Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: T34 armor - was it really that awesome?  (Read 22266 times)

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
Re: T34 armor - was it really that awesome?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
T34 had a superb design when it was introduce and far better than anything anyone else had. Like any early tank it had its issues, most notably the 2 man turret (without a turret basket and ammo protection) and limited visibility.

When the war started it was far superior to anything on the field. In time however the german tanks were up armed and uparmoured to match it.
The T34 design however remained the same in terms of armour and gun until the T34/85.
It wasn't because they didn't need to upgrade it, but because Stalin believed that it was only through quantity that would defeat the Germans.
Therefore any possible gun/armour upgrades that would reduce production were discounted as unacceptable.

It was only after the battle of Kursk that Stalin realized that the casualties of the T34s were becoming unsustainable. T34/85 upgrade came in two years after it should have.

As a tactical weapon weapon of war, the T34 was the best. Its quality as an individual machine was surpassed

Only two tanks fought throughout the war 1939-1945. The PzIV and the T34. T34 was overall a better weapon of war
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Sturmovik

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
T-34/76 and T-34-85 is not only modifications of the main battle tank.
A large mass of modifications take a place during production process.
Turret if the T-34/76 tank have a number of changes. Those things give a number of advencements to the battle machine.

For the chassis armour, thrue, slope armour take little chance to hit light ammo. Some times, most of them simple leaped back ... 88 mm & other heavy shells can only hit the tank, for their weight & speed (Tiger, Panther ...).

Thak commander improve their tactical & group coherence skills for reballance technical threat situation.

P.S.: T-34/85 have a long history before battle debut. Example - counterpart of that tank is experimental T-43 machine ...

History in images

Photo1
BT-7M / A-20 / T-34(1940) with L11 cannon / T-34(1941) with F34 cannon

T-34 (1940) armour
Photo2

Chasis
Photo2

Turret of the T-34(1940)
Photo3

Damaged T-34 (1941) during Stalingrad battle
There are some shell wholes, but not every one penetrate the armour ...
Photo4

Link to the armouring scheme of the T-34/85
Photo5

Optional:
Carry that kind of toy is ...
Photo6

Tank turrets

cast steel
Photo7

Stalingrads fabrik (nut-turret)
Photo8

Sormovo
Photo9

Nijniy Tagil city
Photo10

Extra armour shielding project
Ex1
Ex2
Ex3

Update

T-34 during battle for Moscow (Military parade before 120km counterattack)

T-34 during battle for Moscow (Military parade before 120km counterattack)

Examples of turret construction difference. 1941. First - Cast steel. Second - welding construction.

1943 production year turret modification.

T-34 of 1943 year modification & T-43.

Video material:
Освободители: Танкисты [02]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:24:19 PM by Sturmovik »
"- .... мне он тут мёртвый нужен а не пленный, бей его, пока он руки не успел поднять!!!"

Offline Sovereign

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
most notably the 2 man turret (without a turret basket and ammo protection) and limited visibility.

As a tactical weapon weapon of war, the T34 was the best. Its quality as an individual machine was surpassed

Only two tanks fought throughout the war 1939-1945. The PzIV and the T34. T34 was overall a better weapon of war
I'm sorry but I cant not simply sit idly by while you through out such wayward praises...

This isnt meant to be a flame mind you and if someone wants to try and call me out on it and start an illegitimate "flame war" and wear the hat of the charlatan, well then so be it but be prepared to be ignored in kind.

Yes this may seem esoteric of me but hey don't you have to be when it comes to any non-pseudo historical discussion? So with that said the first thing that needs to be addressed is your overly bold proclamation that the T34 was the best tactical and then you follow that with a complete contradiction of "Its quality as an individual machine was surpassed" (so best but not best?) Not to mention of course the aforementioned problem it had in regards to its turret and its heavily limited visibility and sights which is why it was more iconic and more noteworthy when it received the "mickey mouse turret" as its moniker became.

Lastly this huge error of proclaiming that the T34 was fully produced through out the war, granted the other half of your statement is correct in regards to the PzIV however this topic isn't about that anyway, fact is it hadn't started into pre-production until well into 1940 and didn't even achieve relevancy till 1941 for obvious reasons (Op Barbarossa)     

TS3 2.0: ts55.gameservers.com:9374

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
@Sovereign:
You are aware that T-34 was, is, and will be a soviet tank, right? And you are aware as well, that SU entered into battle activities of any significance  in the scale only in 1941 (barbarossa) as well? That surely goes only for traditional historical presumptions only.
Anyway, this topic is called "T34 armor - was it really that awesome?" So I really see no relevance of your post to the aforementioned.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline Sovereign

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
IJoe, you do realize that it has already been established that this is about the soviet tank as it is about the T34 thus the transitive property comes into play...

Your point about the title is well put however by default if your right then your post in reply to mine is just as irrelevant as mine, that's just simple logic after all..

Let me just end this by saying if it were the PzIV that had sloped armor prior to the T34s rolling out from Kharkiv, then the renown roles would had been reversed but lets not forget that in actuality it was technically the A20 which was the first to have this sloped armor at the time. (yes, I know it was just the prototype form but still considered different vehicle)

TS3 2.0: ts55.gameservers.com:9374

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 12:08:41 AM »
IJoe, you do realize that it has already been established that this is about the soviet tank as it is about the T34 thus the transitive property comes into play...

Your point about the title is well put however by default if your right then your post in reply to mine is just as irrelevant as mine, that's just simple logic after all..

