Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.04] IL-2 ability  (Read 9340 times)

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
[1.04] IL-2 ability
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »
i just lost 4 complete vet3 pe grenadier squads in the first run (1st plane attacking)... did anyone experience the same? or was i just to slow to move my units? i know it's a late game ability but i have seen it destroy complete armies (tanks and inf) so many times... it i think it should not be useable on command territory (own and enemy). otherwise you rush the soviet base and the enemy just kills your army and counter attacks....
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P

Offline Narizna

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: [1.04] IL-2 ability
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
i have never experienced this, and i usually have beaten the soviet player before he gets this.

vise verse, as a German player you get the hell out of there. I would say that it was more of a bad luck having all PE grenadier squads die then a balance problem, remember it takes 10 experience points to get the IL-2 ability.

-Narizna

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »
it was not the first time.
this time i played prokhorovka and finally rushed the last base. the soviet player called in the il-2 and killed all i had but 2 units... i won in the end, but i think it is too strong considering that he can also call in isu-152 as many times as he wishes.

the henschel run for example is ineffective vs inf, strafing/bombing runs are just one attack and not multiple...

a possible solution would be to make the player unable to use it on command territory.
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »
Question, did you have Group Zeal and was it Attack or Defense Vet?

Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:00:14 AM »
The question is not about withstanding the strafes, rather its all about avoiding them.

I think you should see the yellow circle markers on the ground right after he placed the ability in the area.  Just retreat your infantry right away and keep your vehicles away from that area until it wears off.  Alternatively, if you are confident about your micro reactions, you can try to hide your tanks behind buildings as the bombing runs come.  IMO its much better to deal with than the USA strafe that comes with no warning.

At any rate, even if you don't see the yellow markers, the incoming plane on the mini-map should be warning enough to retreat your infantry.  Also if the map is big enough, I don't think the IL-2 strafe is instant like the USA one.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:07:26 AM by Chancellor »

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:46:24 AM »
i had everything researched and i saw the markers, but the problem was that i moved my troops away and the plane came right into that direction though they weren't even close to the markers anymore...

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
  • Id explain WWII to you but your head would explode
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
it has a big radius, about the same as the PE panzernacker. Do as chancellor says though hid a squad next to each building and he will bomb himself to oblivion and get more AA (Flaks, whirbls, ostwinds) at least get your bud too.

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!
Relic name: SauerKRAUTSHD

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
it i think it should not be useable on command territory (own and enemy). otherwise you rush the soviet base and the enemy just kills your army and counter attacks....

something similiar happend to me as well.
lost a lot of halftracks and a hummel right after the first time the IL-2 was there. Than i tried to retread my tanks but it also took one of my Panzer  IV.
Its seems to be too strong besides the ISU as well.

sounds like a solution to me:

it i think it should not be useable on command territory (own and enemy). otherwise you rush the soviet base and the enemy just kills your army and counter attacks....

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
OH by all means I love it when I use tanks and they use the IL2 run in their command sector... I use it to quickly destroy the base... its hilarious

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
That should not happen, same as god of war they cannot target a base...they're not meant to anyways.
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:25:20 PM »
They can use it in their own command Sectors, but if you have it in the German Command Sectors then they probably put it as close as possible to the edge of the sector to  hit you're base

Chancellor

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »
i had everything researched and i saw the markers, but the problem was that i moved my troops away and the plane came right into that direction though they weren't even close to the markers anymore...

Infantry can't withstand or dodge the strafes no matter how upgraded they are or how hard you micro, just retreat them right away.  As for the vehicles, it is possible to dodge the bombing runs.  If you are trying to opt for escape, just be aware that the AoE is big, so you might get bomb runned once or twice before you get out of the radius, so be prepared to micro them hard anyways (don't run them away in a straight line and spread out a bit).  Provided you are a half-decent player, one eye should always be right on top the minimap.  Plan ahead what direction those planes are coming from.

If he put the marker near your base sector, then you are screwed, because although the markers cannot be put directly into the base sector, the AoE still effects the base sector, therefore even if your infantry retreated, they will get strafed to death in front of their HQ building.  At that point, you just have to pray those noob PE base flaks actually hit something.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:18:55 AM by Chancellor »

Offline Versedhorison

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
I was playing a 2vcpu not long ago and my king tiger managed to avoid and survive about 4 or 5 IL-2 attacks on it despite going down to 1% health at one point.

[insert signature here]

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
Strafes are anti-blob abilities. Dont blob and you want get mass strafed.

Just watched a game where commando squad used smoke and run into a blob 2 grenadieres (no MGs) and 2 pios (only 1 flamethrower). For the fatherland(defensive) was used and Commandos lost 4 men and had to retreat.
These tough grens (vet 2) have to got a weaknees. You cant make them bomb proof.

Offline Narizna

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:04 AM »
did a game and the Russians did the ability.

i retract my earlier statement and i will have to say that the IL-2 Ability needs a small nerf.

i dont think it should both strafe AND bomb.

-Narizna