Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Unit suggestion thread:  (Read 393879 times)

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
Unit suggestion thread:
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
Here u can post or discuss your unit ideas!
( e.g. "axis"soldier-squads, new tanks, new planes - with ability and squad size and weapons and so on. )

!!! For a "poll" at THIS thread please write me a PN
with all details for a poll. !!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:50:26 AM by Lord Rommel »
May the force be with you.

Offline Mr. Someguy

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: Unit suggestion thread:
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:00:18 AM »
I personally would like to see Volkssturm Troops somewhere in CoH, possibly as basic early infantry (like volks). Could be poorly trained and fairly cheap, and come in a squad of 6 or so. They could armed with a mix of Kar98's and G98's (cosmetic difference), and be upgradeable to cheap MP3008's and/or VG1-5's to increase combat effectiveness, they also have the Panzerfaust ability.

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
3 units should be a must for Ostheer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »
IMO these 3 units (or its similar derivates) represents the Ostheer very well and could be fun to play. Not to mention that Ostheer should be counterweight to Russian Army. This means good infantry killer to hurt zounds of infantry and later strong armor to counter huge ammount of tanks.

1. small movable artillery, something like mortar but with greater range and slower speed, ability to bombard. Could be f.e.:
7.5 cm le.IG 18 (300 MP, 20 Fuel):5 men

Should be available soon (at a time enemy can deploy mortars, tier2)

2. heavy tank, either PzV Panther or even better PzVI Tiger as non-doctrinal unit.
Until research some Reliability upgrade, it has possibility 33% engine breakdown similar to critical hit to engine, which is checked in every 1min. interval, result engine damage can be repaired normally (this is reflecting poor reliability of first vehicles).

3. elite infantry troops, to counterweight lots of elite infantry (Guards, Snipers etc.). Could be f.e.:
Stormtroopers (Stosstruppen) (500 MP): 4 men squad
3xMP44, 1xMG42, elite infantry with better armor and health

- possible upgrade with 7.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 40 (recoilless gun) (125 Ammo)
- ability to Throw grenade (25 Ammo)
- ability to Throw smoke grenade (free, cooldown)
- ability to Fight hand-to-hand (free, cooldown)... assaulting enemy infantry when they get close, they can attack relentlessly engaging close infantry hand-to-hand for short period (5 seconds, reload 3 sec. so each man can kill max.2 close enemies) killing instantly with 1 shot
- ability to run (similar to PE run, not fireup!) (free, cooldown)
- ability to Assault buildings, when building is seized with enemy infantry Stormtroopers can enter building and enage garrisoned units, the result of fight will be decided by shoot-out comparing overall health of Stormtroopers and garrisoned units, who has bigger won, loser is dead
- ability to cross unpassable water in rubber boat (like rivers, lakes)... is it even possible to implement into CoH engine such ability?

Offline My Name Is Ante

• Guard
  • Please, my name is Ante not Dante
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »
MG 34 (260 MP 3 Pop)
Type: Support Infantry
Role: Anti-Infantry
   Equipped with a Tripod MG 34, they get lesser damage and suppression rate. In exchange, they gain longer range.

Zündapp KS750 (180 MP 2 Pop)
Type: Light Vehicle
Role: Recon
   Similar with motorcycle but equipped with MG 34 and have better armor.

Gebirgsjäger (375 MP 6/8 Pop)
Type: Main Infantry
Role: Assault
   Gebirgsjäger (Mountain Riflemen) are the Waffen SS squad consists of 3/4 men. They are equal to Knight Cross Holder in armor term, but only use Kar98k.

Well, these units is the unit that I really wish to be available...
I am sorry for my bad

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 units should be a must for Ostheer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:27:29 PM »
small movable artillery, something like mortar but with greater range and slower speed, ability to bombard. Could be f.e.:
7.5 cm le.IG 18 (300 MP, 20 Fuel):5 men
+1

Offline Mr. Someguy

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
The Basic Infantry should have an MP40 upgrade. Stronger than the Volk MP40, but weaker than the StG44 spammed by PE.

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Flak 38 team (350 manpower, 3 men)
Type: Support
Role: Anti-infantry and light anti-vehicle

A Flak 38 mounted on the Sonderanhanger 51 trailer. Weighing roughly half as much as the Pak 38, it can be speedily wheeled around the battlefield and quickly set up. It does very high damage to infantry units, but lacks the fast suppression abilities of the faster firing support units currently at the axis's disposal. It also is effective against recon units like jeeps, and armored cars.

Basically works like a rapid fire Pak that's good against infantry but loses its effectiveness against medium/heavy armor. I think it's a good Yin to the soviet infantry blobs Yang.

To give you an idea of just how potent this weapon could be, here's a neat vid of a Flak 38 vs a Volvo. Flak 38 20mm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:23:47 PM by BDNeon »

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »
The Basic Infantry should have an MP40 upgrade. Stronger than the Volk MP40, but weaker than the StG44 spammed by PE.
Volk MP40 is as good as Thompsons/Stens.

