Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: What do people look for in a map?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
What do people look for in a map?
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
Market research :P

I'd like to know what you personally look for in a map. Anything missing from the Poll, just say and I'll put it up.

Offline Sovereign

• Guard
    • View Profile
Re: What do people look for in a map?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:20:50 AM »
I would say a combination of strategic layouts and strategic chokepoints.  ;)

TS3 2.0: ts55.gameservers.com:9374

Offline vietlord

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
balanced but enough place to move and act

shield, lyon-bridge dead with an early blocking-free

after overteching arty and it's done

we also look for historical battle names
pleeeease criticize or comment my ostheer try
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=3265.0

Offline Happycat

• Donor
  • Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »
Personally I like maps with lots of detail or an unique atmosphere (like the Ghost town map).

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:05:39 AM »
I like maps that favor defensive purposes like Lyon and Hill 331(or something like that) that have good chokepoints.
Molly: " It's our rock garden"
Dwight: "What are you farming, Bullcrap?"

You Are a Rebel Spy and a traitor to the Empire!
~Darth Vader

Any typos found may be given to Seeme.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
Personally I like maps with lots of detail or an unique atmosphere (like the Ghost town map).
+1 Ghost Town is an excellent map. I prefer Temporary/Soft Chokepoints with normal resources, small town or/and slightly battle scarred.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Oxygen

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
my preferances are:

1. Rectangular map for 2v2 is best, as they can play together and not double 1v1.
2a. There shouldn't be a 1 important sector, and whoever gets it has a huge advantage. There should be a reason to cap the whole map.
2b. There shouldn't be 2 important sectors in different sides as it makes the game double 1v1. So it may be better to have small fuel resources sectors scattered all over the map (medium munition is fine).
3. There should also be a way to flank any spot, or avoid it in the case of MG in a house.

Offline WarChief

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
I love large maps (6 and 8 player) with villages all round it.  Plenty of places to setup shop and make forward bases.  Villages place the right way make natural choke points also.  I also love the tiny details that some makers put in.  It's truly a shame that it all gets destroyed.  I love me some Brits with Priest and creeping barrage.  Flatten whole villages is my hobby.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:41:44 PM by WarChief »

Offline Hurson

• Ingenery
  • 21st of January.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
I once again despair at the number of Scheldte veterans and lockdown - arty fight - full wehr veterancy before attacking people.

Well enough of that.

I'd like an all out city map in ruins, with a Stalingrad feel to it. I want the space to be cramped so infantry warfare will be rewarded.

Offline PoldekPL

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
I don't think that many players think about this, but i like it very much: fitting environment to type of point - strategic points in the fields, on roads, crossroads. Munitions in munition depots/near ammo crates. Fuel points in factories/houses/near fuel barrels. This would make orientation on the map much easier, like "It's factory, we can expect heavy amounts of fuel and some munition, we need to take&hold it fast, it's IMPORTANT!"

Offline Mad hatters in jeans

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
I tried making a map, then realised it was just ridiculous to actually try and play it, too much mod and tech info needed.
-_____-
It did look nice though.

I look for medium-large maps and solid chokepoints a few scattered buildings not too many, and i like the suggestion about putting fuel points in factories and munitions points near ammo boxes.
also i like fuel points far away from each other, clustered fuel points=fail, all it needs is an aggressive player to take them early and then all they need do is turtle until armour tier and rip opponent to shreds.

Offline EP13

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:39 PM »
I love large maps (6 and 8 player) with villages all round it.  Plenty of places to setup shop and make forward bases.  Villages place the right way make natural choke points also.  I also love the tiny details that some makers put in.  It's truly a shame that it all gets destroyed.  I love me some Brits with Priest and creeping barrage.  Flatten whole villages is my hobby.

+1 except of the priest and the creeping barrage
"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."
"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
"In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance."

-Joseph Stalin

Offline HansBlix

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
Rails n Metal and Duclair are my favs.

What I'd put weight on:

# rectangular (for a nice frontline in 2on2)
# not too much ressource points
# several nice chokepoints (at VP's) with different layout and tactical cover
# no wrecks (something I can take care of myself xD)
# Some houses with strategic value, but not too many
# balanced ressource layout (!!!)

In EF Tannenberg and Prokhorovska are the one's i love. Followed by Kursk, though the tank traps look weird.... like someone mowed down the lawn to build them... xD

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:41:42 PM »
I once again despair at the number of Scheldte veterans and lockdown - arty fight - full wehr veterancy before attacking people.

Well enough of that.

I'd like an all out city map in ruins, with a Stalingrad feel to it. I want the space to be cramped so infantry warfare will be rewarded.

+1 I would love to see more "infanterie-warfare" orientated map, with large avenue, thematic buildings with lots of window (example: a big city-hall covering a place, a big factory-complex...). The actual "Stalingrad" map disapointed me, because there is almost no buildings (or entirely destroyed), and no cover, no thematics place... Same for "Berlin". And Leningrad look like another Scheldt.
I wish there will be much more thematic map in the future, its very funny to play on.

I dont know if anybody is annoyed by the fact that numerous map contains wrong tanks: we can see destroyed T-34/85, as well as destroyed KV-2 in Kursk. It break the feel of an immersive and detailled game!  ;D

my preferances are:

1. Rectangular map for 2v2 is best, as they can play together and not double 1v1.
2a. There shouldn't be a 1 important sector, and whoever gets it has a huge advantage. There should be a reason to cap the whole map.
2b. There shouldn't be 2 important sectors in different sides as it makes the game double 1v1. So it may be better to have small fuel resources sectors scattered all over the map (medium munition is fine).
3. There should also be a way to flank any spot, or avoid it in the case of MG in a house.

+1 for 1st and 2nd point. But the third seem strange to me:
if there is always a way to flank a MG spots, soviet infantery will always overwhelmed german player.  :-\
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline HansBlix

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
The actual "Stalingrad" map disapointed me, because there is almost no buildings (or entirely destroyed),
Fully agree! Though it would have perfectly fit the scenery of Stalingrad to have to smoke out the other side from their houses and buildings they occupy... a pitty.