Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front News #26.11.2010  (Read 15629 times)

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front New #26.11.2010
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
Since conscripts and such generally weren't trained to handle said weapons, it would make a lot of sense if they wouldn't be able to wield them as effectively as their original owners might have (Russian weapons inspectors who inspected captured MG42s and labeled them as 'mechanically unreliable' and 'prone to breakage and jamming' actually forgot to factor in the general lack of experience/training, the negligent maintenance of the equipment and the abuse/misuse of such by the new users).

All things said, this is a very welcome change indeed... finally we can petition for infantry guns, towed Maxims and HMG34s  :D

You know, in terms of historical accuracy, which you seem to like to take as an example, volksgrenadiers were no soldiers at all (kids from 15 y.o. and old sandbags in fact), still they are quite decent in taking out US basic infantry (which, in fact, received some serious military training).
By the way, the high edge of the SU of the pre-WW2 time was that basic military training (shooting ranges, sharpshooter sections, regular mobilizations of all males of conscription age to warcamps etc.) was received by wide masses of the population. In fact the weak spot of the SU army of the time was not the puny quality of manforce, but the lack of junior officers, due to massive executions in the army in '37, and the lack of equipment, due to the mass rearmament going about, and the tremendous losses of techniques and personal firearms in the first 3-4 months of war (infamous blitzkrieg).
So there is no need to think about privates of soviet army, as if they were some savages, who just went down from trees. Though the propaganda (the fascist one at the time of war, and the western one nowadays) states so.
Finally, I wish to state, that balance (which surely needs to be there) should be achieved by some other means, instead of turning soviets into stupid meatbags, knowing nothing about firearms and easy to kill just by pointing a finger at them.

Addon:
Soviet weapons inspectors who inspected captured MG42s and labeled them as 'mechanically unreliable' and 'prone to breakage and jamming'

These weapons were, actually, what they were called, in comparison to those, used by the soviet army. You see, every weapon has it's advantages and disadvantages, just like american m16 is, in fact, less reliable, has less penetration ability, and is more inclined to jamming than soviet ak 47, 'though it (m16) is more accurate at middle-long ranges.
By that said, I don't mean to argue on the hight quality of german firearms of the time, but simply point out, that soviet inspectors did note it's disadvantages correctly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:50:51 AM by IJoe »

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »
[...]
How about putting in severe penalties (accuracy? damage?) for Sovs who re-crew/capture axis weapons? [...]
I like this idea.

All things said, this is a very welcome change indeed... finally we can petition for towed infantry guns, towed Maxim HMGs and HMG34s  :D
coughanimatorscough:(...

@IJoe
The thing is how do you want to balance capture weapons?
Conscripts shouldn't get that ability or conscripts should get it and have penalties? Those are the only choices... what would you choose? Did I miss a third one????
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
@blackbishop
How about that squad mancount idea (prev. that thread) of mine? Could it be the third one?

— forever.

Offline Desert_Fox

• Translator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
[...]
How about putting in severe penalties (accuracy? damage?) for Sovs who re-crew/capture axis weapons? [...]
I like this idea.

Me too  :)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »
@blackbishop
How about that squad mancount idea (prev. that thread) of mine? Could it be the third one?
I was going to say something about it in my previous post but I'm afraid I'm not SCAR coder, that's why i prayed that you didn't ask xD, honestly I don't know... throwing exception to Rizz or Dragon.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline revoluzer

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front News #26.11.2010
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
I support the idea of penalties for conscripts, but only for them, the others (Strelky, Guards,...) should recrew the weapons without penalties.

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:28 AM »
I support the idea of penalties for conscripts, but only for them, the others (Strelky, Guards,...) should recrew the weapons without penalties.

In that case, which, I hope, will not be the way Devs will approach the issue, they at least deserve some decent veterancy  instead (or to be more affected by the global upgrade: give 'em all rifles as well as molotovs)  since, taking into account the latest circumstances, it doesn't appear to me to be OP any more.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:40:10 AM by IJoe »

— forever.

Offline delmar77

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
UURRAAHHHHHH!!

PATCH 1.30 " Ultimatum Copernicus -De revolutionibus Recrew Bugs "
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Não se apresse em perdoar. A misericórdia também corrompe.
(Nelson Rodrigues)

Offline Copernicus

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
@delmar77:
That's the first thing in months which really made me laugh ;). Thanks!

Offline Werwolf

• Guard
  • "Vorwärts, Sturmsoldaten! Für Das Vaterland!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »

In that case, which, I hope, will not be the way Devs will approach the issue, they at least deserve some decent veterancy  instead (or to be more affected by the global upgrade: give 'em all rifles as well as molotovs)  since, taking into account the latest circumstances, it doesn't appear to me to be OP any more.
It'll be easier to stomach some accuracy penalties for re-crewing, rather than prolong the balancing process by constantly nerfing and tweaking each unit's stats one by one IMO.

A global upgrade for everyone? Hmm. Molotovs should either cost a few munitions points or have a long cooldown time to even things out a bit (they're pretty lethal incendiary explosives, after all). And they should probably come in at Vet 3 for non-elite infantry units such as conscripts and ingenery... That's just my suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:32:28 PM by Werwolf »

Wunderwaffen Doctrine: What technology created for us, we drive it towards the enemy.

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »
A global upgrade for everyone? Hmm. Molotovs should either cost a few munitions points or have a long cooldown time to even things out a bit (they're pretty lethal incendiary explosives, after all). And they should probably come in at Vet 3 for non-elite infantry units such as conscripts and ingenery... That's just my suggestion.

You've never played as a soviet, have you?  ???
Try doing it for a change,- you might come to know a lot of "new" details about EF.  ;)

— forever.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 07:08:12 AM »
To be honest I agree with IJoe. Molotovs are fine.

Conscripts don't have a chance of scaling without them.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
To be honest I agree with IJoe. Molotovs are fine.

Conscripts don't have a chance of scaling without them.
True. Their useless vs PE and a molotov is what they need vs Soldiers armor. Otherwise their free vet for PE.

Offline nico97one

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Ok now they can recrew, devs please, make a Maxim HMG mounted on wheels ! Like the Maxim 32 !

http://www.mis-arme.com/armes/Neutralisees/image/maxim1.jpg

Please !

Offline Desert_Fox

• Translator
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »
Ok now they can recrew, devs please, make a Maxim HMG mounted on wheels ! Like the Maxim 32 !

http://www.mis-arme.com/armes/Neutralisees/image/maxim1.jpg

Please !

Why? They need it? ;)