I would like to see a non german basic infantry with 1 (not 2 like the british) LMG upgrade. A reskinned BREN will do. 40ammo. That will make them different than any other infantry.

Offline GamblerSK

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »
what about mortar team 3 man crew - 8 cm mortar vz 36
It broke down into three loads, barrel, baseplate and tripod, for transport. Normally one man carried each piece.

it can have ability to load heavy or light cartridge

It fired two different mortar bombs, a light 3.265 kilograms (7.20 lb) bomb to a range of 3,400 metres (3,700 yd) and a heavy 6.85 kilograms (15.1 lb) bomb to 1,200 metres (1,300 yd)

so when you have loaded heavy bomb firerate will slow and the range decreased but it will be stronger or you switch to light bomb and the range increased also rate of fire but it will be weaker...

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
What about the Sd.Kfz.9 Famo super heavy halftrack?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._9

Cost:
300 manpower/30 fuel (in recovery form)
400 manpower/120 fuel (in mobile flak 88 form)
It was a halftrack produced from 1938 onwards that was designed to be powerful enough to tow disabled heavy tanks. This thing was a monster, it's the largest, heaviest halftrack of WWII and (I think, not sure) of all time. Note the scale compared to the SUV in the background and the man just coming around to the left of the front.

It could function as a recovery vehicle as a cheaper more fragile version of the Bergepanther, or in its role as a carrier for the Flak 88, having to lock down to use the gun.

I'm actually working on a model of the vehicle for my Animation Portfolio class in Maya, and would be happy to donate it once complete.

BTW, what do you guys think of this and my Flak 38 weapon team suggestion? Input, please!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:37:33 AM by BDNeon »

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
The Version with the Flak were used at the western front
so it would be new for me that such a version fight at the east and so for me such a vehicle is not option for the Ostheer.

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Doh. I'm trying to find info on where the Flak 38 was used on the Sonderhanger 51 Saving Private Ryan style, but information on the usage of the gun/carriage combination is scarce.

Seems strange to me that such usage would be restricted to one front. I know that the Flak 38 was certainly in use in numbers on the eastern front, along with the carriage.

Does anyone have any info on where Saving Private Ryan got the idea of the Flak 38 being fired directly from its trailer? Was it just some hollywood concoction or is there some history to it? I've looked but I can't find much.

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
Well...the "normal" usage of the Flak 38 is that u pull the weapon with the Sonderanhänger 51 to its position, build  up the gun at the position and start with the fire ;)

BUT it could happen that a crew was "surprised" by an enemy and so the crew had to fire direct without build up the gun.

BUT i'm confused too because first u speak from the 8,8cm Flak on SdKfz. 9 and now u talk about the 2cm Flak 38 and of restricting to one front!?

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
Oh, I thought you were referring to my first suggestion with your reply when you just said the flak. I didn't realize you meant the halftrack mounted flak.

Offline Daiwiz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:53:16 AM »
My suggestion is put the flak on the back of an SdKfz, I think it was. I know that they did put the Flak 38 on the backs of some trucks, but I am too lazy to search the numbers ;D

An extra thought is to give some of the higher tier infantry Mosin-Nagants and PPSH's (In small numbers) reflecting the fact that towards the end the Germans were fighting with small amounts of arms and ammunition.

One suggestion is an assault team: about a 5 man team with 1 mp40, 3 kar98ks, and a flamethrower with reduced damage, if possible. When a Flammenwerfer was not available, all you needed was a tube, a plunger, some gasoline or the stuff that you spray on your lawn to kill stuff such as bugs and weeds (I am brain farting unfortunately...) and you would then have a very effective weapon. It was on a TV show I like, as it's about the second world war, but I can't remember the bloody name...

Since I've got better stuff to do, I'll put it into a more organized form:

StoßTruppen: (300 MP 15 Mun 5 Pop)
Type: Heavy infantry
Role: Assault upon an entrenched position
   Heavily armed and armored brave infantrymen trained to assault entrenched Soviet soldiers. They are armed with 1 MP40, 3 Kar98ks, and 1 flamethrower.

Notes: They get a bonus assaulting buildings and units in green cover, but have a detriment against units in no cover or red cover. Orange cover there is no difference. They have armor equal to American Airborne troops. The flamethrower does less damage than the normal flamethrower because it is essentially homemade. They take less suppression, reflecting their bravery. They come with Steilhandgranates which are 30 munis. They also have a satchel charge for 50 Munis. Optional idea is the GebalteLadung, but that might be overkill. I put the muni's in their initial cost because of the flamethrower. I made the manpower higher than squads of that size because of their characteristics such as the armor and difficulty of suppression.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:33:51 AM by Daiwiz »
In Soviet Union, rifle shoots you!