Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Non penetration damage is over powered  (Read 2724 times)

Offline polo101e

• Ingenery
  • Troll LOL
    • View Profile
Non penetration damage is over powered
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »
The Non penetration damage is too high in the game , the AA gun in the ostheer's base can do a lot of damage to my KV 1 and KV 2 regardless of non penetration >:( , also the damage of the panther , isu 152 and tiger needs to be buffed , i think non penetration shots should have no damage unless it is a HE shot. Tiger's armor also required buff. Soviet Tank Hunters should not be replaced by the GAZ or the observer, it lead to early German armor rampage
Tiger Ace

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
Re: Non penetration damage is over powered
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
Unless the gun actually penetrates your KV, you can sit there all day and eat shots to your heart's content, even at 5% HP.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
I see nothing to back up the idea about armor buff for the tiger or damage buff for the isu 152 or the tiger. They do not need a buff at all, unless you have some evidence to back up that.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Prussian Medic

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
( From CoHs wiki).

Every time a bullet or shell impacts with the enemy vehicle, it must roll against the Penetration value to see whether it managed to punch through the armor. If the roll is successful, the projectile goes through the armor and inflicts its full damage potential on the vehicle - corresponding with the damage value assigned to the weapon itself.

However, if it fails this roll, the projectile will simply bounce off the enemy vehicle. Lighter projectiles, like bullets from an infantry weapon or machine gun, will usually cause absolutely no damage when this happens - they are just too weak to dent the metal. Other, heavier projectiles will actually cause damage to the target vehicle anyway, bending its armor a little just thanks to the awesome force of impact. This "deflection" behavior is specifically detailed for every projectile in the game, from the smallest SMG bullets to the largest artillery shells.

Thats why Non Penetrating shots will still deal damage to the vehicle.

Offline The Soldier

• Developer
  • Commissar
  • Shock Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
Called "spalling," when metal on the opposite side of the armor get ripped off and can injure the crew.  This can be replicated in-game by the shell always doing perhaps 33% of it's original damage even if it bounces.  I doubt the 37mm base AA gun could actually do this. :P

As the age-old saying goes, relay or it didn't happen.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
~Erwin Rommel

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »
The Non penetration damage is too high in the game , the AA gun in the ostheer's base can do a lot of damage to my KV 1 and KV 2 regardless of non penetration >:(
I'll check this, maybe there's a bug in the flak gun target tables.

also the damage of the panther , isu 152 and tiger needs to be buffed , i think non penetration shots should have no damage unless it is a HE shot.
Why? Tiger and Panther deal 137.5 damage in a decent amount of time and are able to tackle all allied armour, just like wehr tigers and panthers. Also, ISU 152 deals a whopping 197 damage per shot, why would you want it to be even more? It can 4 shot panthers, frontally. No other allied tank can do something like that so easily.

Tiger's armor also required buff. Soviet Tank Hunters should not be replaced by the GAZ or the observer, it lead to early German armor rampage
Ostheer Tiger armour = Wehr Tiger armour. Tank hunters won't come back. You have PTRS on strelky instead. Just use them if you need anti tank units. And no, Tank hunters lead to german armour rampage, because you cannot afford tank hunters, tech them up and get AT guns on top because it's too much manpower.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline polo101e

• Ingenery
  • Troll LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »
But seriously, the accuracy of the Su 152 is not very high, the tiger takes like 5-6 shots to kill a   t34-85, the panther takes a crazy 3 shots to kill a T90 or t80.
Soviet at guns can be easily taken out with infantry as Soviet lacks MG unit or trench.
And non penatration damage of 33% ....... don't you think it is too high ? ( i mainly refer to AT guns )
Tiger Ace

Offline The Soldier

• Developer
  • Commissar
  • Shock Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
The non-penetration damage of 33% was just an example - it can be set to any number.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
~Erwin Rommel

Offline polo101e

• Ingenery
  • Troll LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »
forgot to add that a Su152's one frontal shot only half a Marder 2
Tiger Ace

Offline polo101e

• Ingenery
  • Troll LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
The non-penetration damage of 33% was just an example - it can be set to any number.
i think it is 50% at COH wiki
Tiger Ace

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »
It depends on the weapons. AT guns and Gwagen have deflection values of 50%. Most tank guns range between 10-20%, with HE shell firing weapons having higher percentages than pure AT ammunition. Most inf at also has between 10-20%, too.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.