Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet emplacements  (Read 2027 times)

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
  • MG42: 1200 rounds of fun for the whole family!
    • View Profile
    • Mediterranean Mod Sub-forum
Soviet emplacements
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
With the new version OP announced, I was wondering if the team is planning to do any simmilar updates for other Soviet emplacement that currently 'borrow' British versions...? The most obvious examples being the MG nest and the Artillery... But even the 'dug-in' Elite zis-2 AT guns...

> The Artilery would be easiest... Just create a similar 'hole' with the same double wooden 'walls' as the OP, with one section 'cut out' to provide access, and line the inner walls with ammo crates and the like... Maybe use the existing 'wooden bunker' model to make up a wall section for storage and drape the Red Army flag over that?
> The MG nest would be a little harder... Maybe just take the existing (new) OP, make the center completely hollow, then shrink the whole lot down so there is only enough room for the MG itself, and then put the british style roof over the top... You'd have to look closer to see the difference, but it's minor details like that that drew me to the EF mod in the first place...
> For the 'dug-in' AT gun... Well, I'm actually working on an idea for that myself... It would be sketches rather than in-game models or anything (I can't do that stuff to save myself), but would hopefully make the point just as well...

But anyway, it we re-establish a sense of soviet emplacement uniformity, which will only help to make the SU appear even more unique and thus more appealing as a choice to play as...

Thanks for listening,

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet emplacements
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
The MG nest will be updated later, but I'm not sure if will be based on the same building :P. About the Firebase, you might see the new version soon ;).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
good ideas all, and i believe the devs are working on some of them. however, if you want to apply as a modeler, i believe there are still openings. (although more for 2d artists)

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
Well, if your sketch looks interesting I think it can be used :). Walki hasn't done the OBR.1927 and the MG emplacements yet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:56:14 PM by blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »
Cool! I figured you guys already had something in mind! Good to see that I was right!

As much as I would LOVE to be able to create new models and such myself, that kind of 'programing' might as well be magic to me... Best I can offer is 'concept art' of my ideas... At least that might help cut down on creation time for someone who does have the necessary skills...

I'll be working on the sketch(es) over the Next day or two, certainly by the end of the weekend (my -Australian- time mind-you). Until then, here is a link to my dev-art page when I have some drawings of buildings (amongst other things) to show as examples: http://jonarus-drakus.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3a2qiz

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
Edited my previous post :).

Any kind of help is appreciated, and we know not everyone has the talent, patience or time to do what we do :). I'm sure if your work is good Walki might find inspiration ;D.
Mors Indecepta

Offline Dreamerbg

• Balancer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
    • EF mod stream channel :)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
Have you guys noticed this "problem" with OBR  - when you are building it, its range is soo little and when it is build its range becomes to its normal.
1st time when I want to use it I change my mind when I saw this little range.

Can you fix this ?

Sorry if my post is not for this thread.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
Or maybe make a big yellow circle like they do wit artillery and the flak 88 to show range

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »
It is already fixed for the next patch IIRC.
Mors Indecepta

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Okay... So there is good news and bad news on the 'concept art' front... The bad being that I don't have any 'finished' designs yet... The good news is that I have a very good reason why (Okay, one really good reason and one stupid one...)

Basically, I started on the mind-set of updating emplacements to cosmetically match the new (incoming) OP design... It kinda actually spiraled from there and I now a have ideas for everything from "AT Gun-pits" to new base-buildings on the boil... I figured it would be better to wait until I finished them all... Unless there is something in particular the the Devs think is particularly pressing (In which case I'll focus there)...

((The "Other" reason for the delay is that I just got 'Dawnguard' for Skyrim ^^; ))

~JD
~ MedMod Dev