Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: New guy looking for soviet tips (1.7.2.0)  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Aerrae

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
New guy looking for soviet tips (1.7.2.0)
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
Ok guys as you can see I'm new to the mod (and the game). I've been playing the vCOH casually for a few months and the mod for a few days. I usually play with/against a mix of friends and AI.

I'm having a bit of trouble being inventive with my strategies with the soviets. I usually play with a fast fuel heavy T1-T3 with propaganda, skipping support barracks until end game, rushing T90 (or going straight for T34 if I forget to watch my fuel) and using Naval infantry in an early specialized infantry role.

I have some difficulties with early scout cars (until I get navals) and late game assault grenadiers (until I drown them in the red tide and hammer their blob to the ground with god of war). I usually skip Katyusha and the stationary artillery piece, but otherwise utilize the propaganda abilities to some extent.

I usually get a guaranteed win against the AI utilizing this strategy and some good results against my (also newbie) friends.

Whenever I try something different I feel like I'm getting my red buttocks handed right back. I've even tried experimenting in 2v2 with ranger/airborne american but we usually get smeared in the mud if I go (experi)mental. I was curious if you guys have any ideas on how to take a different approach or improve my play?

Offline Jäger

• Donor
  • Guard
  • Amateur WW2 Historian.
    • View Profile
Re: New guy looking for soviet tips (1.7.2.0)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
If you can get a few friends, I'll gladly play a 2v2 with you.
The point of soviets, from what I can tell is understanding how well something counters something else.
Ex; Anti-tank Riflemen/NI with PTRDs are good at countering pumas and light vehicles
the ZIS on the otherhand is best used in the locked down position, in preplanned firing routes.

Offline Wekwekboris

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
Ok guys as you can see I'm new to the mod (and the game). I've been playing the vCOH casually for a few months and the mod for a few days. I usually play with/against a mix of friends and AI.

I'm having a bit of trouble being inventive with my strategies with the soviets. I usually play with a fast fuel heavy T1-T3 with propaganda, skipping support barracks until end game, rushing T90 (or going straight for T34 if I forget to watch my fuel) and using Naval infantry in an early specialized infantry role.

I have some difficulties with early scout cars (until I get navals) and late game assault grenadiers (until I drown them in the red tide and hammer their blob to the ground with god of war). I usually skip Katyusha and the stationary artillery piece, but otherwise utilize the propaganda abilities to some extent.

I usually get a guaranteed win against the AI utilizing this strategy and some good results against my (also newbie) friends.

Whenever I try something different I feel like I'm getting my red buttocks handed right back. I've even tried experimenting in 2v2 with ranger/airborne american but we usually get smeared in the mud if I go (experi)mental. I was curious if you guys have any ideas on how to take a different approach or improve my play?

Ahhh. Dont skip the support barracks. DONT skip the Katyusha. For me, I am a vehicle heavy guy. My primary infantry units are Sturmovie Engineers along with some Snipers. I dont make Strelky and Guards as they cost too much pop and I need pop to save for Katyushas, IS-2s, T-34/85s Sturmovie Engineers with Assault Upgrade can take any infantry unit except KCH, Fallschrimjager (with FG42s) and Volks. (Volks have bonus to them) Use the snipers to eliminate the volks or force them to retreat. Tank Hunters are very good. They can eat armoured cars and Panthers, Stugs, Marders, anything that is not suited for killing inf and lightly armored vehicles. If you get 4 Sturmovie Engineers and 4 Tank Hunters and can backdoor to the enemy base, you can destroy the enemy base. (as long you got men vs tank) Get T-34/85s and get 3 of them with 2 Katyushas and your inf and steamroll your way. If the battle is quite even, get IS-2s and if you have enough pop, Guards.
The tactic above needs less fuel than this one.

This tactic is extremely vehicle heavy, you use emplacements more, ZiS AT guns and some Mortars. It goes defensive. Get your Sturmovie and only upgrade it to Flamers and some to Assault Gear. Cap as much fuel as possible while your ally gets the munis. Dig in and prepare for AI assault. Block the entrances. (Quite easy to do) Also force AI to go into your position. It should compose of 2 MG nests, 3 Snipers, 2 Mortars, 2 ZiS AT guns (Be sure to upgrade to ZiS-2) Flamers and assault sturmovies cap and harass or take back points. With your medical truck and outpost you have no problem maintaining your infantry. IF you think you can't survive AI spam, get some THs 2-3 of them and get some more mortars. Once this is done and hopefully you still have plenty of pop for tanks. You could also reduce the number of mortars, combat engineers to properly field your T-34/85s. Get 3 of them and roll over. Go breakthrough and scuttle the emplacements, cap more, get your unessesary units killed. The goal is to have 2 Mechanics, 4 Assault Engineers, 1-2 AT guns, 1 sniper and 4-6 T-34/85s. If you think T-34/85s are not enough, get IS-2s supported by SU-85s or an ISU-152. The goal in this strategy is minimize your infantry population at mid-end game to field a large armored force.

This tactic is my most used one. Leave around 24 pop to tanks. The rest goes to infantry. This strat might be the most safe but lacks the punch to end a game effectively. You utilize Strelky now and if you can spare them, Guards. (Maybe only 1-2 Squads. I'll prefer to use the pop for T-34/85s though to give you the power to neutralize enemy armor, vehicles, buildings) You will always need 2 AT guns and 2 Snipers. 3 Engineers also. You proceed to set up defense on a preferred point. And the rest of the defense planning is up to you. (YOu can make emplacements, tanks, more ind, depends) You also harass enemy points using your Strelky. If your opponent wont attack after a period of time, advance then set up another layer of defense. Get 2 IS-2s or 3 T-34/85s and support them with your AT guns creeping up along with your support units of snipers and infantry.

Most of my tactics needs competent allies and quite alot of munitions. I play on games with Pop and on standard. These strategies work when compstomping with people or doing a 2v2-4v4
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:17:20 PM by Wekwekboris »

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:49 AM »
As stated above, the main reasoyou go Propaganda is for Katushyas, if you didn't it would be like going for US Armor Doctrine and skipping the Calliopes.  And Support barracks skipping is a mistake by a whole ton.  Where else do you get early AT?  You would basically rely on conscripts, inginery, and the CS to win you the game which is extremely hard to do.  You can't ever do that.  They won't be able to stand up to Assault Grenadiers or SCs with that kind of army.
My personal favorite

Offline Aerrae

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
Aye, I recognize my problem in dealing with assault grenadiers, scout cars are quite easy to force on the retreat. Obviously I found AT guns, a few katyushas and the artillery piece (that requires all buildings) pretty handy in a 3v3 game I played a while back.

For now I'll just try to keep it simple and focus on getting a quick victory in 1v1 and 2v2 (if relic servers ever go up again -.-). Anyways the problems I have are mostly a) I'm a fuel hog b) early assault grenadiers. I assume lowering my fuel dependancy would require radical changes in my overall strategy.

I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions regarding a less of a fuel heavy approach and how to deal with early assault grenadiers if you have any.

EDIT: My current tactic in dealing with AGs has been to harrass them and lure them away from my HQ with conscripts. In a 1v1 after I get a T-90 out the problem is pretty much solved.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:38:13 PM by Aerrae »