Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Why did Germany lose on the Eastern Front  (Read 56959 times)

Offline loatty

• Ingenery
  • BRAINS OF WAR!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Germany lose on the Eastern Front
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
the communism mean't mass production, and high numbers. us supplies saved the day many times and wherm was exhausted, loosing experimented soldiers and being too elitists on tech solutions ...

ussr was just too huge for wherm, thanks to mud winter and numerous people

let's play tripleA guys for the " what if" :-)

And by this you mean? I can't understand what your trying to say, mabey you could try to explain it to me?
Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured commandos, Jewish soldiers and civilians in all

Offline Aouch

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »
He said that Soviet Russia was able a bump out massive waves of infantry and high amounts of military equipment.
Additionally, Russia was supported by the 'Lend and Lease-Act' which especially in 1942/43 helped to compensate the massive losses Red Army suffered in the early stage of war.

The Wehrmacht on the other side didn't have that many resources and kept loosing their strength, the experienced veteran soldiers. Unlike USSR, they relied on the often quoted "quality over quantity"-doctrine, a thing which could never function against a war vs Russia.
Also the harsh condition, like the russian winter and the mud stopped the Wehrmachts assault.

I hope I get what vietlord originally said.  :)

On the discussion: Seriously, I think the question shouldn't be why the Third Reich lost the war but rather why the whole war took 6 years. Why did Germany's leaders tried to stop the war in 1943, when it was clear that the can't gain a military victory? Why did they even start the war against Russia? Why were douzens of german cities bombed and burned to the ground?
That are just a few questions, which are in my opinion by far more interesting than asking why Germany lost on the Eastern Front. Just take a map and compare the sizes...
In memoriam MrScruff
The Wehrmacht in the East

Obstheer FTW!

Offline TacticalNuke

• Guard
  • The ultimate in Peace-making technology!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
My guess is that if Hitler had been a sane man and not started the war with Russia, history would be a lot different. However, if Hitler had been a sane man perhaps he would not have been as successful in the beginning.
I think, therefore I am...
I learn, therefore I advance...
I destroy, that I may endure.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »
If he was sane he wouldn't have started a huge war with everyone, well maybe Austria.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Newbie.

• Commissar
  • A single Tiger was worth ten Sherman. I'm the 11th
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
why would he start a war with his own country?

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
He didn't start a war, he annexed it.

Offline loatty

• Ingenery
  • BRAINS OF WAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
The problem of the Eastern Front was, or at least a large part of the main problem, it's vast size and the climate of the region. Also, Hitler expected the entire Red Army's force to collapse by using Blitzkrieg tactics. This worked very well in the early stages, and it seemed to become yet another great victory for Germany, but combined with the Russian winter and the German equipment, which wasn't suited for combat during such cold conditions in any way, the offense soon grounded to an halt. During that time, the Red Army could finally replace it's losses suffered earlier.
The Germans, still on the offense, successfully fought their way towards Moscow (although they were stopped about 30 km from the city itself, lol).
At this time, the German supply-lines had reached their limits, and the weakened forces were unable to mount an final attack to take Moscow. From this point onwards, the Russian troops, now with the fresh elite divisions from Siberia,  the German back, once and for all.
Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured commandos, Jewish soldiers and civilians in all

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Fun fact I learned:

One of the reasons Germany didn't reach Moscow was when they we heading towards the city a large part of the Middle group headed south to capture soviet prisoners, with was a mistake because it took supplies and time away. In the modern time, you don't win wars by taking prisoners.

Offline loatty

• Ingenery
  • BRAINS OF WAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
Where did you learn of that?

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
I heard it on TV then did some research.

Offline Journalist

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 12:22:54 AM »
Seeme
In September 41 group of armies should not grasp the center captured as you speak, and to finish an environment of two hundred thousand trd army in Kyiv region that most not to get to a trap between

ps
sorry for my english -use translater

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:46 AM »
1st of all, I have no idea what you meant.

2nd of all, 2 or 4 divisions went, not all of it.

Offline loatty

• Ingenery
  • BRAINS OF WAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »
If they did send a few divisions away to capture some Russians, it would've made the situation only worse, the divisions whom held positions near to Moscow were, like most of the forces at that time, exhausted and not ready for the winter.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Exactly, that's what am trying to say, the Germans made a mistake.

Offline loatty

• Ingenery
  • BRAINS OF WAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
And it only worsened the situation for them :P