Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Balance the soviets would ya and AI  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Someone

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: Balance the soviets would ya and AI
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »
Go back to vCoH already like you said, no one cares.

Offline Fivestargeneral

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
Hi Vargas, [no offence] have you won the AI on expert, namely US, Wehr, PE and Soviets (Brits AI are easier to beat) in 1v1 common maps like Ango, Langres or Semois? These should be quite "open" maps.

Personally I don't frequently win the above expert AI, but it is possible on some occasions. In 2v2 games but with AI team player (expert) -- not human player, I have won 2 Soviets expert AI before. Map played is Wolfeze and Lorianne.

May I ask, when a human player drops in team games, what difficulty skill has the AI when it takes over the human? Is it expert?

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »
As I'm a fair and open minded guy and we 'd like to make sure we get things done the right way.... tell you what Vargas, we now have a replay section, so why not post that game so we can see how/why it went wrong.

From your description...
Only 1 guy dropped so you only faced one AI opponent with a beaten army and a second 'Human opponent' which had at that time a beaten army as well...facing two 'GOOD human players
And you're saying that one AI opponent with a 'crapy' Human ally at THAT moment in the game managed to turn everything around....as they say in GR 'replay or it didn't happen' ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:42:09 PM by Zerstörer »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline VargasTheSick

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »
As I'm a fair and open minded guy and we 'd like to make sure we get things done the right way.... tell you what Vargas, we now have a replay section, so why not post that game so we can see how/why it went wrong.

From your description...
Only 1 guy dropped so you only faced one AI opponent with a beaten army and a second 'Human opponent' which had at that time a beaten army as well...facing two 'GOOD human players
And you're saying that one AI opponent with a 'crapy' Human ally at THAT moment in the game managed to turn everything around....and as they say in GR 'replay or it didn't happen' ;D

I don't believe I saved the replay, I'll check when I get home, Im at work right now. If I still have it I have no problems uploading it !.

Offline VargasTheSick

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:12 AM »
Hi Vargas, [no offence] have you won the AI on expert, namely US, Wehr, PE and Soviets (Brits AI are easier to beat) in 1v1 common maps like Ango, Langres or Semois? These should be quite "open" maps.

Personally I don't frequently win the above expert AI, but it is possible on some occasions. In 2v2 games but with AI team player (expert) -- not human player, I have won 2 Soviets expert AI before. Map played is Wolfeze and Lorianne.

May I ask, when a human player drops in team games, what difficulty skill has the AI when it takes over the human? Is it expert?

Wolfeze is the smallest 2 vs 2 map in the game, and Lorianne is small as well. Try Duclair, Rails and Metal, Lorraine, any of those maps.

I am not sure what my opponent was replaced with, I can only assume it was hard, not quite expert. I couldn't believe all the units I was fighting against though. I hope I can find the replay tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance. Not to mention in the game the computer guy some SERIOUS lucky arty   ( 1 shot taking out an entire Volks squad, and 3 of my grens while they were regrouping, yea bad on my for having them grouped together. )

I can beat an Expert AI on Lyon, Vire, Scheldt, pretty much any map you can funnel him. Tank trap and sandbag the bridges, get 3 quick MG's down the middle and it's pretty much good game till you get a force to push through. However on an open large map, you just can't account all of your troops for what the soviets get to cap. It's not a lack of micromanagement. It's the fact that he simply has more, and his troops last longer. That's a downhill game.

Offline Narizna

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 04:42:14 AM »
so you're saying you can't fight Russian AIs on open maps?

so far since the 1.04 patch i have been able to beat the Russian AI everytime.

i have played against the hard Russian, once you get used to the new tactics you need to employ against Russia, you have gotten the next 10-15 minutes down set.

now let's say the player dropped, what about your ally you were playing with? Against russians you should immediately think "defensive strategy." you need to be ready for their good ol conscript rush at the start, if you are able to deplete that and keep a good portion of the map for the first 5 minutes, you are set to win.

-Narizna

Offline Fivestargeneral

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »

i have played against the hard Russian, once you get used to the new tactics you need to employ against Russia, you have gotten the next 10-15 minutes down set.

now let's say the player dropped, what about your ally you were playing with? Against russians you should immediately think "defensive strategy." you need to be ready for their good ol conscript rush at the start, if you are able to deplete that and keep a good portion of the map for the first 5 minutes, you are set to win.

-Narizna

Hi Narizna, may you play a 1v1 game (open maps, not chokepoints maps like St. Mere) with the Russian AI (hard or expert is fine) and upload that replay? I am interested to see how you survive the initial Russian blob and using the Defensive company.

Thank you.

Offline VargasTheSick

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

-Narizna

Hi Narizna, may you play a 1v1 game (open maps, not chokepoints maps like St. Mere) with the Russian AI (hard or expert is fine) and upload that replay? I am interested to see how you survive the initial Russian blob and using the Defensive company.

