Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Only bridges map suggestion  (Read 4193 times)

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
Only bridges map suggestion
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:46:53 AM »
Hi, as in previous threads i have stated that i enjoy playing against AI more cause then i can choose how i want my game to played. If i want to be offensive i will play that or if i want to play defensive i will play that.

In many of my games i like playing defensive mode type of game were i build bunkers, storm houses with mgs and soldiers and waits for the ai to attack cause i like it more then attacking all over the map. So i have a idea if its ok, can you guys make maps more maps with only destructible bridges and maybe an option to choose 4vs4 3vs3 2vs2 1vs1 on that map? :) Cause i love bridge maps where i on the other side of the bridge have soldiers and bunkers waiting for the enemy to attack and then if they overrun my defensive i can just arty the bridge and then try again while the bridge is down. So yeah, basically can you guys make more maps with destructible bridges and no non destructible bridge :) Cause you guys would make me so happy with that :)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Only bridges map suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:05 AM »
Although I respect your opinion about your gameplay style with bridgemaps and all, I think it would delay the OH longer.  A majority of the people don't like bridge maps that much too (including me) but we did have our times when we were noobs and spent 2 hours playing the Scheldt :)
My personal favorite

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:47:17 AM »
Well the thing is i never play against humans cause then i cant play the game how i want, i would always have to play the game how the others play it.

I don't think you understand me really why i want bridges, another reason i did not bring up was because i do not like to stress in games like 10 of 9 people want to do in every game i have played and i want to play it without stressing, no i am not saying i have a problem when someone attacks quickly in the start cause then i defend myself, but when i am in a game and everyone just wants the game to be over in 5 minutes its just so boring. Why should everything be played so quickly instead of just envying the game like i do when i play against AI, yes the games become longer but i am enjoying myself cause i choose how i want my game to be played (game as in match, not game as in company of heroes.) instead of adapting to my rushing teammates who wants the game to be over in 5 minutes, and yes one thing i have noticed about this mod is that the AI cuts haywire which i love, i have never experienced this in vanilla game. Cause then they bring a challenge, so yes i don't see why this have to be a noobish way of playing just because i don't want to stress the games.

And also i don't want them to stop doing something more important to the mod, this was just a suggestion from someone who have played this mod nonstop since i got my hands on it. It would been more funnier for me if there was maps with 4vs4 that had all destructible bridges yes, but if they cant do this its OK. I will still play this mod.

And no, i have played this game long as i can remember when the Scheldt had all destructible bridges :) So this aint my first year playing this game.

If they cant add some maps with bridges that can be destroyed its fine. If they can, please do it with an option for 2vs2,3vs3,4vs4 :)

Offline Spieel

• Guard
  • It is I, Spieel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
Well the thing is i never play against humans cause then i cant play the game how i want, i would always have to play the game how the others play it.

Well if you play it right you dictate the flow of the game and it is them playing like you want to ;)
But I understand where you are coming from, not to be mean or funny or anything, but the devs making a map like this, has a very slim chance of happening. Maybe just have a look at the world builder yourself?

Offline mSnowflake

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

You can decide how the game is played yourself. Even against human players.
You just need to be very aggressive at the very beginning then so you can chose what to do.

I've played games where I had 3/4 of the map capped after 5 min?

If I would like to, I could dig in then and let the enemy try to hit me, but I just hate playing it like this..
Prefer the early game with allot of action and aggression.
Prefer to retreat, heal up and push back instead of digging in and holding my ground constantly.

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
Hi, as in previous threads i have stated that i enjoy playing against AI more cause then i can choose how i want my game to played. If i want to be offensive i will play that or if i want to play defensive i will play that.

