Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Poll

What we should do with RMC?

Remove them. They just don't fit on EF and we don't need them either.
24 (24.7%)
Keep them as standalone faction. They have potential and could be better than Brits.
73 (75.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: August 06, 2013, 09:25:15 PM

Author Topic: The Royal Marines Commando issue  (Read 32326 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
The Royal Marines Commando issue
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
Hello EF fans,

We come this time to ask your opinion about one topic: the future of RMC.

After planning and analyzing the current layout of the RMC reward faction, we do think it has potential but right now it cannot be balanced properly because of the Commonwealth faction design, let alone that causes odd events and coding, so we have concluded than they will have better chance to be improved if they are made a standalone faction.

However, it seems a lot of players wonder what we were thinking when this was added on EF, because certainly Commonwealth doesn't have anything to do in the Eastern Front theater other than lending units to Soviets... so we have this dilemma: either we make it a new faction to balance it properly or we just remove it because it doesn't fit in the mod.

Remember this is not about having as much factions as possible, because more factions isn't going to make this mod a better one, at least not that alone. This is about if RMC deserves a second chance or not and if it does, we would be able to add different content as well(as possible as the models available allow, ofc). One thing to consider is that while making RMC a standalone faction might slow down the bug fixing process and it would keep busy our balancers in a different area rather than Soviet vs Ostheer and you know what this does mean.

Depending of the outcome(your feedback + our internal feedback), if RMC is removed things will be as usual in the latest patch, if RMC is given a second chance it doesn't mean it will come in the next big patch, it could be delayed for a while depending of how Soviet/Ostheer balance goes, because that has priority over anything else balance-wise.

We already discussed this in the internal section, however, we need to hear what the players think about it so, please think carefully, cast your vote and explain your point of view about the issue. I also want to point out than the feedback that really matters is the discussion and their respective posts being held here and not entirely what the poll says, because counting votes without arguments goes against what we are aiming to do here.

Thanks for your support,
Eastern Front Team
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:35:44 PM by Blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Dzierzan

• Translator
  • Commissar
  • I am the king of second bananas!
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Marines Commando issue
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
RMC is a broken faction which was made I believe in a rush. I remember people were trying to balance this faction but this didn't go well. This faction doesn't have the future. Keeping it alive only consumes efforts which we need for better balance Ostheer. I voted for removing this abomination.

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
Keep them, vanilla brits are terrible unbalanced. And you cant have ww2 without brits ;)

For example vanilla brits are slow and have nothing against early armour without going highresources or doctrine!

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:15:14 AM »
Can we perhaps use them as a substitute faction for vBrits? I mean a complete overwrite, allowing Devs to start from a fresh slate and create a more interesting design for the Brits. Sure this has little to do with the actual Eastern Front, but Ostheer is done, and the most important goal (in my eyes) of this mod - a fair simulation of battles on the Russo-German Fronts - has been achieved.

So go at boys, surprise us, remake the RMC and make them a faction deserving to be British 8)

Offline JohnSchwartz

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »
The RMC was a worthy experiment, but I think the priority should be the Eastern Front. I'd rather see a focused mod that does a great job with two factions, than a sprawling mod that bites off more than it can chew.

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:30 AM »
Can we perhaps use them as a substitute faction for vBrits? I mean a complete overwrite

Can I vote for this?
le stalin faec

Offline Sabre

• Beta Testers
  • Ingenery
  • That's Hanz down, Fritz is next.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:36:58 AM »
RMC deserves another chance.

Offline Trooper425

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
I'm not quite sure the Brits were really broken per-se, and I don't think that adding RMC is in-line with the Eastern Front mod. However, my decision pivots on one question: What did the Royal Marines really do? If they really were a dig part of the Allied offensive, I vote to put them in. If, however, they are more of a side note in the Commonwealth's story, I vote to remove them.
The wise general learns from the deaths of others.

Offline delmar77

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »
I prefer a presentation faction with existing models of the eastern front as Italian Romanians etc.
Não se apresse em perdoar. A misericórdia também corrompe.
(Nelson Rodrigues)

Offline SC

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Bob's your uncle, here we go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »
However, my decision pivots on one question: What did the Royal Marines really do?

Pretty much D-day from the beach landings to the offensive operations in the Netherlands.
le stalin faec

Offline LiefTundra

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:06:09 AM »
Here's an idea (but I don't know if its a good idea), if the Ostheer is going to get a foreign faction, why not make the RMC a foreign faction for the Allies? Maybe they could have soldiers and vehicles from minor countries that helped the Allies during WW2 like maybe the Free French or something :P.

I don't really know what to vote for personally because I do not really see how the RMC fits in to the Eastern Front, but I kinda liked their playstyle and now even fewer people play the British faction. But I do think that the real focus should be on Soviets and Ostheer.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »
@LiefTundra
That could work for sure ;).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Michaelcycle13

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 06:53:49 AM »
I have a crazy idea that just might work!
Please navigate to: http://www.moddb.com/mods/company-of-heroes-afrika [nofollow]
Here you will recognize another developer group who is building two new factions just as you have. One is a British faction for North Africa, and another is the Afrika Korps. Why not, combine forces with these creators and expand this to the southern front with Africa! You have come so far and if this was accomplished you could find your "standalone" british faction! As well as completely build the entire European war!
So, here is my piece... and I'm not sure if the codecs or the programming will work, but these guys have already made a lot! Perhaps you could arrange it to where Eastern Front and Afrika Mod combine forces and complete the entire European theatre!
Could you imagine? 8 Factions? Being able to choose to play Eastern Front, Western Front or North Africa maps!
Just saying, they already have a lot programmed, and they have been building many maps.
Give it a shot eh?

Offline KarolR87

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »
In my opinion you should focus to polish  EF. Especially eliminate some AI bugs. I voted for remove Brits.

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »
I voted to a completely new Brits (without trucks and even the officers teching), seriously stick with those stupid truck and their original units create trouble to balance the Brits. But the Ostheer must be the 1st priority.
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.