Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Ostheer Update 4: Schutzen War Camp  (Read 55834 times)

Offline Venoxxis

• Commissar
  • Keep cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Ostheer Update 4: Schutzen War Camp
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »

Panzerwerfer; Out of my view it is a motorised Nebelwerfer - or better - a motorised rocket thrower. Cant see a reason why such a weapon had to be e.g. only a doctrine unit...

The trenchs; Well. Trenchs are an historical tribute for the eastern front. Most people had just this german tank attacks in mind when they are thinking of eastern front. But it is fact that this "panzer fronts" were just a small part of the hole front line. Heeresgruppe Nord thought a "trench war" from 1941 till 1944. Heeresgruppe Mitte had dug in from 1942 till 1944...So why NOT trenches?
Cant see any problem (and with flame-thrower and molotov cockail they should be easy to clean).

One point i dont understand is your comparison of Ostheer and red army.
Out of my view red army had this "upgrades" for game balance. Ostheer use its unit pool for gameplay, game tactics and game stil. On the paper they look equal but in function and mechanic they are so diffrent.

Alright, if it works like a nebelwerfer, its a great idea. I remembered it from other mods, which made it katyusha like. That wouldnt fit after all.

Treches are historically correct. But for gamplays&feeling, it is the best way to keep the trenches british.

Surely the reason why the 2 concepts became similiar are not your fault Lord Rommel. Your concept was a solid stand alone. And at that time the soviets concept was a completely different one. But the soviet update made their concept at leat a bit similiar to yours ;)

Anyways, nice to see you!

Offline Xantor

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
Great update guys, I hope to see Ostheer soon:)

Killar

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
Great update guys!

Wonder how tough will the luchs be? armor type like t90?

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
nice update.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline delmar77

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:25 PM »
Brazilian Greetings!

ABOUT Trench

Eastern Army is strong early game, fast and skilled
 late game is more defensive and "weak. " ex  Trenches, Turrent Panter and lots mines....half price mines? :)

AND

Without price of units, without criticism .. PLEASE!
Let's hope the entire package to review!
PS: Sexy Panzer II:)  - Hans los los! Tank hunters in my Neck!
ps2: Philosophy East Army  is GIMME THE PRICE

ps3: sorry my bad bad english
Não se apresse em perdoar. A misericórdia também corrompe.
(Nelson Rodrigues)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
Panzerwerfer 42 = bye, bye soviet blob. :D Btw, I wouldn't say what's OP or UP until I see it ingame. And blackbishop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile !!! Sorry, but that annoyed me, beasides its a neat update! :D
lol... sorry about it, i know was projectile, but in spanish is proyectil(like project -> proyecto) xD. Fixed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:31:58 PM by blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Analpirat

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:03 PM »
Quote from: Lord Rommel link=topic=5011.msg54919#msg54919
The trenchs; Well. Trenchs are an historical tribute for the eastern front. Most people had just this german tank attacks in mind when they are thinking of eastern front. But it is fact that this "panzer fronts" were just a small part of the hole front line. Heeresgruppe Nord thought a "trench war" from 1941 till 1944. Heeresgruppe Mitte had dug in from 1942 till 1944...So why NOT trenches?
Cant see any problem (and with flame-thrower and molotov cockail they should be easy to clean).
First of all it'd be helpful to establish what trenches we're talking about. Are we talking the plain british trenches the soviets also use?

Because that would be -in my opinion- not very original. My problem with the British trenches is how they work: They are a free building with 360 degree field of fire and providing better boni than building-type cover. While I feel that they are somewhat necessary for the current British faction, I feel that in general they're somewhat lame because they don't really have a downside as they can be easily deleted.

Also, it just looks a bit copy&paste-ish if EF uses the British trench for both the factions it has added.

If, on the other hand, you would make the trenches similar to what you can find in some of the beach maps like pointe du hoc for example, I think it would be far more original and also less problematic balance wise.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:33:57 PM by blackbishop »

pariah

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
Yeah, maybe have something like the single-sided heavy cover of the map trenches? I'm not sure how you could make that buildable, though...

Offline Panzer4life

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
I like most of the ideas, but lets think about this people. Since you can only choose between the Strum pioneers/inf halftrack and the 75mm AT/ support gun, you must choose what you want based on what you need. So this isn't OP. Plus when you upgrade the Strum pioneers to fortress pioneers, they can't sprint, and they only gain the ability to build trenches and Goliath bombs, which many people don't like.
   So, let the developers do as they please, that is why there will be beta testers, to test out the kinks. Also, if you donate $15.00 or more, you can become a beta tester, just a reminder.
No one can stop the German panzer divisions.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
Yeah, maybe have something like the single-sided heavy cover of the map trenches? I'm not sure how you could make that buildable, though...

It's entirely possible, it would require a model but it also would require somebody with a lot of knowledge of Object Editor... these are people we lack at the moment.

Personally, I've never been a fan of trenches... but it's up to our faction designers and balancers to decide.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
It's not like is too late to change it ::).
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline nico97one

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 12:30:08 AM »
Just a question, can you make the skins a little bit "dirty" because I hate US; CW; PE; Wehr; skins which are, I think, way too clean ...
Nice job for the Panzer II, I love it !

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:47 AM »
Just because it hasn't been played yet doesn't mean it can't be seen as OP yet. As described currently, OH gets one non-doctrinal unit with dual flamers and the ability to construct trenches. In the SU, this requires command point powers from two separate doctrines. Brits can't get flamers at all. In fact, Brits cannot reliably counter their own trenches so spamming them all over the map is a bad idea. OH will be able to spam them everywhere and just clear them out with mega flamers. Against the Brits, there will be no reason to build other units because Brits are weak to flames and cannot counter trenches outside of commando doctrine (riflenades are too inaccurate).

Historically correct or not, OH should never be allowed to build trenches. They destroy gameplay. The other units sound fine so far but Sturmpios have far too many positives, it doesn't even matter how much they cost.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:39 AM »

It's entirely possible, it would require a model but it also would require somebody with a lot of knowledge of Object Editor... these are people we lack at the moment.

Personally, I've never been a fan of trenches... but it's up to our faction designers and balancers to decide.

I have an idea:
Heavy Cover ( really stupid name, I know) - cost some manpower, but has two tasks - to grant somr cover to infantry and block light vehicles. Buildble same as old-style PE Roadbloks ( I mean those big ones, not those small builded in line)
And this took me about 1 minute ( plus 1 to load World builder)\

How do you like it?

EDIT: I forgot to write that it's ungarnisonable. Works like sandbags.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 02:32:03 AM by cephalos »

Offline 2LTAndeh

• Ingenery
  • La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »
Looks amazing so far, and I'm really liking the different unit pools. Personally I have no problem with the ability to build trenches as digging a hole in the earth for cover doesn't seem like such a peculiar thing as to only be used by the British or Russians. As far as modeling one goes, it seems unnecessary to make a completely different one for it being a simple thing and besides, I think we'll be preoccupied using the new units to not care too much how our trenches look.