In many of my games i like playing defensive mode type of game were i build bunkers, storm houses with mgs and soldiers and waits for the ai to attack cause i like it more then attacking all over the map. So i have a idea if its ok, can you guys make maps more maps with only destructible bridges and maybe an option to choose 4vs4 3vs3 2vs2 1vs1 on that map? :) Cause i love bridge maps where i on the other side of the bridge have soldiers and bunkers waiting for the enemy to attack and then if they overrun my defensive i can just arty the bridge and then try again while the bridge is down. So yeah, basically can you guys make more maps with destructible bridges and no non destructible bridge :) Cause you guys would make me so happy with that :)

There will be some new maps, and iirc correctly among them also are - some - bridge maps. idk  1 or 2 of them I believe. But that's about it rly. Nobody except sheldt players like bridge maps.. And well, coh isn't really made for them anyways. It's fun to do some ridiculous artyspam from time to time, but I'd never play it on a regular basis actually.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »

There will be some new maps, and iirc correctly among them also are - some - bridge maps. idk  1 or 2 of them I believe. But that's about it rly. Nobody except sheldt players like bridge maps.. And well, coh isn't really made for them anyways. It's fun to do some ridiculous artyspam from time to time, but I'd never play it on a regular basis actually.

This is pretty much it. Ostheer will bring two new bridge maps - Vyazma (6) and Korosten (4) - whereas the latter features a frozen river as well, so there's the same speed penalty as for troops in water. I'm sure you'll be satisfied witht those.

Beyond that, there's still the possibility to create maps yourself ;)

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
As I type this, I'm making plans to extend and expand Achelous River if this is more to your favour. The way things look, it will contain upwards of sixteen bridges, and five "layers" of islands, rather than the traditional three. This won't be released as part of the mod, but keep an eye out on the mapping section.

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
Bridgemaps are a very interesting concept and idea, especially trying to keep it out of the ordinary which could provide some tatical strategic gameplay.  For example, we could put 3 VPs in a island, but there aren't any resource points in that island to capture and also there could be multiple bridges to repair to get to that island as to just 1.  Could we decide to get more resources by repair these bridges and get a decent steady VP income, or end it all quickly, risking all or nothing to get a fast VP win???

Here is an example I came up with.  Note all the bridges in that map are wrecked and in need of repairs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:52:59 PM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline mSnowflake

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
As I type this, I'm making plans to extend and expand Achelous River if this is more to your favour. The way things look, it will contain upwards of sixteen bridges, and five "layers" of islands, rather than the traditional three. This won't be released as part of the mod, but keep an eye out on the mapping section.

Already exists

8p:
http://companyofheroes.filefront.com/file/8pAchelousRIVER;116081

6p:
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?256275-FINAL-Achelous-River-(6)-v1-03a-Update-20-02-11

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
I have read all the answers and if i dont reply to your answer to the thread  it did not mean i did not read it :)

How do i install that extended map so it shows up in eastern front mod? Cause i don't hardly play vanilla anymore cause EF has no population cap :)

Offline Dot.Shadow

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »
There's a lot of custom maps out there, but do custom maps for vCoH work with EF? I haven't really looked into the topic before.

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »
Thanks for letting me know! Either way, it's not how I would have done it, so I may still have a go at extrapolating the whole map, rather than just lengthening it.

And all vanilla custom maps work for mods. The only time that it would would cause issues is using mod maps on vanilla.

You need to copy the files (if they are .sgb's) into the following directory:

Program files/THQ/Company of Heroes/Eastern Front/data/scenarios/mp

If they are .sga files, they have to go into My documents/my games/company of heroes/ww2/scenarios

I'm sure this has been written a thousand times on the forum, but as per usual, if these locations do not exist, make them yourself!

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:37:16 AM »
Ok, so will the AI have pathfinding on the customs maps then?

(Sorry i dont know how AI fixs works in CoH, just asking)

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
I actually have no idea how the pathfinding works, but on both EF and Vanilla, all the AI needs to work properly is a HQ, map entry point (where the reinforcements arrive) and a single resource point to contest over.

They can also be "prompted" to emphasise their strength in a particular area through invisible AI markers, ranging from High to Low in terms of strength, but maps also work without these.

One way or another, you should be able to upload any working vanilla map into EF (even if it is a custom vanilla map), and play on it with the Soviets.