Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: How to deal with massive Pak+Puma+Stug/Geschultzwagen Spam VS Expert/Hard Wehr  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
Yes, those ping will attract your AI allies and they will follow your pings to rest of the match :P
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
I find tanks traps to be semi useless, AI or not. They take too much time to build when you could be doing other things. Except against PE when it really screws them over. For example on the map industrial riverbed (i think that's the name) where the only med. fuel is a small passage way in, you can stop all vehicles with just 2-3 tanktraps and it makes it uper hard for them to take and hold. But laying out a  long string of it is a waste IMO

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Yes, those ping will attract your AI allies and they will follow your pings to rest of the match :P
Wow, I didn't know that.  So capture ping will make squads capture the point, attack will make AI send squads to attack, and Defend makes squads defend?
My personal favorite

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if the AI can differentiate between what each one means... Whenever I use them, they just seem to blob everything to that area, regardless of what ping you gave them.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why, but there are times when pings won't work. Usually this happens if you ping a location that you don't currently have revealed through the fog of war (this might be just me), or if you try to ping enemy base sectors. The best thing you can do is progress with the AI: reveal territory, move your units up, and ping for your ally to reinforce you.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
You do  have to be rather fastidious with pinging the AI. As Bacon suggests. I think that if you draw a line thru the bulk of the AI blob you wish to maneuver and ping at points that are perpendicular to it you will get better results. You might have to go backwards to go forwards sometimes. I believe this technique releases some of the roadblock congestion inside the blobs. There may well be something to pinging into fog of war as bacon suggests; but the AI does differentiate ping type.

If you want to get a ping capture to work better you need to ping the location after the "AI" capper has starts to cap an area. It seems to work as a que for capture purposes.

@ Fish: If you find tank traps less then effective than you would like you probably aren't building them fast enough. Send three or four of your ingeneri or pios to block an area. A line of barbed wire to pre-empt early infantry advances followed by a Line of traps to block wire cutting vehicles and then another line of wire behind this to seal an area will allow you to seal 25 to 33 percent of the front the AI advances upon. On Some maps you can seal more then 50 % of the front this way, (Kalach for example). AFAIK it takes 5 seconds to build a section of barbed wire or TT. If you use 4 engineers (or volks for wire), you bring this down to 1.25 sec average per. It doesn't take too long and then you have built up a mp reserve to build outposts/ bunkers/ MG nests for a defense in depth after the wire/TTs are built.

Yet another aid to quickly block a front or build incendiary traps is to work in areas the AI has passed thru already. (ie capped). Build your defenses before you decap the enemy points. The AI is working elsewhere! when they come back in response to your decapping ops a bunker/MG nest or an MG or two in buildings will really cramp AI style. Meanwhile you can shift to the areas the AI has been working on.

孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
@ Fish: If you find tank traps less then effective than you would like you probably aren't building them fast enough. Send three or four of your ingeneri or pios to block an area.

Who has that many engineers in a normal game to send to just build tank traps? Maybe if you are playing on a bridge map I can understand but in a normal game idk why you would have that many. Unless you are just camping and building MG nest and wiring everything. But that is bad gameplay (IMHO) and in a PvP it won't work at all.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Who has that many engineers in a normal game to send to just build tank traps? Maybe if you are playing on a bridge map I can understand but in a normal game idk why you would have that many. Unless you are just camping and building MG nest and wiring everything. But that is bad gameplay (IMHO) and in a PvP it won't work at all.

Ah Fish come on! We are talking about compstomping here. Three or 4 pios or ingeneri are not unreasonable in such an environment. Pios with flamers and vet 1 or two melt early conscript starts. The Wehr Support strats have been acceptable for a long time. In the case of Ingeneri 3 or four is about right too. They are cheap and though needs must retreat against volks without mp40s, they are not too bad against volks/mp40s at long range. You still need to get the Sovs up and running and ingeneri allow this. Plus they lead to early Heavy Infantry Stormovie. Whatever flavor of ings or pios you use, they are good at bunker busting, but in this case it takes two to tango, (tackle a bunker).
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War