Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Nothing works now!!  (Read 2748 times)

Offline deathdealer987

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Nothing works now!!
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:00:58 AM »
So today i log into steam like normal and i start working on my own little personal mod i have. I make some edits, save in corsix and attempt to launch my mod to view the changes when i get this steam window popping up and telling me that some sga file  is locked and it can't start! I think it even mentioned something about corsix. Sorry about the poor details i should have written this stuff down but i figured it was just some edit i made it didn't like so i reverted my changes - same thing happens when i try to launch again. So i am totally baffled as i have never had any such thing happen in 10+ years of doing this. I've had plenty of crashes when i make an edit it doesn't like but nothing like this  ???

Well finally i closed corsix and tried again and it loaded up no problem so i think i am in the clear and it was just a hiccup. I start my mod up to view changes with corsix open all the time and never have any problem.

Later after making some more edits - i try to load up my mod again and all the sudden steam comes through with some update - not an update for steam, AN UPDATE FOR COMPANY OF HEREOES!! WHAT?!  ???

So now i can't do anything,  :'( the update seems to be frozen because it was trying to come through at the same time i was trying to load up my mod. Coincidentally there was some big steam news about them trying to sell some coh stuff that popped up when i first logged into steam today - i looked at it but that was all, then i closed it.

I close steam, open it, log in, same thing - then finally this update or whatever it was installs. Not sure what it was but it was pretty small, so i try to load my mod again and this little steam window pops up telling me the game is trying to start with these options, wich happen to be what i put in the command line( -mod mymodsname -dev) - i am flabbergasted - this has never, ever happened - what is going on - and i click on ok - my mod loads - i view my changes - i exit. So now everytime i make an change and want to launch the mod to view it this window pops up!! ANNOYING!!!  >:(

Well, after several edits and mod launches with no problems except for that annoying window that pops up every time that i can't seem to figure out how to turn off, i start my mod up once again only to find all the campaigns locked, multiplayer is locked too and when i go into skirmish the teams are locked AND it is telling me to buy tales of valor to play!! I already own tales of valor!! I verify my game files, try again - same thing.  :(

So i close it and try regular steam coh and it crashes. I try my mod again - still locked - so i check the warnings log and this is what i see at the bottom....

Failed to load file RelicOnline\Locale\English\RelicCOH.English.ucs due to overlapping range with CoH\Engine\Locale\English\RelicCOH.English.ucs
-- FATAL EXIT --
localizerimp.c/159:!

What the?  ??? What the crap is that???  ??? ??? Of course that stuff is there - it's always been there!!! It's always been set up that way!! A quick google search sends me here to eastern front forums where someone had a similar problem way back in 2010, actually darn near the same exact problem - the solution is to delete the ucs file and the guys says that did the trick for him - ok no problem, so that is what i do - well actually i just moved it and when i try again - another horrendous crash - with the same error - even though i completely moved the CoH\Engine\Locale\English folder out of there and into a seperate folder i use to store files for my mod. What is going on here?

So now i decide to see if my other mods i have installed work(i should have known they wouldn't with regular coh not working), i load up eastern front - crash! I load up blitzkrieg mod - crash! I load up afrika - CRASSHHHH!! And each time i get the same exact error in the log about that now, non-existant ucs file, as far as the game is concerned.

I am at a loss - did steam just screw me over? Am i the only one that got this coh update today? Did they make some sort of change that won't allow mods to work? Am i overlooking some simple thing that i need to do to fix this? I have no idea and frankly i am banging my head on the desk.

And weirdly - as i was typing this i got an update pop up for the actual steam program, installed it, tried to run coh - crash. Tried all my mods again with a crash on each one - and all giving the same message about that ucs file. I even keep going in there and physically looking to make sure it hasn't somehow magically teleported itself back into that folder but it hasn't.

So what gives? Anyone? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing works now!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
Perhaps that means the file you deleted is not the one causing problems. Do you use a lot of custom SGA files?

