Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Urban warfare tactics  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Drake22

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
Urban warfare tactics
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
So I'm alittle lost on how to best take advantage of this command tree choice. Flares are a nice little tool, but the only reason I ever take this tree is to troll with the sniper ace. The partisans aren't as effective to me without their traps, and the armored call in is kinda like a heavy duty StuH, which is alright but by the time you get it is usually gonna get shot up by Pz4's and paks.

Any tips/tricks for me guys?

Chancellor

Re: Urban warfare tactics
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
So I'm alittle lost on how to best take advantage of this command tree choice. Flares are a nice little tool, but the only reason I ever take this tree is to troll with the sniper ace. The partisans aren't as effective to me without their traps, and the armored call in is kinda like a heavy duty StuH, which is alright but by the time you get it is usually gonna get shot up by Pz4's and paks.

Any tips/tricks for me guys?

The thing about Urban is that it's a very use / situation - specific doctrine.  You're not going to get a strong "jack-of-all-trades" unit like the Tiger I or a good all-around ability like the IL-2 strike.  What you'll get, however, are units that are very strong, but only in their specific roles.

For example, the Sniper Ace is exactly what he's for: killing infantry.  Call him in only if there's some heavy infantry spam going on by your opponent.  If you do call him in, make to concentrate on buying more tanks or AT then, because you're expected to have the anti-infantry department already covered if you have this unit.

The KV-2 is very good against bunkers and infantry.  Obviously if your opponent doesn't have much of either, don't get this unit.  If your opponent does have a lot of infantry and bunkers, chances are he will have only around 1-2 "soft-counter" AT units.  With micro, your KV-2 will manage.  If he has a lot of infantry and bunkers that you need to counter and also a lot of AT guns or tanks to counter your KV-2, then you'd better use other units such as the Artillery Firebase or other tanks to support your KV-2 or else you're obviously fucked anyways.

The main point is that Urban Doctrine offers units that specialize in what they do.  Think of them like strong supplements to your army instead of major power boosters like the King Tiger.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:48:57 AM by Yauz »

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
IMO Urba is more orientied towards anti infantry. So if there is gren/volk spam, its a viable option. Or if u r facing PE and they have mass PG.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Dreamerbg

• Balancer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
    • EF mod stream channel :)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
MO is that Urban is ok to be used only if you get your opponent in the corner.
No arty, no AT  - so nothing that can give you a chance to change the game in your favor if it is 50:50 or something.

Offline Riggsman

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Urban imho is a Early-Mid game booster Doctrine. You can really put pressure with Urban early on and with combined arms you have big chance to make the opponent throw the towel.

Flamers for Ingenery, very powerful Phosphorus nades for Strelky, AI beast and bunker buster KV2 or sneaky Partisans to take out bunker or catch a retreating sniper behind the lines etc.

If you can't manage to beat yr opponent quickly, you have to rely on your teching and base building units for the late game. So you can't throw a ISU152/IS3 or spam Katyushas on the field even if you suck all game. I guess Urban needs more micro and if played correctly it's pretty fun and effective.

We are working on some tweaks for the RHS Urban in order to make it more solid. You'll see soon.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:06:08 PM by Riggsman »