Thank you.

I would like to see that as well. I don't have my old replay because I never saved it, and I played another game with my brother right after ( Gilroys Harbor ) and beat the AI soviets. Again, Gilroys it is very easy to make a choke point for the soviets where they just keep walking into your MG fire.

Like the General said. Try this on any other Map. Hell, try it 1 on 1 Lyon. ANYONE that can beat a Hard or Expert soviet on that map I'll give you $50 via Paypal lol.

Offline 1richard

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
So....what you are saying, is that you were playing guys who were far from good players bsed on those stats....owned them(so you were happy then)...but once one stopped and the AI kicked in, you couldn't beat that because the AI gets a resource boost to compensate for the obviously not being as good as a human player(most of the time)...You should have finished off that player way before the 5 minute mark but my guess is you underestimated the AI controlled player.

We don't get complaints for AI being challenging and owning people very often...well done, you've made that very short list!

Lesson for you there...
The only AI "boost" from difficulty level to difficulty level is the multiplier for resources.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe Easy is 1.0 (meaning the same as a human), normal 1.1 or 1.2, hard a little higher and expert a little higher than that.

So say if it were 1.5 and their income would be 300 mp (using even numbers), they would get 450 mp per minute instead of 300 mp.

Though some accuse the AI of "cheating" due to this (which I understand the point, but vanilla AI does the same with resource bonuses AND health bonuses), the reality is the AI no matter how "smart" you make it needs extra resources to make more "human like" decisions.

Whereas you, the human, know to make a purchase/use an ability at the precise moment you have enough, the AI tends to want a little more than enough and always has some in reserve.  So, in reality, it doesn't fully use the bonuses it gets and never will.

i fully aggray with you ;D ;)
if you strom beaches there will always be victims.
Here is a good example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSx20dC_XOo&feature=PlayList&p=9F43321A0B7E35D1&index=5 [nofollow]

Offline mystic-eye

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
So...$50 to anyone who can beat Russians 1v1 on Lyon with AI set to hard?  Looks like a challenge to the community if you ask me. You really going to pay $50 to everyone supplying a replay of that win or are you just flapping your lips?

Post Merge: February 08, 2010, 09:18:59 PM
First try. Lyon 1v1 vs Russians on Hard....and I noobed it.  Here's the replay in a zip (not sure how to share the replay any other way.)

http://the-package.net/CoH/50BucksOrShutup.zip

You can send the $50 to mystic@the-package.net
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:18:59 PM by mystic-eye »

Offline PSIHOPAT

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
:))))))

What a game....
I thought will be a really fun watching that replay...but..it seems not...

AI make almost nothing,just sit and let you to collect points for victory.

Or is replay bugged or you trick in some way,because i can't recognize that AI,who don't move units in 70% of the time from all replay...don't even capture territory...just few...and all units killed is one squad of conscript....really bloody battle i must recognize...

Try to play annihilate next time,and we hope to see this time a real battle...not this....

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:13:20 PM by PSIHOPAT »

Offline mystic-eye

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
"Hell, try it 1 on 1 Lyon. ANYONE that can beat a Hard or Expert soviet on that map I'll give you $50 via Paypal lol."

It was never mentioned HOW it had to be done. There were no rules posted etc. No, it wasn't exciting. It was extremely boring, but it got the job done. He stated he would pay $50 if it could be done...and I made it so.

The AI will break down if you block off its goals (like the VP's). You lock it out and it's gg.

Offline PSIHOPAT

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
Something was wrong with that AI

disable fog of war and you will see how sit and do nothing

Offline VargasTheSick

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »
"Hell, try it 1 on 1 Lyon. ANYONE that can beat a Hard or Expert soviet on that map I'll give you $50 via Paypal lol."

It was never mentioned HOW it had to be done. There were no rules posted etc. No, it wasn't exciting. It was extremely boring, but it got the job done. He stated he would pay $50 if it could be done...and I made it so.

The AI will break down if you block off its goals (like the VP's). You lock it out and it's gg.

If you want actual $50, yea I'll make some rules too it lol. And the AI needs to function. Like I said, if my previous posts, I have no problems on maps with choke points. Sure you can block Lyons bridges and the computer say's WTF do I do now ?. I guess Lyon is not the best example. I suppose a better map might be wrecked train as it's more open.

Offline Happycat

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 12:46:41 AM »

If you want actual $50, yea I'll make some rules too it lol. And the AI needs to function. Like I said, if my previous posts, I have no problems on maps with choke points. Sure you can block Lyons bridges and the computer say's WTF do I do now ?. I guess Lyon is not the best example. I suppose a better map might be wrecked train as it's more open.

That's it, I'm in. brb, defeating the EXPERT AI in wrecked train with the PE no less.