Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Suggestion of Soviet units  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion of Soviet units
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »
Too many light vehicles says I.
Molly: " It's our rock garden"
Dwight: "What are you farming, Bullcrap?"

You Are a Rebel Spy and a traitor to the Empire!
~Darth Vader

Any typos found may be given to Seeme.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
This stuff would be alright if we added in an early war campaign.

We already have a BT-7 model, personally I think the BT-7 or/and T-26 could replace the T-70 as a reward unit, BT-7a could replace the T-90. BA-11 doesn't really have something it could replace, plus, it wasn't even near as numerous as the BA-10.

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:02:25 PM »
I agree that the BT-7 would be good to replace the T-70, adds a little more in combat ya know?

~Darth Vader

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
We already have a BT-7 model, personally I think the BT-7 or/and T-26 could replace the T-70 as a reward unit, BT-7a could replace the T-90.

This actually sounds really nice for me. I guess i've seen this model somewhere, but its long ago, but it did look very nice man. t-26 looks like a toy, since its really a pre-war tank. Its compareable to the first "modern" tank-design out of france..

What role would it actually take?

We dont need a tank taking right the same role.. what i mean to say is that it needs something which differs it from the tank it replaces.. do you got any ideas yet about that?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:46:43 PM by Venoxxis »

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:58 AM »
T-26 is inferior to T-70 , but I voted for BT-7.

~Darth Vader

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:12:16 AM »
T-26 could be comparable to a damaged engine upgunned Puma. Replacing the T-70... sure, the T-26 is less armoured and slower, but it would be cheaper, could be upgraded with Applique armour and could possibly have a KhT-133 Flamethrower upgrade. T-26 had 53 variations, its a useful tank when you look beyond its speed and armour.

What role would it actually take?
We dont need a tank taking right the same role.. what i mean to say is that it needs something which differs it from the tank it replaces.. do you got any ideas yet about that?

You need to seriously consider balance in that case, its easier to give a replacement tank that is more or less similar in some ways to the Tank it replaces. You have stuff like GWagen and Stug, Hellcat and M10, T-17 and Greyhound... these are more or less the same, but then you have stuff like the Kangaroo and Cromwell which are very different, upsetting balance.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:38 AM »
If balance is not equal then COH will be warped into a different dimension, creating black holes in the middle of the map of EVERY game created from then forth, therefore sucking in all buildings and units, exterminating the universe and altering the course of WWII history by far...making aliens the victor, destroying Russia and Germany, and giving the country of Turkey world power, but the black hole would eventually consume the leader, leaving China the last country, and the Aliens pulled out. Thus, Europe is not only devastated but so is every other continent. All of the sudden nukes launch from all countries and collide in the atmosphere to destroy the earth...

Wait...What?

I seriously like the idea. If I could do a Thumbs Up smiley this is where it'd be appropriate.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Akalonor

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:22:57 AM »
Wow.....thats deep Cranial, very deep...........

~Darth Vader

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:48:26 AM »
Wow.....thats deep Cranial, very deep...........

My ramble made absolutely no sense XD

But it got to the point. Balance is not a want. It's a NEED in COH. Or, you know, you can always TRY to unbalance it. You'd probably just end up with the above result. ;D
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
T-26 could be comparable to a damaged engine upgunned Puma. Replacing the T-70... sure, the T-26 is less armoured and slower, but it would be cheaper, could be upgraded with Applique armour and could possibly have a KhT-133 Flamethrower upgrade. T-26 had 53 variations, its a useful tank when you look beyond its speed and armour.

Additional aromour and especially that flamethrower does sound really nice for me. I've found a picture with both the flamethrower and the add. armour:

In my opinion a early game tank with flamethrowers sounds really very nice. Its compareable to a stuart, it actually forces the german player to build a AT-gun.
But by the time it would be avialable - i mean you need the tankhall first - it would be quite useless since the german would have either paks/schrecks or AT-granandes already. And loosing its mobility compared to the t-70/90 it would get hunted just like a seal on the dry land .. :(

Its a pre-war tank .. these tanks were poorly mobile, but to get it usefull in the soviet union it has to be either a call in or we need some serious changes to make it earlier avialable. I wont name any solution since their are some many but the most wont agree to any of them.

