PM by Otto Halfhand »
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 02:47:52 AM »
How many sandbags do you build? The comp as well as the AI seem to want to build only one unit of sandbags at a stretch. Is it possible the AI knows something we don't. Anybody know if a single sandbag 1x1 offers more or less cover than say 1x3 or 1x4 sandbags?
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 02:51:28 AM »
I've never seen the AI bud sandbags. But you should build around 4-5 sandbags IMO. Dont wast your time making too many. And put either wire or mines on the opposite side. If a tank tries to run you over: SPLAT. If infantry try to use your cover: SPLAT

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 02:53:17 AM »
How many sandbags do you build? The comp as well as the AI seem to want to build only one unit of sandbags at a stretch. Is it possible the AI knows something we don't. Anybody know if a single sandbag 1x1 offers more or less cover than say 1x3 or 1x4 sandbags?

They offer the same cover values, but the longer the wall the easier it is for your troops to use that cover effectively. Building a 1x1 is often done in a rush to protect a Volk squad from a Riflesquad in a house when they can not find sufficient cover at range.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:00 AM »
Building a 1x1 is often done in a rush to protect a Volk squad from a Riflesquad in a house when they can not find sufficient cover at range.

Can you explain this ???

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »
Volks are given sandbags because they need to use cover at range to win their engagements. Building sandbags and wire can be a difference of life and death for a Volk, especially when a Rifle takes a house. A rifle will win in the house. (It's actually a tossup, but assuming your volk has no cover and is facing the side with many windows, he will lose) However, if you move to the side of the house with less windows (1-2) and build a sandbag for the green cover, your volks should come out on top.