Let me just end this by saying if it were the PzIV that had sloped armor prior to the T34s rolling out from Kharkiv, then the renown roles would had been reversed but lets not forget that in actuality it was technically the A20 which was the first to have this sloped armor at the time. (yes, I know it was just the prototype form but still considered different vehicle)
Oh FFS! -If your grandma had a dxck, she'd probably be your grandpa!
And my post was relevant to yours, not to the topic. That's true enough.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 01:31:48 AM »
I love you I-Joe. your Posts rule!!!
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline Paladin88

• Guard
  • Tell me, are you afraid to die?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:59 AM »
T34 is overrated ...

WHO CARES, THE T-34 WAS AN AWESOME TANK IN ITS TIME.

There were so many of them they just steam rolled over the Nazi war machine. Isn't that really all that matters?
most notably the 2 man turret (without a turret basket and ammo protection) and limited visibility.

I'm sorry but I cant not simply sit idly by while you through out such wayward praises...
Let him!  ;D

Oh FFS! -If your grandma had a dxck, she'd probably be your grandpa!
And my post was relevant to yours, not to the topic. That's true enough.

Don't swear, everyone is entitled to their opinion (regardless how wrong it is unfortunately)  :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:39:53 AM by Paladin88 »
OIY! Get your filthy hands off the Maus!
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=5672.0

Hee hee, I added colour to the avatar. Isn't it nice?

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
yeah who won the war?  :P
Soviet is OP

Offline irik

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 03:56:22 AM »
Only thing the t34 struggled against were tanks that outclassed it, tonnage specifically. in which case were mismatches anyway.

Any tank would struggle against tanks that outclass that tank.
Guards of the Red Army. Today, the German Reich is done away with!

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
Only thing the t34 struggled against were tanks that outclassed it, tonnage specifically. in which case were mismatches anyway.

Any tank would struggle against tanks that outclass that tank.

exactly, specifically point being it dominated tanks within its weight class - meaning it was superior in those regards. AKA awesome lol :)
Soviet is OP

Offline Sturmovik

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
German 4th tank division reports about battles with russian tank corps.

11:00–14:00.
After crossing bridge, tanks takes a battle. Destroyed 4 light soviet tanks & 7 AT guns.
Field of battle reaching T-34 & destroys 9 tanks.
2 Flak88 turning against russian wave & makes some hits. (Does not write - whow much number of destroyed ...)
All 2 Flaks destroyed with direct hits.
Howitzers hit 2, than 3 russian tanks.

14:00
4 russian tank try to reach the bridge, but with hard fire turning back.
Than take a place hard battle with 25 soviet t-34 & light tanks. Declaired, but not confirmed with russian "combat jornals" for 6 german tanks, 2 Flak88, 2 field guns. Destroyed 17 tanks (doesn't corrected, what tipes of tanks is destroyed ...) ...

In about 14:00, soviet T-34 (doesn't sound a number of battle machines) on the East of village First Warrior destroys 2 tanks, from the position far from the actual fire of guns & Flaks, germans turning back ...  but destroys some transport vechisles ... (what & what tipe is unknown)
Hard artillery & "Guard mortars" preventing quick retreat.
Near the night, russians destroys 4 tanks, lost 1 T-34.
BUT, Russians displays barefaced impudence, they dragging hitted tank on a tug.

Langemann takes a flank positions of 4th tank brigade, & going forvard to Mcensk. He got a help with 3rd tank division, that capturing Bolhov.
... porridge of city fights.
"- .... мне он тут мёртвый нужен а не пленный, бей его, пока он руки не успел поднять!!!"

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
am I only one who think that previous comment was totally pointless?
It doesn't prove anything.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
am I only one who think that previous comment was totally pointless?
It doesn't prove anything.
I actually thought about posting just the same comment that you did. But I didn't.  ;D

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline Paladin88

• Guard
  • Tell me, are you afraid to die?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 03:59:55 AM »
German 4th tank division reports about battles with russian tank corps.

11:00–14:00.
After crossing bridge, tanks takes a battle. Destroyed 4 light soviet tanks & 7 AT guns.
Field of battle reaching T-34 & destroys 9 tanks.
2 Flak88 turning against russian wave & makes some hits. (Does not write - whow much number of destroyed ...)
All 2 Flaks destroyed with direct hits.
Howitzers hit 2, than 3 russian tanks.

14:00
4 russian tank try to reach the bridge, but with hard fire turning back.
Than take a place hard battle with 25 soviet t-34 & light tanks. Declaired, but not confirmed with russian "combat jornals" for 6 german tanks, 2 Flak88, 2 field guns. Destroyed 17 tanks (doesn't corrected, what tipes of tanks is destroyed ...) ...

In about 14:00, soviet T-34 (doesn't sound a number of battle machines) on the East of village First Warrior destroys 2 tanks, from the position far from the actual fire of guns & Flaks, germans turning back ...  but destroys some transport vechisles ... (what & what tipe is unknown)
Hard artillery & "Guard mortars" preventing quick retreat.
Near the night, russians destroys 4 tanks, lost 1 T-34.
BUT, Russians displays barefaced impudence, they dragging hitted tank on a tug.

Langemann takes a flank positions of 4th tank brigade, & going forvard to Mcensk. He got a help with 3rd tank division, that capturing Bolhov.
... porridge of city fights.

This is
x o x
o o x
o x o

Whatever that is.
OIY! Get your filthy hands off the Maus!
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=5672.0

Hee hee, I added colour to the avatar. Isn't it nice?