Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: An Overview of Modding CoH?  (Read 4328 times)

Offline syaped

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
An Overview of Modding CoH?
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Hey guys :) I'm a 3d artist and I'm interested in modding CoH, but so far it's hard to find any kind of active modding community for it. Your mod is one of the few ambitious ones that have managed to add new quality custom units so I thought I'd ask if I could get an overview of what modding CoH is like? Are there user friendly guides and tools available? Some of the things I'm interested in doing are camera view changes, completely new units/vehicles and effects for them.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: An Overview of Modding CoH?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Are there user friendly guides and tools available?

No, you came to the wrong neighborhood ;P. Exporting to .rgm/.rga is a pain in the ass; There's only one exporter out there for 3ds max 7/8, so all animation/rigging/setting up maps has to be done in that version This used to be fine, until most of us upgraded to win10. Let's say win10 doesn't like 3ds max 8, there's stability issues, random crashes and display bugs. There were a lot of tutorials on RelicNews, maybe you can find them on webarchive. We also have an internal one, I'll talk to the other devs whenever we can make those public.

Editing gamefiles is easy, no one has access to the sourcecode of the game though. So we use Corsix's Mod Studio to edit units and stats (basically like a giant table editor) http://modstudio.corsix.org/.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:56:31 PM »
I made a list of most of the archived relicnews tutorials and added them to the CoH subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/wiki/moddingtutorials

It includes all the modeling and animating ones

Offline syaped

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys! Doesn't look like a walk in the park :D

Offline syaped

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »
It sounds like Relicnews was the community hotbed for Relic's games, and the modding scene somewhat died without it. What were the reasons Relicnews shutdown?

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
It sounds like Relicnews was the community hotbed for Relic's games, and the modding scene somewhat died without it. What were the reasons Relicnews shutdown?

Afaik, declining community, high maintenance, less and less people willing to pay for the server. I don't really know, but I did offer them free static hosting of the forum, so that at least the data won't be lost, which they declined.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 04:39:03 AM »
hi. i'm wondering if it's possible to create a floating ''log raft'' unit model in coh. to mimic the soviet soldiers crossing the volga river.. or maybe using the british rubber boats as a usable unit..
SORRY KYLO REN BUT ISANG BALA KA LANG

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
just want to say that I was granted access of the internal archive of relicnews by halftrack.. now i can learn modding in full!
I just want you guys to back me up whenever i ask technical questions about modding..

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
just want to say that I was granted access of the internal archive of relicnews by halftrack.. now i can learn modding in full!
I just want you guys to back me up whenever i ask technical questions about modding..

:o, thats great! I didnt even know Halftrack had an archive of the Relicnews forums!

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »
yeah.. i persistently ask michael aka halftrack in facebook to give me what he have (he have the entire relicnews forum backed up in his hard drive before it shuts down) i said i will pay him in return but he said that paying him was not necessary..

Offline mackerbryanee13

• Beta Testers
  • Major
  • Duty to God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 12:45:21 AM »
Hi anyone..Please any help

I'm having a pesky problem in my RGM importer.. I can't open any rgm files.. this is the error message..

<a href="http://www.moddb.com/members/mac-bryan/images/err" title="err - Mod DB" target="_blank">err[/url]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:47:41 AM by mackerbryanee13 »