Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: New game mode Suggestions -> Suggest game modes here  (Read 22696 times)

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: New game mode
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
Sounds like the HQ gamemode from CoD
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Alternate name: Running VPs XD. Switch Up?

I think it seems like a cool idea. Mysterious and harder to camp.
Added name suggestion to list, ye that was main point not to camp and game gets a little harder.

I have also tried to swap locations of other strategic point without making them neutral but then there is huge mess on map :D so i will stick to VPs only. Maybe when i get new idea for game mode to generate few extra res point duuno will see :P.

Sounds like a shell game to me. I think you have a winner jojo.

occurs to me that VPs could be located to strategic intersections or choke points. could lead to interesting meeting engagements and fire fights.

Interesting fights yes, well it all depends on random factor where they will appear.

May I suggest (asuming it hasn't been done) only 1 VP, it moves every 5min or less, and the gametype is called CTF?
I said that am not sure that any mod has it cuz i did not saw it yet :). What about big maps on some maps there are 5 points right? But i like the idea.
Added to idea list and name to name suggestions list.
Maybe on those big map only 3 appear but not always same 3, so 2 VPs will be hidden but not all the time same 2 VPs :).

Sounds like the HQ gamemode from CoD
That is my favorite game mode in CoD, there is only 1 HQ same like Trooper425 suggested for CTF, here we have 3 :P but you get the point, no more camping :D.

NOTE TO DEVS:
When i will have basic version(probably today just some tuning and tweaking) I will push it into internal version so you can play test it and approve it or not, then i can finish it if it gets approved.

LITTLE OFF TOPIC
Should we keep all new game modes suggestions on one topic? So they are not spread all across the forum.
Or list with links to other ideas maybe idk whatever you think is better.
I could keep the list of new game mode / mini game suggestions in first post when devs say no it will appear in list like this new GM. So if devs say no to inf only then it is strike through and i hope ppl won't ask again and again for it :).

NOTE:
About inf only i personally don't like it cuz some factions don't have much infantry, inf + light vehicles + medium vehicles maybe but other devs need to approve new ideas before it gets done i won't do it without their approval. So don't ask me about inf only. Also many mods have inf only so it is not unique and we need unique ideas.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »
There is already a gamemode with one VP called KOTH (which is why I didn't suggest that name) or King Of The Hill

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
There is already a gamemode with one VP called KOTH (which is why I didn't suggest that name) or King Of The Hill
I did not saw it, does that one VP change position or it is on fixed position?

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
I did not saw it, does that one VP change position or it is on fixed position?

It is already implemented in EF 1.6 scroll down the gamemodes. The gamemode searches for a VP in the middle (radius of 50) if it doesn't find one, it just places one there :P.

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »
I found it :P, thanks. But it seems to me that it is always spawned at middle of the map, maybe on some maps it is not idk :).
Can that dropdown list get a little bigger so ppl can actually see what is there i never noticed KOTH before.
And yes it is static always on one place. BTW KOTH seems interesting game mode :).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:25:55 PM by jojorabbit »

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
@jojo: yeah, on bigger maps have more VPs and give them a little more time before moving.

@KOTH: *facepalm* duh. Well I guess my addition is the moving VPs :P oops.
The wise general learns from the deaths of others.

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »
Will post more details soon, just to finish test version.

Do you mean to add "moving VPs" as name suggestion or something else?

KOTH already exists in EF as Walky said.

Updated some stuff, test version is ready :P.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:38:10 AM by jojorabbit »

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
@Walki
Should i change existing KOTH game mode to also move that 1VP all over the map or around the center so it is not always on same position? What do you think?

--
I have decided to make this sticky and rename it to New Game Modes Suggestions so that all game modes are in one place not spread out all over the forum, i also hope that when devs say no to for example inf only then ppl won't ask more about it.
Also i saw some of old game mode suggestions i liked few :P when i will have extra time to spare am gonna give a try to some of them. If anyone has anything against making it sticky feel free to un-sticky it :).

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
@Walki
Should i change existing KOTH game mode to also move that 1VP all over the map or around the center so it is not always on same position? What do you think?

No. Remeber that your Gamemode could cause balance issues as the VP's are affected by pseudo randomnumbers. So it could be that the middle VP could be closer to the left player then to the right for more than one time.

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
Re: New game mode Suggestions -> Suggest game modes here
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
Ye maybe it will cause balance issues that is why i decided just to move them in radius 15 from their original position. Without using original position sometimes 2 points come very close to one player :). But that can also be tweaked to 50:50 so that both players have same chances :).
AFAIK Inf Only mode causes a lot more balance issues then moving VP :P (No offence).

You r right, since in koth is only 1 point moving could always result close to one player.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:56:16 PM by jojorabbit »

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »

AFAIK Inf Only mode causes a lot more balance issues then moving VP :P (No offence).

Can we make one though? ;D I have some suggestions :D

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
It can be made AFAIK, only the team needs to approve it :P and that is not easy to get :P, but IMO Inf mode should have some minor tweaks to be at least more balanced then it is.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:38:22 PM by jojorabbit »

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
Can we make one though?  I have some suggestions
Am listening :). Post them here or send me PM. I have some other game modes suggestions including some ideas for EF inf only. But did not had much time to try them all :P.
Remember it should be balanced as much as possible. I will add your name to Suggested by ;).

Note: From game mode file i can modify a lot to squad like health, cost, etc to balance them.
That modifications will only apply to that game mode (inf only in this case) so maybe you will get more ideas ;) and we don't have to create new squads and tons of changes in rgd :P.
Also remember that inf only mode in some mods i have seen only remove tanks from production rest is same.

One of my suggestions to inf only is that each faction has 5-7 inf units + sniper so it is more balanced IMO, maybe all spawnable from one building but some of them wont be unlocked until 5-10 mins of game :P - your choice.
I will try to code everything that i can when i will have more time.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Well when I said suggestions I meant I had ideas how to balance a inf only mode. But same thing really :P. IMO BOTB mod has a general good idea on how to execute such a format. Only recon units and HTs are available. However teching will be required so it forces to option b/w advanced inf. and vehicles. Doctrines could be changed as to help infantry (better performance, buildable stuff, etc.) Teching would also be required for certain infantry (snipers, HMG, heavy infantry, AT infantry, etc). Just throwing some things out ;)

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"