Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Conscript Pop Petition  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Fhurion

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Conscript Pop Petition
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
First off, don't need to say it again, but EF rocks. So thanks to the team, keep up the good work and great support/patches.

Now I know a gripe I and some other people have is not knowing the number of members in a Conscript squad (always shows 0/0, even with NKVD upgrade). I know this is an issue with them having ZERO pop cost. So the solution...

Axis fanboys already complain about Soviet early game zerging with Conscripts. I say give them a pop cost of ONE, but upgrade their rifles to the Moisin2 currently carried by Ingenery (and to balance I hear Ingenery will be getting Conscript Moisin with next patch).
Actually that's one of the things that makes Soviets a bit stronger than they should in the opening stages...which is why those Ingenery boyz are getting the conscript mosin next patch  ;D

This solves multiple issues:
1. Conscripts will have squad numbers
2. Axis fanboys appeased for early-game "balance" sake
3. Conscripts become less useless, with better rifles
4. Ingenery will be used as a support/construction unit, rather than primary fighting unit (as many soviet players bypass Conscripts altogether)

To further balance Conscripts if the ONE pop cost scares people off from using them, you can either:
- Give all 8 members rifles from start
- Add no additional pop cost for NKVD (ie. leave at ONE pop cost after upgrade)

I welcome feedback and signatures.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:17:31 PM by Fhurion »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
Re: Conscript Pop Petition
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
Because of their low quality, I've yet to see a game where their number has been an issue....

If we do perceive it as an issue at a later date, they won't receive a pop but they will receive a hard cap....as I said more evidence quality replays needed to make such a case

Pop cap is releated to the number you can assign to each infantry man and will directly linked to what is displayed on the icon. Hence '0'
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:46:51 PM by Zerstörer »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline thebomb

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »
First off, don't need to say it again, but EF rocks. So thanks to the team, keep up the good work and great support/patches.

Now I know a gripe I and some other people have is not knowing the number of members in a Conscript squad (always shows 0/0, even with NKVD upgrade). I know this is an issue with them having ZERO pop cost. So the solution...

Axis fanboys already complain about Soviet early game zerging with Conscripts. I say give them a pop cost of ONE, but upgrade their rifles to the Moisin2 currently carried by Ingenery (and to balance I hear Ingenery will be getting Conscript Moisin with next patch).
Actually that's one of the things that makes Soviets a bit stronger than they should in the opening stages...which is why those Ingenery boyz are getting the conscript mosin next patch  ;D

This solves multiple issues:
1. Conscripts will have squad numbers
2. Axis fanboys appeased for early-game "balance" sake
3. Conscripts become less useless, with better rifles
4. Ingenery will be used as a support/construction unit, rather than primary fighting unit (as many soviet players bypass Conscripts altogether)

To further balance Conscripts if the ONE pop cost scares people off from using them, you can either:
- Give all 8 members rifles from start
- Add no additional pop cost for NKVD (ie. leave at ONE pop cost after upgrade)

I welcome feedback and signatures.

Agree 100%.

Conscripts need to ditch the 'swarm' role because right now it just isn't working very well:

The population thing is annoying and I don't think having a squad cost no pop is in the spirit of the game. CoH is all about preserving your squad and treasuring it - using conscripts that cost no pop just doesn't feel right.

The whole running into enemy fire for those that don't have rifles is gimmicky and unless you guys can fix it I don't know why this is still in the mod.

Sometimes my squad ends up with 1 rifle and 3 unarmed guys.

Swarming w/ conscripts encourages blobbing and just isn't true to CoH gameplay. Smaller more manageable squads are more fun to use than large, half-equipped, gimmicky ones.

Squad sizes need to be reduced, everyone needs to get rifles from the start. With huge 8 man squads cover becomes a major issue, sometimes half my squad won't be in cover because there are too many people in it. This isn't a problem for the other factions because they were designed in the spirit of the game i.e. small, tactical squads not bumrushing.

Offline PSIHOPAT

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
Sounds good.

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
  • Id explain WWII to you but your head would explode
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:56 PM »
whats the point of preserving it if they do not get XP? and cost much less just to get a new one. Also it would be hard to fill even an early game pop cap with one pop units and late game if you get zerg rushed you are either doing something wrong or you are getting your ass handed to you already.

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!
Relic name: SauerKRAUTSHD

Offline Fhurion

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:48:05 PM »
I hear you Zerst.

And to be honest the primary reasons I had for posting this were A) the annoying issue of not knowing how many men are left in a Conscript squad [especially given how easily they're killed] and B) making Conscripts a more worthwhile squad to use for a Soviet player, hence the better rifle/full rifles at spawn.

I totally understand and appreciate the idea behind giving them 0 pop, half rifles, high numbers, and terrible skill. But I think in the interest of gameplay, addressing the pop cap/+ rifles issue would make them more worthwhile.

Offline Shaq

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
Make them take up one pop if they are all equiped with rifles, and maby had more than 10 hp each

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
OP I disagree with your opinions on conscript pop levels. I like the idea of there being a zerg rush in CoH plus non upgraded conscripts would be more useless if they cost pop. plus not taking up any pop makes conscripts very viable mid and late game as they can be used en mass.

[insert signature here]

Offline WartyX

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Dave got trolled! Trololol!
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front @ Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:02 AM »
I totally understand and appreciate the idea behind giving them 0 pop, half rifles, high numbers, and terrible skill. But I think in the interest of gameplay, addressing the pop cap/+ rifles issue would make them more worthwhile.

So you just want them to be Strelky?

Offline WhiteFlash

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Reborn
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »
the conscripts would work as is if they didnt have that thing where they run at the enemies for no reason, then they wouldent get caught in MG fire and supress the entire squad, it would make using cover more effective as well.

Offline Someone

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »
the conscripts would work as is if they didnt have that thing where they run at the enemies for no reason, then they wouldent get caught in MG fire and supress the entire squad, it would make using cover more effective as well.
That can be done, I did it for with volks before EF was released in order to see what the conscript concept was like lol. Although I'm not sure whether the running thing is an intentional feature or not.

I'd also like to see the conscripts without guns pickup a rifle once a conscript with one dies. Again I know this can be done but I'm not sure whether or not this is intentional.

I think those would raise more balance issues though lol.

I'd have to disagree with the OP though, these are things which make conscripts unique.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:51:16 AM by Someone »

Offline Voop_Bakon

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:20 AM »

So you just want them to be Strelky?

And there lies your answer. Conscripts are fine as is. The zero pop idea was to make the red tide effect that the russians used during some stages of WWII. Plus its a good way to buff an assault force when you hit pop limit. Considering Volks and motorcycle shred them, I don't see them as a early game problem. Leave it as it is.

Offline Panzer4life

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
i like the conscript as they are. I you are playing against the Russian and you are getting hammered by Conscripts, its because you don't have a MG team/bunker. Conscripts are super easy to kill, just get them suppress and drop a couple mortars on them. Or send in a Grenadier squad upgraded to carry two Mg-42 LMGs and vet them to level three.
No one can stop the German panzer divisions.

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
this is funny because I saw 3 unvetted Pio Squads shred a single (yeah I know if they where blobbed the pios would die) conscript squad they conscripts are weak as all hell and are good for stalling an enemy inf rush till you can get better units on the field

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 12:50:32 AM »
The conscripts´ role is to make Soviets have an epic negative K/D.