Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Guards Firepower  (Read 4664 times)

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: Guards Firepower
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 06:25:20 AM »
This is a non-issue. Guards are fine.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Budwise

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »
They are fine, i just never use them  ;D

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »
The reason i think tht some people think the Guards should be superior to other Soviet infantry is because of the manpower cost (compared to the other ones) and the name. In reality Guard units were armed with SMGs a lot due to their purpose of Shock atttacks. In reality Guard units were Shock Troops, but they were elite Shock Troops.

Having them equipped with SMGs would make little sense in the begining (because the regular Guards are meant to represent an elite defensive troop, being armed with Medium to Long range SVT-40s and grenades), but the Shock Guard upgrade should add SMGs (any SMG would work PPD-40, PPSH-41, PPS-43, but i think the Fedorov Avtomat would be the best since it would work at all ranges) to at least half the Guards to make them super versitile.

As they stand right now though they are great and effective units, but the SMGs would make them so much better.

Offline nomad52

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »
The reason i think tht some people think the Guards should be superior to other Soviet infantry is because of the manpower cost (compared to the other ones) and the name. In reality Guard units were armed with SMGs a lot due to their purpose of Shock atttacks. In reality Guard units were Shock Troops, but they were elite Shock Troops.

Having them equipped with SMGs would make little sense in the begining (because the regular Guards are meant to represent an elite defensive troop, being armed with Medium to Long range SVT-40s and grenades), but the Shock Guard upgrade should add SMGs (any SMG would work PPD-40, PPSH-41, PPS-43, but i think the Fedorov Avtomat would be the best since it would work at all ranges) to at least half the Guards to make them super versitile.

As they stand right now though they are great and effective units, but the SMGs would make them so much better.

Going half and half on long and short range weapons is not a good idea because instead of them being good at long/med like they are now or being good at med/short if they had SMG's they would be just marginal at all ranges because only half of the unit would be effective.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
Guards are very resilient all round long rage unit.

If you want resilient short ranged assault unit, use sturmovie engineers.

The think about the soviets...is that they have a unit for pretty much any role you want so you can tailor your teching to your game style.
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline AbhMkh

• Commissar
  • Who Dares Win!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »
I'm sorry , my bad , guards are good as they are now , they are infact the most easily vetted infantry in the soviets , you can use them against any sort of infantry , just keep their grenade abilities recharged! ;)
The sound of 17 pounder ap shells tearing down panzers

Is music to my ears!!

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
3 guards can hurt a panther pretty bad wit AT nades
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme