Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front News #13.02.2009  (Read 29321 times)

Apex

Re: Eastern Front News #13.02.2009
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »
Apart from that, I think your version of history is more like a propaganda fairytale. Stamping the conscripts as hollywood myth, although there were weapon and equipment shortages all over the place in 1942, is quite ignorant. Just as trying to tell me that commissars are just a red alert stereotype.

So relax, be more open to this game, and have fun with it.

Offline Dominic 'Dragon' Cassidy

• Administrator
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
I was wondering if ever one of the USSR/Russian people who was here at the beginning would come back.

Also known as Soviet_Marine, our Russian, Russian Historian.

Cassidy Motto -> Frangas non flectes.....You can break me, but I'll never bend.

Offline vengefulnoob

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
Can I please see this on YouTube?

If the team are still open to suggestions, may I give one last soviet unit suggestion? Yes, regulars can be armed with ppsh, but I still think there needs to be one last squad type: an assault based squad, like engineers in size, who already have ppsh and can be upgraded with pps43...

Before you all shout at me, please hear me out: the assault squad was invented by the soviets in Stalingrad. It was vitally important throughout the war and is very historically accurate: give them the usual Sapper/engineer equipment and additional shock troop abilities and leave engineers as standard units like pioneers: this means the soviets do not start with an op unit but gives assault engineers of a type at tier 2.

I'm sorry if this post offends anyone, no sarcasm intended.
Za Chest Gvardii!

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
    • Company of Heroes: Eastern Front (mod)
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
What is it on arms of Guards??? It is stupid! I think that history is necessary in WW2 games.

I think your version of history is more like a propaganda fairytale ;)
Commissars were like second commanders. They could cancel orders of real commanders if they think that commanders is not loyal, traitors. They were observers of the Party, not executors.
When an army get the course "edinonachalie" (единоначалие, "single command"), the institution of military commissars was abolished.
And in the Red Army all privates and sergeants were draftees!!! No regular!
Sorry for my bad English
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:45:35 PM by UeArtemis »
I believe in one thing only, the power of the human will. © Joseph Stalin

Offline kevinkahn

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
so....they are not going to add shock squads....? :'(
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:21:09 PM by kevinkahn »

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »
Do you mean my favourite assault engineer-sapper troops with body armour? Yes, they aren’t.
Oh, assault engineers can be beautiful “doctrinal” call-in squad.

Offline 221

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
I was wondering if ever one of the USSR/Russian people who was here at the beginning would come back.

Also known as Soviet_Marine, our Russian, Russian Historian.

Havent seem him for a long time.

But I think you should make conscript fully rifled with mosin nagant, and upgradable with svt-40, and less size.
Make regulars to assoult squad with ppsh, and keep red guard as elite distance squad. With maybe 1 ppsh in the squad.

This way, early game, conscript with engeener support. Mid-late game. Assoult squad, affective at close range. And Red guards affective at long range, and expensive.

And yes maybe have special squads as doctrine call ins.

And wasnt this mod in latewar time? Like regular coh 1944. There where no shortage then. And units had lots of experience.

EDIT: Maybe you can upgrade engeeners to have body armor, and remove assoult squad, so engeeners is in main use by soviet players. And they can stand late game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:42:15 PM by iTRemeN »
Россия!

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
What is it on arms of Guards??? It is stupid! I think that history is necessary in WW2 games.

Skins can be changed.

When an army get the course toward "edinonachalie" (единоначалие, "single command"), the institution of military commissars was abolished.

Political commissars, yes. But NKVD commissars had alot of their men on the front line in order to stiffen the Soviet defences, and their numbers grew right up until the end of the war. A tenth of the Red Army was in NKVD divisions.

And wasnt this mod in latewar time? Like regular coh 1944. There where no shortage then. And units had lots of experience.

Its 1941-1945... the entire stretch of the GPW.

But honestly guys. There's no need to start causing grief because a few units haven't made it into the mod, or even because a few have. We really need to take the game balance into account here; a bunch of indestructible super sappers will not help game balance, neither will removing units. We can change names, we can change skins, but please don't ask for things to be added unless you have thought long and hard about how it will effect the gameplay.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:11:58 PM by BurroDiablo »

Offline UeArtemis

• Major
  • aka Cossack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »
Well, in 1943 the Red Army changed uniform, for example. The Red Armies of 1941 and of 1945 are not same. I think make from 1941 to 1945 isn’t wise.
And, lets don’t mix NKVD troops and the Red Army. It is like Wehrmacht and SS, Gestapo. Different things.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:29:14 PM by UeArtemis »

Offline 221

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
But how would a 1941 unit stand up to a 1945?

I think my suggestion for units is well balanced.

If you have conscripts as 6 men squad. They will be like volks, and be worse then your current conscripts.
Upgrade with mg or anti tank so they will have a role in late game.

Engeeners will dominate pios 1v1. But in mid game. When grens comes, engeeners will not stand chance, unless they get upgraded with body armor. And then they will become the main assoult squad. Gren/volks would win in long distances. Volks with mp40s, would be worse then engeeners.

Panzer assoult grens, would be the same as upgraded engeeners, but engeeners are defualt 1 person more so they would win.

Red guard are something like knight cross holders in health. But will be a support unit for the conscripts.

This sounds quite balanced to me.
Россия!

Offline vengefulnoob

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »
I disagree.

Keep everything as it is, EXCEPT: give engineers a midgame upgrade to make them "assault sappers" but with the same aiming etc then a very expensive lategame guards upgrade to take them to grenadier ability. This means that they are better than pioneers, then in midgame they get some better abilities like wire cutters and grenade assault, but aren't as good as grenadiers (same numbers but worse upgrades) and then late game they become a counterpart for the guards squad in assault with the same training as grenadiers

Za Chest Gvardii!

Apex

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 06:27:58 PM »
This mumbo-jumbo of ideas shows me why we are making the mod, not you. Whatever you think "sounds quite balanced", it is not because it doesnt take a lot of things into account. One builder unit cannot dominate the other in a balanced game. And neither will we make conscripts copycats of volks or red guard copycats of kch.

CoH is not an ultra realistic game if you havent realized that. And why is that? Because its goal is having fun, and not having your tanks dead with one shot. Everything in here is stylised. So dont try to do things like forbidding us playing in stalingrad and berlin because of some uniform bla bla. 

Apex

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
I considered that as well noob, but Sappers, even with SN-42 body armor, will not be able to stand up against grenadiers etc. without major stats changes. Thats why it is not a good idea.

Offline 221

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
Did I mention copying anything, did I mention life realistic stats? I hope you will read thru my post again.

I only used volks etc, as something to compare to, and I have never said I wanted tanks dead with one shot.

And there is also a reason why you have forums, to discuss about the mod, discuss ideas, discuss units to the mod etc.
It is not wise to just create units show them for the first time to the fans, and tell them no changes are going to be made, thats not a good working mod.

And if your not allowed to say what you think there is no reason for you to have this forum.

And when did anyone say that your not allowed to use Stalingrad or Berlin? You dont have to get so extremely hostile as soon as you hear critic.

EDIT, I came up with the ideas while I was typing just as starters, so now I know it is not wise to use a building unit for main combat. Then I can evolve my idea. That is how a forum works. You cant just say, your ideas are bad!! Because this unit and that wont work!

EDIT2: I have just read your post more carefully. "One builder unit cannot dominate the other in a balanced game". This I belive was said by Diablo "We already have a force of 4 Sappers that can take down the Pion's with ease". So I just based my engineers on hes statement. dont flame me for it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:09:28 PM by iTRemeN »
Россия!

Offline vengefulnoob

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 07:20:09 PM »
I considered that as well noob, but Sappers, even with SN-42 body armor, will not be able to stand up against grenadiers etc. without major stats changes. Thats why it is not a good idea.

Hmmm: the idea is that sappers augment regulars midgame, they don't kill the grenadiers unless they're in a building (use grenade assault) lategame however they get body armour, a panzerfaust and a flamethrower, in which case they can equal grenadiers
Za Chest Gvardii!