Here i see a true problem of the soviet army which seriously limits their varity and mobility, even if they have the highest varity of units.

For anyone who wants to see the sheer amout of differnet T-26 models:
General variants of the T-26
Self propelled guns based on the T-26

You need to seriously consider balance in that case, its easier to give a replacement tank that is more or less similar in some ways to the Tank it replaces. You have stuff like GWagen and Stug, Hellcat and M10, T-17 and Greyhound... these are more or less the same, but then you have stuff like the Kangaroo and Cromwell which are very different, upsetting balance.

True just true. Even the Gwagen which replaces the stug is a joke. Just comparing their stats: The Stug has 400hp and the Gwagen 375. The Stug does 87.5 damage but the Gwagen 250 xD.

In my opionion its also most important that the tanks are quite compareable talking about their power, but still different how they bring their power on the field.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:14:16 PM by Venoxxis »

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
This topic keeps coming back time and time again.

To me the best swap units (non doctrinal) would be:

T-90 -> BA-64 (scout car)
Becouse BA-64 is a not a tank it would be build in Tier II.
Finally T-34 or even IS-2 wont be the first Soviet vechicle on the battlefield.

BT-7 -> T-70
Faster but less HP. It can have a 45mm or a 76,2mm stubby gun (low rate of fire or/and accuracy). It would be great for circle strafing PAKs and Marders. I find T-70 is too slow to do that (on rough terain).

SU-85 -> KV-1 (same low accuracy gun as T-34, Churchills armor)
SU-100 -> KV-8 (flame tank similar to British Croc)
KV-1/KV-8 would be slower than T-34, even more expensive than SU-85/SU-100 and would have a flame tank upgrade for 300ammo so a flame wont apear early in the game.

Also T-34 and IS-2 shouldnt be replaced becouse there was no tank worthy to raplace them.
Same goes for US Sherman and Wehrmacht PzIV and Panther.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
It seems that the T-26 would be quite pointless due to its poor mobility. Still, as an early war unit for an early war campaign, it would be indispensable... the amount of improvements it could get are numerous... search light (increased range/reveal distance/vision field?), camouflage, improved engine, 75mm recoiless turret... fuck, it would be like playing with Lego XD

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
T-90 -> BA-64 (scout car)
Becouse BA-64 is a not a tank it would be build in Tier II.
Finally T-34 or even IS-2 wont be the first Soviet vechicle on the battlefield.

BT-7 -> T-70
Faster but less HP. It can have a 45mm or a 76,2mm stubby gun (low rate of fire or/and accuracy). It would be great for circle strafing PAKs and Marders. I find T-70 is too slow to do that (on rough terain).

SU-85 -> KV-1 (same low accuracy gun as T-34, Churchills armor)
SU-100 -> KV-8 (flame tank similar to British Croc)
KV-1/KV-8 would be slower than T-34, even more expensive than SU-85/SU-100 and would have a flame tank upgrade for 300ammo so a flame wont apear early in the game.

Nice summary sounds mostly really well thought paciat. The only thing which actually doesnt fit is the KV-1, because another medium/heavy tank is not needed.

Also the KV-8 had a worse gun, which made it far worse against armour, and a global upgrade therefore wouldnt be that good..

The KV-8 is urban-king.. replacing the KV-2 maybe .. but the SU-122 which is planned actually if im right is the better choise.

It seems that the T-26 would be quite pointless due to its poor mobility. Still, as an early war unit for an early war campaign, it would be indispensable... the amount of improvements it could get are numerous... search light (increased range/reveal distance/vision field?), camouflage, improved engine, 75mm recoiless turret... fuck, it would be like playing with Lego XD

yea     Lego
    ;D

But yea, its poor mobility make it quite useless especially ingame.. but in a early war campain i would really enjoy using these strange tanks.. doesnt matter in which lego varity :D

But maybe one of these self-propelled guns may fit in the faction as well..
But actually the most important is that the soviets get a usefull early game vehicle just as paciat pointed out already.

Offline comrade2012

• Guard
  • "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:35 AM »
The T-26 would be cool. How muvh would it cost???
maybe:
280 manpower, 35fuel, 5popcap
"It is better to fight for something than live for nothing." George Patton