Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: 'Tech' (coding) support  (Read 907 times)

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
'Tech' (coding) support
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
Some questions to the dev team; I don't mean to cast the wrong light towards blackbishop but I feel I've sent him one too many questions of this nature in the past and that he's frankly fed up with them.

-Would there be someone on the EF team familiar enough with SCAR coding to get jojorabbit's alternate doctrine units function working for full reward doctrines? I don't have the time to sit down and learn SCAR top to bottom unfortunately, anyone willing, please PM me! It should be a simple matter of replacing required and affected upgrades within the function.
-The Kanonvogel, Kubelwagen, and Foxholes--are they now 'available' (bishop had told me via PM that until the release of the Ostheer this was a no, however, I don't know if it's still 'no' despite the release), and if so, who am I to give good and proper credit to for their creation?
-The Landser squad leader gaining a field cap when upgraded with the MkB42; I noticed one landser (out of the non-leaders) with netting on his helmet. Is the upgrade simply using an animator_set_state on this one man or is it changing his ebps actor altogether (the Landser squad reads as having four normal landsers and a squad leader, so I don't even know why this one man stands out--I can produce a screenshot if this is in doubt :P)? This would be a nice tool for my own mod for adding proper equipment to a given soldier when weapons are upgraded (since I use add/remove weapon functions rather than slot items, I could have, for instance, a German noncom gain submachine gun magazine pouches upon upgrade).

Many thanks, and apologies for posting this in the 'tech support' thread, but I didn't want to pester bishop with yet another PM.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

TheVole

Re: 'Tech' (coding) support
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Some questions to the dev team; I don't mean to cast the wrong light towards blackbishop but I feel I've sent him one too many questions of this nature in the past and that he's frankly fed up with them.

-Would there be someone on the EF team familiar enough with SCAR coding to get jojorabbit's alternate doctrine units function working for full reward doctrines? I don't have the time to sit down and learn SCAR top to bottom unfortunately, anyone willing, please PM me! It should be a simple matter of replacing required and affected upgrades within the function.
-The Kanonvogel, Kubelwagen, and Foxholes--are they now 'available' (bishop had told me via PM that until the release of the Ostheer this was a no, however, I don't know if it's still 'no' despite the release), and if so, who am I to give good and proper credit to for their creation?
-The Landser squad leader gaining a field cap when upgraded with the MkB42; I noticed one landser (out of the non-leaders) with netting on his helmet. Is the upgrade simply using an animator_set_state on this one man or is it changing his ebps actor altogether (the Landser squad reads as having four normal landsers and a squad leader, so I don't even know why this one man stands out--I can produce a screenshot if this is in doubt :P)? This would be a nice tool for my own mod for adding proper equipment to a given soldier when weapons are upgraded (since I use add/remove weapon functions rather than slot items, I could have, for instance, a German noncom gain submachine gun magazine pouches upon upgrade).

Many thanks, and apologies for posting this in the 'tech support' thread, but I didn't want to pester bishop with yet another PM.

I have not heard of jojorabbit's alternate doctrine, but from past experience adding a new or optional doctrine via SCAR is surprisingly easy to do. I'm assuming you had this in mind for the foreign legions? I have always done map related SCAR, such as custom missions and other such things and never really touched anything in inside the SCAR folder (To make what you want to work globally I think it would have to be in the upgradesystem SCAR file--?). If you have any other info about these alternate doctrines please share them with me.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tech' (coding) support
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
1) The Ostheer models could be lent to modders who ask for them until three months after their release in the mod. That was the agreement we come about lending EF assets.

2) Landsers use random entities, which means they have different infantry to choose and the selector just mix it. It is done in OE.

3) I'm not sure there is anyone free to help you, but if you do not understand how this stuff works, when you need to change something someone of us will need to assist you once more or maybe from the RelicNews community. Dartborne from the Europe at War mod asked me the same type of assistance and I answered the same to you IIRC: look at the files atf.scar, AGDF.scar and jar.scar... although the last two are used for the AI. I think that's what I answered to you, but I don't remember clearly.

Dartborne did this and any doubt he had he asked me through steam, even thanks to his observations I could improve the code to work better than it used to which it is used in the 2.0 version. I think you can follow the same steps as well. You know what it is said about teaching a man to fish: I'll assist you when you do it, but I'm not going to do it for you... of course, this is just me, if anyone else wants to do it then you are lucky :).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...