Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Tournament Port Forwarding/NAT error help  (Read 11533 times)

Offline grimper12341

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Port Forwarding/NAT error help
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:03 AM »
Hey um I seem to be getting a NAT error for every game I try to join in the lobby. Weird thing is most games show a ping value not a red X, but all of them give a NAT error.

It used to work too, but one day it randomly stopped working so I presumed the tech guys must have changed some router settings (I'm living at university at the moment)
So I asked some tech savvy people, and they told me this about the uni network:

" you have an unfirewalled internet addess, real, to the internet"
"every port aside from 443, 135, a few udp ports (dns, dhcp, etc) and icmp is open"
"NAT error could just mean that the game doesn't believe that you have a normal open IP, and is trying to negotiate with your non-existant adsl modem"
" the game is going to have difficulty talking to your adsl modem to setup forwarding.... because you don't have one"

So looks like port forwarding isn't the issue (or is it? Not sure whether there's a difference between an open port and a forwarded port), and like they said I have no modem, just got a cable running from my computer into the data port in the wall. And the uni doesn't have a main firewall set up, it just uses the individual ones on the computers. This computer is my own personal one though and I'm able to change firewall settings, so I've given all the CoH ports and the program itself unrestricted access, but the problem still persists.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Some additional info I forgot.
- Sometimes it takes many attempts to set up a single player skirmish. I keep getting an error message saying it couldn't set up the game.
- It also (sometimes) takes many attempts to log in. I keep getting a "this profile is currently busy" message.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:17:28 AM by grimper12341 »

Offline grimper12341

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
Is there a particular reason by post is getting ignored on 3 different forums xD

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »
No One Knows the Answer. Its weird.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:13 AM »
Yeah I asked my friend who is at college with what sounds to be a similar set up to your and he has no problems so I honestly don't know.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline grimper12341

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Ok well that's all I needed to know. Thanks ^^

Offline AndressoureMM

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Tournament Port Forwarding/NAT error help
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 05:04:19 AM »
Note that activating DMZ effectively forwards all ports, which is generally not a great idea if you value your computers security. It can be a good idea to just test if using DMZ even fixes the problem, then turn it off and set up your port forwarding correctly. If DMZ doesnt help, the problem is probably somewhere else and port forwarding wont do anything either.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
Even if that's a bot, it is a very good piece of advice, so I'll leave it here XD.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...