I haven't had any problem with the update so far. Perhaps you will need to do a clean install of the game?
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline deathdealer987

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:06 AM »
Well i dunno i am just telling you what the error log says. The only custom sga files i have are from blitzkrieg mod, eastern front, etc. along with maps and map packs i've downloaded over the years. Nothing else.

So i just tried again. COH still crashes, so does eastern front, blitzkreig mod and all the rest. However my mod i am working on loads now and the teams are all unlocked in skirmish and so are the campaigns... i can go in and play it but there is this weird jiberish with no key underneath tutorial on the main menu. I noticed it before but didn't bother clicking on it to see what it was - so i did - it's umm - well heck i dunno what it is - some weird thing with map names in it and everything is coming up no key in there too. Must be whatever they updated - i just read something about it - still not exactly sure what it's about but i am tired and will deal with it tommorrow ???

Out of curiosity i tried to load opposing fronts instead of coh new steam version and was greeted with a digital river thing asking for the cd key! Of course this doesn't work if you put in the cd key  - it just says no connection. Tales of valor does the same thing.

Maybe i do need to reinstall. I am ticked off though.

Can i uninstall COH without ruining my modding setup and corsix and then reinstall COH? Or am i gonna have to uninstall corsix too?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
[...]

Out of curiosity i tried to load opposing fronts instead of coh new steam version and was greeted with a digital river thing asking for the cd key! Of course this doesn't work if you put in the cd key  - it just says no connection. Tales of valor does the same thing.

Maybe i do need to reinstall. I am ticked off though.

Can i uninstall COH without ruining my modding setup and corsix and then reinstall COH? Or am i gonna have to uninstall corsix too?
CoH original servers are down so you won't be able to pass that as far as I know.

There shouldn't be a problem with uninstalling coh ruining your setup, but if you want to have piece of mind you can make a backup. I recommend to back up your stuff and nuke the folder if there are remainders after the uninstall process.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline deathdealer987

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »
Ok i got it fixed after uninstalling all my mods and coh steam version and then reinstalling coh steam version twice - turns out the file i needed to delete was this --> RelicOnline\Locale\English\RelicCOH.English.ucs and not this --> CoH\Engine\Locale\English\RelicCOH.English.ucs  ???

Now my next question is how did it get there - i suppose i could have accidentally moved it in there once but i don't remember doing it and i also discovered that coh steam version doesn't install that folder.

So does corsix install it for some reason?
Is it from some other mod installation?
Or is it left over from before coh moved to steam?

Can you look and see if you have a RelicOnline\Locale\English\ folder and tell me what is in it because all that is in mine is an archives folder with reliconline.sga in it and i would like to know if i can just delete it.

One last thing, eastern front mod is reinstalled and now when i try to start it, it gives me this steam window that pops up and asks me to allow it and it has the command line stuff in it -mod -dev eastern front mod -notriplebuffer -nomovies and i have to click ok before it will run and it is quite annoying. Is this happening to you also?

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:13:50 AM »
Perhaps one of the mods you used to have installed it. Corsix doesn't put it there, otherwise I'd have it as well.
Mors Indecepta

Offline deathdealer987

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
You are probably right it must be left over from some old mod i uninstalled. I deleted it completely but now i wish i would have opened it and looked in the sga to see what the heck it was lol. But this still doesn't explain why all of the sudden it started reading it and decided it didn't like it. Must have something to do with that steam patch, at least that is all i can come up with since it didn't happen until that patch came through.

Thanks for the help i appreciate it.

On a side note i recognize your name form the old relicnews forums and i was wondering if you know of a place where everyone goes now to discuss modding since those forums are now closed. I looked around here but don't see a specific modding discussion section.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
We don't have modding discussion in general around these forums. Company of Heroes enthusiasts probably migrated to other games, like CoH2 or just stopped modding.

Not sure if someone else might know another place though.
Mors Indecepta