Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: How about a 45mm at gun?  (Read 8198 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: How about a 45mm at gun?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
The thing is, PTRDs + ZiS 2 + Strelky Stun ability are fine for infantry based anti-tank support. We wouldn't put the 45mm guns just because they work fine against the foreign tanks, because the other things mentioned before will work just as fine or even better than it. Which is why we said than no matter it was used in high numbers it just doesn't have a place.

T26, BT7, T35, T28... all these tanks were used by Soviets, just like SU100, SU152, ISU122 and many other units we don't feature in the mod because we don't need them or there is already another unit that has that very role. Adding a T26 next to a T70 just to for variety sake or historic relevance is wrong for CoH standards/gameplay. Reward unit might fit, but then again we might refer to our priorities.

Why the 76 mm regimental gun M1927 is not a mobile one? Because we didn't make or animate the model and the only animations it has fits with static emplacements. You should be happy it was added to propaganda as it rather than not added at all :-X.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Pajeu

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:07 AM »
 ;D Hi, Bishop!
Yo me rendo...
No problem, man! All of your reasons are right. I've just done a suggestion. My fun, how you know, is the early time of the war.
I've no fun with a JS 2, a Tiger, Jagdtiger, Panter or Pershing...
Me gusta the little and kind units, just like you will add to Ostheer. I'm glad with that; you don't know how much...
A panzer 35 (t) was always my dreaming. You can imagine my bliss when I did see a Semovente 47 and a L6 in the EF plans!
CoH & EF for me is a passion - I have just fun with... From the my boyhood I've always studyied the WWII. I've hundred of books about it... Thus, I understand your arguments, but a game is a fun place as well, where we can dream and play like a little boy.
It's not a place JUST for rules and doctrines, you know. I have it enough in my profession and in my real life, man!
I'm a 50 years old man and you can imagine how is a life in a 20 million habitants city, where I live in.
I would just like have fun with EF...
 8) By the way: I have a mobile 76mm regimental gun in my EF (imported from European Theater) and a BA 64 that I've discovered in the early EF version files...

Best regards,
P.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:32:16 AM by Pajeu »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:44 AM »
Some of these units could be used as reward units, however some of them can't. We'll see what can be done for the soviet reward units once we finish OH stuff, we have some plans and you will probably like them :). Stay tuned!
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
We could give the 45mm gun an ability that lets it damage engines (after support barracks upgrades), it would make the unit similar to how PE uses its AT HT.
My personal favorite

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:39 AM »
By the way, more we have new units, more fun we have too...

That's actually wrong... We are not Blitzkrieg.
We actually had the pak36 in for testing purposes in an older version of the Ostheer, and well ... to put it short: it's not working - pak weapons in CoH are only useful because of high damage + high penetration + high range. The pak36 lacks both penetration and damage. It would be maximum useful to kill an Greyhound, and for that matter you can use schrecks, mines or Marder, StuG, etc, which arrive around the same time as a Greyhound.

As you probably already know from the sneak peeks, the Ostheer already has plenty of (long) range AT units, so it's unnecessary to add another pak. And I agree with walki in this point: to include a unit just for the sake of including it is the wrong way, so we're not doing it. ;)
We could give the 45mm gun an ability that lets it damage engines (after support barracks upgrades), it would make the unit similar to how PE uses its AT HT.
Sure, we could do that. But putting an engine critical thingy on a AT weapon is pretty broken to begin with... Nobody can tell me that the AT ht is fun to play against or well designed. Besides, using an OP ability on an UP vehicle is also not the best idea also...

Greetings ;)

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Wekwekboris

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Some of these units could be used as reward units, however some of them can't. We'll see what can be done for the soviet reward units once we finish OH stuff, we have some plans and you will probably like them :). Stay tuned!

Like the return of the SU-100?  ;)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 06:04:09 AM »
The 45mm gun could have a few AI capablilities, using HE rounds ability it could potentially snipe away at targets with support.  The ability would make the gun stationary, costs 35 munitions, but then fires somewhat faster and shoots HE shells that could be as effective as PanzerIV shells.
My personal favorite

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
I have been thinking about this lately actually, what you could do is have the long barrel 45mm from the start and you get the Zis-2 after you buy the gunnery upgrade.

This would be pretty cool i think ;D The 45mm would do pretty good against ACs/Stugs/panzerIVs but you would need the gunnery upgrade to deal with panthers.

Also about the Zis-2, am i the only one who thinks the bunker down skill is out of place ???, since the zis-2 the upgrade basicly makes it most suited for defensive action, not like the AP round or the stealth which are useful in both defence and attack :-\  Something else, like a rapidfire thing or something like that would be much more useful.
<3 ISU-152

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
Well. The problem is; With 2 different anti tank guns in one faction one of the two anti tank guns will be redundant during the game.
One anti tank gun per nation is the maximum (out of my view).
May the force be with you.

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
Well. The problem is; With 2 different anti tank guns in one faction one of the two anti tank guns will be redundant during the game.
One anti tank gun per nation is the maximum (out of my view).

Ah right, good point. Makes sense ;D
<3 ISU-152