Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Who was the best commander in WWII?  (Read 56571 times)

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the best commander in WWII?
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
I chose Patton for two reasons. One, he was willing to Rush in to beat the Germans head on in successful tank battles, which hurt German moral, and two, he was going to advance onto Moscow, but then he had an 'accident' involving a diesel truck. I say it was a Soviet assassination of Patton, cause they knew if he was going to move into Mosocw, they be hopeless to stop the US and British charge. Don't think that the Soviets, with more men, could have held of the US and British. The British were about to field the Centurion tank, and the US had the M26 on the battlefield. Also, the Allied Air power would have crushed the Soviet air force. And well, the US had the nuke, it could have killed two soviet armies with one bomb. So the Soviets offed Patton, effectively getting rid of the best Allied Commander of the war. (Montgomery was a coward, he wasn't willing to take risk if it ruined his reputation.)

All you're saying is if ... . There are no ifs in history.
While practically, Patton didn't do much but kept his mouth open when it had to be shut way too often.
Don't get offended, I just think that the sum of his accomplishments just isn't big enough to seriously consider him even one of the best. He's more like one of the best known, if you get my point.
If Eva hadn't offered Adam that apple, he'd still be in Eden. So?

I don't get what Ijoe is trying to say with that Adam and Eve reference but i don't really like Patton for 2 simple reasons
1) He was a loud mouth and in many ways a total asshole. His actions were more reckless than tactical and was just a really lucky SOB
2) He was a bit of a racist.... 'Nuff said

Oh and Panzer, want to know a secret? At the Victory Parade, the apperance of the IS-3 (which didn't serve in Europe but was begining to be deployed by late September 1945) scared the living vodka out of anyone that wasn't Soviet. The Brits and Americans knew that their Pershings and Centurion were no contest for the IS-3 and the IS-3 outnumbered them. Oh and lets not forget the thousands of IS2 that were already battle-tested and filled with veteran crews. They were at minimum on par with, if not superior to the Pershing and Centurion

They were also unaware that the Manhatten project was filled with Soviet spies, which could easily sabotage the bombs, and supply the neccesary specs for the Soviets to make their own (which they did after WW2).

IMO Patton was full of Hot Air and Bluster. If anyone was stupid enough to listen to him after WW2, they would have been smacked into the ground faster than you can say "Comrade Stalin".

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »
@neosdark
He meant that you cannot speculate about it, you need to decide it based on the real facts.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:02 PM »
i think what neosdark says is true
right after WW2 russias army was way superior to the war weary british and american armys
and on the american air superiority...i am not sure but i think russia had more fighters, just less heavy bombers
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2011, 06:25:50 PM »
i think what neosdark says is true
right after WW2 russias army was way superior to the war weary british and american armys
and on the american air superiority...i am not sure but i think russia had more fighters, just less heavy bombers

In fact, the soviet air force was AT LEAST equivalent to USAF or RAF, due to the high number of experienced pilots using well-made and reliable aircraft. But I agree that soviet heavy bombers were just too old to be efficient.
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2011, 06:58:59 PM »
Montgomery was a coward, he wasn't willing to take risk if it ruined his reputation.
Not his reputation, his army. He cared too get the job done, thats all. Allways fighting the main German force while head on wasnt the best way to get fameous but it had too be done by someone.

Patton on the other hand didnt care about getting else than reputation. His father once said to him: "George, I got the money for the family, you get the glory". Thats why solidiers called him "His guts, our blood".
IMO Omar Bradley was the best US general.