Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.11]Upgraded Mortar  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Budwise

• Guard
    • View Profile
[1.11]Upgraded Mortar
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
2 Shots bunkers.  Get 2 of them and its a constant 105 barrage.  Yes its 800MP but its on map arty that you can have within 8 minutes of the game.

Proposal: Reduce the cost, give them an incendiary round option for 15 munis instead of the artillery shell upgrade.  Maybe upgrade their cool down or range instead with the upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:47:34 PM by Budwise »

Offline WhiteFlash

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Reborn
Re: [1.11]Upgraded Mortar
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
agreed

Offline mooooooo

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »
no i disagree. the Russians who are heavily inf oriented are vary vulnerable to mgs and mg bunkers so it is supposed to be there as a counter until tanks come online. otherwise a pair of mg bunker could wipe out half of the Russian army. and since they are vary expensive easily killed off and non recrewable if any thing your not getting your moneys worth

Offline Budwise

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:15:53 PM »
Mortars are one thing, onmap nonstop artillery fire 7 minutes into the game and 2 shotting a bunker is another.  They should definitely have a mortar but an artillery piece it should not be.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 10:51:09 PM »
We can reduce the damage it does to bunkers and buildings to compensate and increase the cooldown between barrages a bit more
Incendiary round is too...PE so would rather avoid it
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline PoldekPL

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
Seems like since 1.10 came out Soviet mortars are arty-like AFTER up-ing them in Armoury... when they fire SO-DAMN-HEAVY-EXPLOSIVE rounds I'm not suprised they take out bunker with two hits, but before upgrading them, when they use classing mortar grenades, they should act vs bunkers like normal mortar.
We cannot forget that mortars are one of not so many ways that Soviets deal with MG's (and bunkers) - they can rush (Major needed), flank (free space needed), use armour (teching-up needed) or use mortars - if they use HE rounds let it be as it is - 2-hit-down, but with normal grenades they should act like normal mortar.

Offline mooooooo

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »
Seems like since 1.10 came out Soviet mortars are arty-like AFTER up-ing them in Armoury... when they fire SO-DAMN-HEAVY-EXPLOSIVE rounds I'm not suprised they take out bunker with two hits, but before upgrading them, when they use classing mortar grenades, they should act vs bunkers like normal mortar.
We cannot forget that mortars are one of not so many ways that Soviets deal with MG's (and bunkers) - they can rush (Major needed), flank (free space needed), use armour (teching-up needed) or use mortars - if they use HE rounds let it be as it is - 2-hit-down, but with normal grenades they should act like normal mortar.

i second that

Offline PSIHOPAT

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
Edit:Flaming post removed-We've talked about this over a dosen times! If you can't post in a decent constructive manner, don't post at all
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:25:59 PM by Zerstörer »

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 02:20:14 AM »
The 120 mortar is a highly used strong point for the Soviets for mid-game.

Replacing it will just make another boring faction, because EVERY faction has THE SAME mortar type damage. (All VERY Close, I should say)

None of them are as powerful as the Soviets.

However, the Soviets lack good infantry in start-game :P

It's kinda what makes them unique, their support center.

You'll find if you spam Tank Hunters and use Red Tide, MOST German tanks CAN'T stop them.

I was in a 4 v 4 in Berlin, with 1 teamate who quit early. (So 3 CPUS) VS 2 of my friend on teamspeak, with 2 CPUS.

One of my friends went PE, and he was SPAMMING panthers like no end, and had a JagdPanther.

Tanks of mine couldn't even get CLOSE to him. Even IS-2s were obliterated.

So the thought popped in my head as his tanks approached me, close, close, close.

"TANK HUNTERS FTW?"

So, with the upgrade, I had about 8 squads of PRTD Tank Hunters.

Surprisingly, they took out a Half-Health Jagdpanther, THREE Panthers, a Hetzer, and a Bergetiger before dying.

My friend nearly pissed himself when he saw that my squads were not only all back in good shape after he killed them with his last 2 panthers, but I had also sent in 2 more PRTD and 2 Red Banner Strelky to counter Panzer Grenadiers.

They obliterated the panthers and the RBS PPSH-41 tore the Panzer Grenadiers to shreds.

It's all about combination of good units IMO. The Mortar just adds a good mid game, not so useful late game.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Renas

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
What a stupid topic.

Every faction have weak and strong points.
Germans are OP if they have stug,tiger,nebewerfer,stuka,and many other sh*ts..?..

Seriously guys....GROW UP...AND STOP WITH BULLSH*TS...

Make some constructive criticism and stop whimper for all the crap

Here we have a person with a good understanding of COH coming to this forum and calmly talking about balance issues. So you decide to flame him for no apparent reason?

Offline Mad hatters in jeans

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »
I have mixed views on the mortar. On the one hand they're effective albiet costly.

However they are insanely powerful.  I would also like to note the soviets early game is overpowered while their late-game power is limited in comparison to Wehrmacht.

Oh and the Berlin map deployment zones need fixed, if you play as Panzer Elite they never have enough space to deploy all their buildings.-_______________-.

Offline vietlord

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 01:33:10 AM »
the Mortar is just a bit too powerfull vs bunker ... and german MUST stay moving (including cloak AT gun)
pleeeease criticize or comment my ostheer try
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=3265.0

Offline Grunt

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
We can reduce the damage it does to bunkers and buildings to compensate
+1
and increase the cooldown between barrages a bit more

Leave us arti freaks something to play with. 120 mm mortar ? Makes my day complete. Let it be inaccurate and wide spread. Its just the way we like it. Its a 'feel the power' sensation better then sex (almost). Let it be,its the only reason us Russian players recruit a mortar unit.

Offline rtil

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
The 120 mortar is a highly used strong point for the Soviets for mid-game.

Replacing it will just make another boring faction, because EVERY faction has THE SAME mortar type damage. (All VERY Close, I should say)

It's all about combination of good units IMO. The Mortar just adds a good mid game, not so useful late game.
I agree. I think the mortar crew is fine the way it is. Their mid-game damage reflects their cost.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
That mortar upgrade is a counter to Bunkers (zombie grens).
You need to get that upgrade sacrifacing another upgrade (no red banner strelky or tunk hunters upgrade or T-34s 85mm gun) and then get a mortar.

The only thing that needs to be changed in the Soviet fraction are the ammo costs of upgrades in the armory (+50% of 1.11 prices, 75% of 1.04 prices).
PPSH strelky, Tank hunter blobs and upgraded mortars wont be an early game problem then.