Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Need tips  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Crinkle

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Need tips
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I've recently started tinkering with the world builder and so am still not very good with it.

Could i possibly get some feedback on how to improve for future maps i may create (other than make it bigger).

Anyway, I made this map a few days ago and i find it rather fun playing against hard or expert computer however it is easilly won by spamming anti tank infantry as bots seem incapable of reacting effectively to this.

It is built on the smallest size possible to ensure immediate fighting and action.

I also wanted to focus on the low tech side of COH and so i have added only 1 fuel point with the intention that people will battle over this point as the main focus.

It is fairly new so if you play it please tell me how i could improve it/anymore i make in the future.

I had no intention of this map even being with the mod as it falls shy of almost all of the rules.

Ignore it's name, i aded that as a guide and it turened out to be different but i don't know how to change the name for the ingame map (I said i was new).

Also, it is in SGB format so i think you need to export it via the world builder.
i've added the other files now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:36:12 PM by Crinkle »

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Need tips
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
Attaching only the .sgb file doesn't work, sorry. You'll need also the .info and the .scar.
Even some screenshots in this thread would be nice.

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 03:18:12 PM
So here is what you could do:

• Enlarge your map, the larger, the better. At least until a certain size, shouldn't be bigger than 640x640.
  • Use SPLATS! You can find them in between of the Tile and Spline tools. Using Splats is very important to create decent maps, also make sure to play aroung with the "Opacity" slider of the Splat tool, most Splats look odd with full opacity.
  • Apparently you already know how to place Splines, however try to also lower the mud_tracks opacity using the "Colorize" button and set the alpha value on both sides to a value from 75 to 125.
  • I spot a lack of variation in your use of objects and I also miss details such as crates, barrels and all those small objects. What about some nature? The trees of the folder "trees_s" are a fantastic choisce, especially the generic ones when it comes to beauty and detail.

This is all I have to say to you at the moment. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:18:27 PM by MaxiKing6 »

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline Crinkle

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »
thank you Maxi.
i've got a lot to work on ;D

Offline Mattdamon07

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:14 AM »
Add more splats and detail!
Eviction [WIP]
"What is it !? I am busy Fighting Americans!"- Stormtrooper.