Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: It's over.  (Read 14585 times)

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
It's over.
« on: June 03, 2010, 02:03:53 PM »
It's a damn shame really. 4 years I've been playing COH. 4 long years.

As we all know, COH has been slowly dying this last year. There have been no patches, and no real action by Relic at all. And now, the killing blow.

http://www.companyofheroes.com/

Look and see. COH Online.

COH is going to be replaced by a free to play version of the game that includes all the singleplayer campaigns we paid all that money for for free. And the online component will be replaced with a Battlefield Heroes style microtransaction system where all the worthwhile equipment and abilities can only be bought with real money.

And most damning of all, Relic says that they will only be maintaining the servers for COH for "The forseeable future", which is basically developer speak for "we're already reaching for the plug"

No servers means no online play period, for COH, OF, or EF. No online authentication, no lobbies, no playing with human players whatsoever.

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but after all this time and the constant backstabs of the last few years by all the major developers, I've just come to expect it.

Offline ford_prefect

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Re: It's over.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
wow well I'd like some facts and who you got those quotes from before I start screaming this like its the bible mate......

Offline WartyX

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Dave got trolled! Trololol!
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front @ Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »
What will happen to players of the original COH / support for the original COH when this comes out?
It is of the utmost importance to us that we continue to support the players who helped make Company of Heroes great. We will be maintaining the current servers for the foreseeable future, so players can continue to engage in multiplayer matches in Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts, and Tales of Valor. We will also be unveiling unique rewards in Company of Heroes Online for our loyal fanbase in the near future. We will definitely continue to support these players.

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
    • Company of Heroes: Eastern Front (mod)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
 ;D It is good
I believe in one thing only, the power of the human will. © Joseph Stalin

Offline Sonders

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »
Hero units? pay for abilities? I don't like it, but its free. Look at the bright side, think of all the noob bashing that you could do for the first few months, lol.

I don't know, maybe it will bring new blood into the game. I wonder if they solved any of the drop hacking problems?

Offline luz777

• Donor
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
Sounds...interesting I guess. Might add something different to the CoH formula.

I wouldn't worry about never being able to play CoH online. If I can still find games of Total Annihilation then I'm sure they'll be plenty of CoH.

Might just get abit trickier to find is all :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:15:02 AM by luz777 »

Offline Toorstain

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
This sounds like relic makes a game that is like the EiR Mod or the OMG Mod, just with hero units and stuff. :)

Or am I totally wrong? :-[

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »
Can someone explain what is happening- am a bit slow today
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline So Wasted

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
Well good thing I bought CoH for only 4 dollars lol.

Offline steadfast9661

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:36 PM »
i really think this is cool....alot of the modding will sadly go away but this looks like alot of fun.

nbeerbower

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
F2P games always are of shitty quality. Do they really expect us to play an inferior version of COH just to have them squeeze more money out of us through 'upgrades'? Like really: no OF factions, no modding, probably fewer maps, most likely you'll have to pay for most units, etc.

Hopefully they'll throw us a patch to at least help the modding community a bit and fix some glaring balance issues.

Regardless, I doubt I'll play this game for more than a few minutes.

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »
Have you all forgotten L4D after L4D2? I remember hearing similar promises of "don't worry, we won't be abandoning the game", and yet sure enough after L4D2 came out, L4D1 fell over dead. There is simply no one left playing it anymore.

AND COH ONLINE WONT SUPPORT MODS.

WHICH MEANS NO EASTERN FRONT.

We're talking about a company that has left this game unpatched for a YEAR, has let cheaters and drophackers run around without punishment, and this is for games that we PAID for? And you guys expect BETTER treatment for a game that's free?

WAKE UP.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:57:04 AM by BDNeon »

Offline PersianImm0rtal

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 01:41:41 AM »
I am so pissed right now. Where are all the game developers screwing us over lately?

nbeerbower

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »
I am so pissed right now. Where are all the game developers screwing us over lately?

Because game developers like money.

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:16 AM »
It's capitalism baby  8)