Author Topic: DayZ  (Read 10628 times)

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
DayZ
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
Anybody else played this yet? I've heard people harping on about it for at least... a month. It's a Zombie survival mod for ArmaII, but it's set in a totally online, consistent world where people scavenge, steal and murder just to survive the zombie apocalypse. I've watched a few people play it and I have to say, although I got over Zombie games after the first Resident Evil, this is a proper hardcore survival game, even more so than Fallout or Stalker. I bought Arma II at full price just to play it. :-X

When I say hardcore, I mean haaaardcore. You don't even start off with a weapon! You have to run around a zombie infested town, dodging the undead and other players alike just to find a pistol or a knife, you're not even guaranteed to have bullets if you're lucky enough to come across a gun. On top of this, if you get shot or bitten or run into some barbed wire, you start to bleed everywhere and need to heal yourself with a bandage... no bandages? Well, you'll be dead in a few minutes then. You also need to make sure you're well fed and watered and supplies are extremely short... in the 4 villages I searched, I found 1 can of coke, a hatchet which was useless and a double barreled shotgun with no shells. I also found a crossbow, but I felt shotgun shells were probably more common than crossbow bolts.

In my noobishness I started running around the town looking for something to protect myself with, attracting ALOT of zombie attention. The Zombies are basically blind, they rely on their hearing to sense where you may be... so if you're running about, Zombies lock on to you very quickly, but if you walk calmly or crouch/prone, you can move virtually undetected.

So, does anybody actually play this? Because I had my first taste today and I really enjoyed it, despite not finding any fecking weapons or supplies ;D

I also thought that people could share their survival stories here if you have any. Being an open ended game, with tonnes of shit going on and plently of people playing, even the most mudane boring of times in the game can be interesting. ;)

http://dayzmod.com/

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: DayZ
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Lol Burro! Next time join Mumble! Dave, Rizz and me play it :P.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »
My nerves are shot after that last game, killing that bitch who killed you while you were waiting for me and Paul to give you a blood transfusion. I managed to make it up to Stary Sobor, on the hill behind the town, I really need to find a weapon other than the Lee Enfield ;D

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:01 AM »
I'm thinking of getting ARMA II just to play this mod, but isn't ARMA III coming soon?

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »
I'm thinking of getting ARMA II just to play this mod, but isn't ARMA III coming soon?

Thats Exactly what I did, and I'll tell you, its worth it.

Burro, even though many good things are up North, go Southwest and their is plenty of crossbow shots in a shack.
That is my main weapon, silent but deadly. Along with a random Bus I found. If I had more Gas, I would ride it everywhere ;D
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:23 AM »
ArmA II has sold more copies since DayZ came out than when it was just standalone :P I mean, when I heard that I thought 'Do people really like Zombies that much?', but now that I've played it some more I don't even think it's the zombie aspect that's made it popular, I think it's the free roaming survival aspect, it must trigger some primal part of the brain.

Currently I'm holding Walki's stuff and I'm not exactly partial to dying, so I'm hiding for now until he comes back online tomorrow maybe to hand it to him. I'd hate to lose his shit to a glitch or something after all the crap we've been through, and after sinking a bullet into the head of the bastard who killed him. ;D

Walki liked his crossbow, we'll probably head off to find another tomorrow and check out some deer shacks for bolts. I'm totally shooting assholes on sight now though, no point in hesitating.

TBD 2013, so ArmA III could be a year away, could be 6 months away. Either way, DayZ is pretty epic, given you can find people to play with. Once you get some more of the major loot, you suddenly feel like dying isn't an option and need to start shooting everybody on sight just to say alive. As I've found, the Zombies are more reasonable than most players.

I also believe that the guy who made DayZ is working for Bohemia now and we may see DayZ in some official capacity with ArmA III, but don't quote me on that. Would be awesome though.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:10 AM »
Would love it. Currently, am alone, and I like it. Am gathering to get my Helicopter working, though with all the Glitches going on I don't think its going to end well. Plus, my Bus Attracts Zombies from (sorta) miles, so every time I drive to town I end up spending 5 min to shoot zombies :-X. And the random player that hears me.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 06:35:27 AM »
Ma crossbow my ghille suit :(. Why that guy shot me actually?

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
To nick all your stuff, besides the stuff you actually liked :P I got a murder which was weird, because he had all your stuff on him, I should have got a bandit kill.

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »
sorry i didn't find this thread earlier, but no i dont play this, YET. i am seriously getting this game just to get this mod, as it looks boss, and pretty realistic.
this is how i found out about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQGzHcOn650&feature=g-hist

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
If there is a saleoff of this game, I will consider buying it and play this mod. I bought CoH just to play EF after all.
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »
@Dann88
Same here :D!
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
If there wasn't EF, I will spend all days killing stupid AIs and angry noobs :P
I hope there is a "hidden and dangerous" mod for this game. That will be awesome! ;D
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »
Burro, his brother and me yesterday gathered ourselves at Cherno and now we are heading towards the nothern airstrip. Had some nice stories on the way. Like the one where Burros brother is getting teleported back to a fireplace we were at 30 minutes ago to finish up his steak :D. We also found a chopper crash which had night vision googles inside now we are somewhere in the woods near Stary Sabor :P. Had a nice round yesterday and I'm looking for continuing it :D.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Absolutely ;D

I was mistaken btw, I thought we were near Stary Sobor heading towards Novy Sobor, but Stary isn't the only place with that weird Water tower, Gorka has one too... I was watching a Let's Play yesterday and the guy doing it headed straight to the same block of concrete we did just before I shoved a crowbar up that cow's backside. So it appears we're just above Polana, which means if we head straight north we'd hit Krasnostav in about 10 minutes. I'm temped to pitch camp in the forest below Black mountain btw and hide some stuff there, Black mountain has no loot, no zombies, no deer stands, and hopefully no epic-gear bandits running around with their thermal fucking machine guns as they like to pitch up further North and to the far West.

We should circle the airfield first before we head in, Bandits like to keep overwatch on the strip and hangers just to give you a bad day. Not as bad as the NW airstrip though, I've heard that shit is essentially the Stalker Chernobyl NPP of DayZ, you'll be lucky to get in alive.