Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Don't think Panzer II is a good idea  (Read 5491 times)

Offline e22big

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Don't think Panzer II is a good idea
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
I disagree with what the idea of using Panzer II for a light recon unit.

The Panzer is a tank, a simple reason. The model itself already show the Panzer in a well armed and armor fashion, I don't think it is reasonable if this car is to be shot down by simple rifleman. Even the Stuart is capable of withstand the infantry fire, save it for the AT unit, it will be very weird if the unit like Stuart are to be shot down like a halftrack.

Plus, in 1942 most of the Panzer II were already removed from front line service and their production stopped in 1943, I don't thik it relevant to put it in the eastern front theater.

In stead of this, I think we should look for a lighter vehicle to fit the light recon role. Suggestion would be the   "Volkswagen Kübelwagen"
, a German counterpart of Jeep. You can fit it with some heavy weapon to match the role Panzer II in the previous post, or simply use it like a Schwimmwagen. I think that will make a game more reasonable and historically accurated.

attached is a pic of the jeep I talk about

Thanks

Offline Desert_Fox

• Translator
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Don't think Panzer II is a good idea
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
Hotchkiss is a tank but you don't use it against other enemy tanks...same for the Stuart, T-70, T-90 etc...
It's a fast light recon units that can support infantry.

Anyway, Luchs is different by Panzer II  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:29:01 PM by Moonwalker »

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
Perhaps u should inform u about the background of the Panzer II Ausf. L ;) It was designed as an recon tank. Light, fast and armed with a "Maschinenkanone" it was a good tank for recon missions behind enemy's linens.
Furthermore i cant remember that we had present u stats about the models so who said that this tank can be shot like a half track?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:30:30 PM by Lord Rommel »
May the force be with you.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
Furthermore, Wehr halftracks are actually very resistant to rifle fire. Not that the devs have EVER stated the stats that the PII will have.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
it might be invunerable to rifle fire  ::) ...

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:02:13 AM »
Furthermore, Wehr halftracks are actually very resistant to rifle fire. Not that the devs have EVER stated the stats that the PII will have.
I doubt that PzIIL will have a halftrack armor cause Stuarts/Stags/T-70 will destroy it too quickly. Puma or Stuart armor is the only real choice. IMO Pumas armor (evasion bonus) is better.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:59 AM »
I think that stuart armour is crap. I agree it will likely be puma or M8 armour for a dodge bonus.

I only said the thing about halftrack armour because of what the OP mentioned.

Offline e22big

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
Well, I would strongly agree if the Panzer II will have the same armor as Puma, at least and yes, I didn't see the stat of this Panzer but judge from the fact that it is a light recon vehicle and " aren't meant to fight by themselves because aren't so tough.", I assume that the unit will be deploy at the earlier stage of the game, thus unlikely to be armed in the same fashion of Stuart or other light tank.

(imagine the Puma rolled the road like a Schwimmwagen, and Heavier Schwimmwagen at the time of Stuart doesn't make sense)

That is why I suggested that if we're to look for light recon unit it rather be a looking-light one like a jeep..

But again if this Panzer II will take the role of Greyhound Iwould have no problem.

Offline Troynl

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
pherhaps the panzer 2 will be the strongest recon tank of all the races, but thats not a problem because the ostheer doesn't have a realy strong medium tank (the panzer 3)

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
I actually think that the Pz2 will be quite weak. Its only advantage would be that it has quite a bit of health and might have Puma Armor. It uses a 20mm auto-cannon, so it shouldn't be able to penetrate the Stuart frontal armor, nor the M8 w/ Skirts. T17 would be plain death to it.

I always wondered but what armor does the Hotchkiss use??? We can probably use the same for the Luchs.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 04:32:02 AM »
Unupgunned hotchkiss is identical to stuart in every way. So it has stuart armour (part of the reason it's shit).

Offline PanzerWilly

• Donor
  • Strelky
  • Fresh meat into the Fray!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »
I don't think Panzer II fitted the light recon category, its a heavy recon vehicle with a decent armor and the auto-cannon give it a more potent capability against Ally vehicle, remember that Ostheer have to stand on its own if anyone played in a 1 on 1 battle. I've played lots of match and they never build those armored cars or light tanks,(I've seen Stuarts but thats about it, never see a greyhound, maybe Axis player are no longer dumb enough to leave their Stug IV flank unprotected & Panzer IV f is on the proud) as Panzer Elite build half-track or Werhmacht build Puma, its more popular for axis player to build Tier 2 or 2.5 vehicle than to allies, which just spam infantry and AT guns or infantry. I've win a few match with nothing but Infantry Halftrack cause my opponent just spam infantry like AI........ :-\ So its necessary for Ostheer to have at least one heavy recon vehicle that can prevent infantry blob, and my personal choice is with the Panzer II, which maybe with Puma Armor and dodge bonuses.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:00:13 PM by PanzerWilly »

Offline Hendrik 'DarcReaver' S.

• Administrator
  • ...Fear my Arty...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
I don't think Panzer II fitted the light recon category, its a heavy recon vehicle with a decent armor and the auto-cannon give it a more potent capability against Ally vehicle, remember that Ostheer have to stand on its own if anyone played in a 1 on 1 battle. I've played lots of match and they never build those armored cars or light tanks,(I've seen Stuarts but thats about it, never see a greyhound, maybe Axis player are no longer dumb enough to leave their Stug IV flank unprotected & Panzer IV f is on the proud) as Panzer Elite build half-track or Werhmacht build Puma, its more popular for axis player to build Tier 2 or 2.5 vehicle than to allies, which just spam infantry and AT guns or infantry. I've win a few match with nothing but Infantry Halftrack cause my opponent just spam infantry like AI........ :-\ So its necessary for Ostheer to have at least one heavy recon vehicle that can prevent infantry blob, and my personal choice is with the Panzer II, which maybe with Puma Armor and dodge bonuses.

Fast M8/M3 Quad is crucial for US. vs. PE, especially in 1on1. I think the Panzer II is quite a nice idea to implement as some form of early vehicle. I also think that inf blob is not as hard of a problem if the Ostheer gets enough infantry-based AI weapons (like smgs, mortars etc)

It also seems like their "mortar" is quite devastating against infantry.

The PE AC for example, is not tough at all, still its sufficient for dealing with infantry threads just as well as a Puma.

Abuse is abuse and has to go.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 09:03:04 AM »
I'd rather have the puma it isnt penetrated by a strong breeze  :P
Soviet is OP