Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Bren-in-Bren Tatic  (Read 6407 times)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Bren-in-Bren Tatic
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
A very effective yet abusive and simple static includes stuffing a Bren-gun Infantry Section inside a Bren Carrier and driving around the map and wrecking havoc.
But Isn't a Up-Gunned Brencarrier Better?
The answer is no.  There are many reasons why the Bren-in-Bren (shortend to BiB) is much more useful.  It can completely counter Wehrmachts T1 much better.
Vs. BMW Motorcycle:
The BiB can button the bike just like ROOs do.  The squad inside can easily button the vehicle and drive and catch up to the bike and kill it.  And if somehow the bike starts getting away you can use the Bren itself to button the vehicle.  This BiB is also very useful against PE Scout Cars (even useful against an unsupported trigger-happy Armored Car)
Vs. HMG42 Teams
BiB laughs at early MGs.  It simply can drive around it; force retreat it; and chase it down which is something upgunned Brens cannot do.  Against HMG42 in a building you just drive around in circles; though may be harder if it is supported.t
Vs.  VolksGrenadiers
BiB can easily tackle a Volkssquad with ease.  The only threat to them is when they have panzerfausts; but since this is early game you wont be seeing then within the first 5-7 minutes.
Vs.  Snipers
BiB will be tough enough to charge straight at the snipers even if supported by an MG w/Volkssquad early game and force retreat and kill.  Snipers are only a threat when there is more than 2 of them because they have a 50% chance of sniping the men inside.  Even if they do; they need to get the squad down to 1 man to seriously bring down the DPS since Brenguns are doing most of the damage.

Upgunned Brens will not out DPS a BiB.  It can chase and kill retreating units a ton more easier and does not have a fixed turrent.
But isn't the upgunned Bren more tougher?
Technically yes; but in order for upgunned Brent's to do damage it needs to be stationary.  No fixed gun for BiB can mean it can push infantry around thus reducing their accuracy vs. the Bren increasing survivability.

Things that make this extremley useful
If you happen to come across a unit that threats to kill the Bren (AC or Tankbusters/Schreck Grenadiers) you can jump out and "hold your ground" to focus/button the infantry/vehicle while the BC retreats and repairs.
It can cap like SCs or Kettens.
Can force retreat any individual squad on the field quickly.
3 Brenguns (mabye 2) firing at the same time at you is nothing to laugh at.
You should have atleast 7 kills if you check the stats early game.
Conclusion
You will get the most out of your Bren Squad if you use the BiB.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:43:53 PM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Bren-in-Bren Tatic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:27:37 AM »
You know it's not easy like it sounds, don't you?
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Dreamerbg

• Balancer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
    • EF mod stream channel :)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
Today I played agains Brit who used bren+infantry section with rifle granade upgrade. It was still pain in the ass early game.

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
I think it's easy.  What's so hard driving a BiB past and MG and chasing it on the retreat like you would do with any other vehicle?
My personal favorite

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:37 AM »
While the notion sounds feasible I think its a lot harder than you think at higher lvl play, like dann alludes too. MGs are always supported and up close, you will find yourself taking dmg relatively fast. And if you get fausted you are toast.  The bren tommies wil fire but not as effectively as you make it sound. And pios will flamers will roast you alive.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:12:45 AM »
The tatic sounds fantastic but because it involves too many micro and planned on too much positive perspective, that's why this tatic is actually pretty hard to execute, like creeping pak tatic.
The tatic itself has flaws, the more bren you have the longer you will have next inf section which the Wher can take advantage by having a stall and capping tatic like US and then get fast flamer or faust as fast as they can. The farm side of Angoville and Langres (or bloody Sein River map) are perfect places counter BiB tatic.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
I agree with those who say the BiB tactics are more difficult to implement than they might seem. The Bren carrier is pretty slow. I'm not sure a bren carrier can run down a retreating MG. The Bren gunners in carrier actually fire with no moving penalties, so this is a plus, and I believe the DPS for the squad is better than the upgrade MG. Supression is doubtless less. Capping from the Bren Carrier is excellent as 4 of the 5 squad members can still fire from a form of cover rather then the negative or road cover. This is superior to scoutcars and Kets/Schwimms which can't fire while capping at all.

Not every Tactic is useful all the time that is why they are referred to as tactics. I think 132 has brought up a good subject.

孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »
Hmm...Have you guys tried BiB?  Last game I played with it I saw that flame pios do not pose any threat to BC surprisingly.  I noticed that the people inside are immune to fire and do not have the same cover type as the PE IHT that makes flames a big threat to people inside.

Also, BCs are very tough compared to jeeps so they should take about 3 fausts to get it (2 fausts if its wounded by 1/4 of health)in a single volley (who charges them straight into volks blob anyways :P).  They can drive right into Wehrmacht's base MGs and only suffer little damage.

I'll dont get more than 1 Bren because their usefulness significantly decreases later game.  That's why I try to use them to my advantage and try to put a huge dent with BiB early game (capitalize on its extreme early game advantage)and make it so that by the time he techs to t2 Pak or fausts, he has almost nothing else, or next to no volks :)

If you get fausted, you need 2 or 1 more to finish it off.  In case this happens (like I said in the OP) get your inf section out of the BC and act as a meat shield to kill of or prevent VolksGrenadiers or paks from finishing it off while BC rushes home to repair.  Who says your only using just a Bren or your only restricted to 2 inf sections?  Just like Americans vs MG you can hold off 2 inf sections in cover while the BiB (carrying your 3rd inf section with bren lmgs) flanks and destroys MG.

I've had quite some success with this in team games (since engineers can repair BC) at higher levels.  Though I haven't done much of this in 1v1s, I'll try to test them out there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:51:23 AM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »
Ye olde base rape ehh? There is still a hole in the middle of the position 1 base  on Psel Map; across from the bridge. The problem isn't really getting in. Its getting out again. Try it and let me know what happens.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 02:18:48 AM »
WTF? 3 faust? What are you doing, over repairing? My Brens die in like 1 faust, sometimes 2

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 04:38:44 AM »
Mabye you are unlucky or something :P
But IIRC a full Heath BC survives 3 fausts I think.

Oh yeah btw, I like getting 2 over-repair sappers so that they scale better mid-late game if I'm that confident :D

And also this is my 132 post I just noticed ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:56:58 AM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
Depends on whether you get hit in the front or the back of the target box. Penetration is different.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »
First off I'm pretty sure that was the Bren gun carrier's intention when it was implemented by Relic in the first place. While I admit it is pretty crazy when it works, but it's a very difficult task for it to function. There's A LOT of micro-ing involved that can end up crippling you when you're focusing just on getting your troops settled in it. Even with fausts, it can have the chance to instantly kill the bren carrier (and the crew), or at least cripple it severely.

Again it really loses it's luster when you get it as RMC for it, considering people often have AT guns that instantly kill it by that point. Even in vanilla Brits it's really a "This will either work or fuck me resource wise this early."
le stalin faec

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
1 faust can deal more than 80% health of the bren carrier, just tackle a bit with volks and a suprise faust will trasnform bren into a pile of junk.

You should consider the weakness of your tatic and let some experienced players crushed your BiB tatic.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
If they were still here :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"