Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: German voices?  (Read 12157 times)

pariah

Re: German voices?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
I dunno... Wouldn't you have to ask the Blitzkrieg developer for permission first? :-\

Killar

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:57 PM »
hmm would be a hell of a work to search for the fitting files. The sounds in vcoh are unit associated. Schwimmwagen - swim, hotchkiss - frog ...
perhaps for own sound mod.

youtube is a good source too!

I dunno... Wouldn't you have to ask the Blitzkrieg developer for permission first? :-\

right!

Offline Dzierzan

• Translator
  • Commissar
  • I am the king of second bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
You have right guys, bad idea.  :-[

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Well, we'd be happy if the community was to do something like this, but remember, we'd want quality... we don't want it to sound like a 14 year old doing crappy Russian impressions in his bedroom.

BTW, this might help so you can listen to Relic's ingame sounds yourself and get an idea of what we'd be looking for for each and every sound -

http://www.mediafire.com/?8dv3d78sshyhvmi

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:13 AM »
Sweet! By those word from BurroDiablo I have decided to actually take my part in this holyquest! : D Lets see. Iam going to have to train on my german accent.

And btw dont worry . As I wrote I got the proper recording equipment and actually got kind of a bas voice according to my friends XD Iam thinking about a voice for the Marder II.

If its onething I love about COH its those funny details in the game. For exampel units complaining about having to sit on these shells all day ( Hummel) .

So I was thinking about the Marder II complaining about its weak armour and lack of roof and etc XD. Ofc it aint only complaining the unit will have to talk about XD It will be moving commands and attack and halt and taking fire etc ^^.

Remember! This is nothing offical just a fun thingy that maybe in the end will help our great modteam! :D This means if you do a voicecover for exampel the Brummbär and made its attack voice command to be : DEATH TO THE FILTHY JEWS or something really stupid they have ALL the rights in the world to DO NOT LIKE and cut/edit that voicefile. (Am I wrong if I sadly laughed a bit imagning that picture XD)

In short. We ordinary humans are in no command of deciding what to be included with the voices or not. And your voice (not even mine) are guaranteed to take part in the game.

So. With that written we dont have to have 14 pages of 14 year COD kids crying about why there voice should be for the Red guards ^^.

Come on kids! Lets join the voiceacting party! :D

(Iam really sorry for my grotesc english gramma. Iam a big time Dyslexia nerd XD)

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 03:29:30 AM »
Talk about how the rain gets in for stormy maps. In case you didn't know, some sound sets are only active in stormy weather.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
Yeah thats true! Thanks Dennis! :D I know Panzergrenadiers are so though and hardcore so they are like

- Raining? What raining? ^^

Thanks for the tip!

Iam thinking about making an little easteregg into the voiceacting. Its like you know sometimes when you zoom into soldiers with no activity. Just hanging around. You can hear them small talk.
 Its something asking the other ones about if they have heard the joke with an officer and a pig I think? And one talks about that he has a tractor back home I think XD

However. The easteregg would be something about the unit woundering why 2/3 parts of the army speaks english.

Based on the facts that both Wehrmacht and Panzer elit speaks english :P

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
What i had to say about this "new voices":
Out of my view a german or an english voice actor should make new "english-german ingame sounds".

Problem is the dialect.
Nothing against foreign people but german accent is quiet!!! heavy.
We had a so much different accents here e.g. my town had a different accent and dialect from the next towns around!

So out of my view it is absolutely impossible for a second-language speaker to act like a german speaker.
U need the feeling for the language to make such a voice acting.
And when u have the aim to get sounds like Relic had u will need german voice actors for english with german accent or english voice actors who had learn a bit german to interpret their mother tongue in a "german way".

So i hope Sommakatze u are a "real Kraut" or a tommy who had learned german ^^
Otherwise i'm afraid that the result wont be in an ingame quality on the base of CoH-like voice acting.
May the force be with you.

pariah

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »
I believe Sommarkatze is Swedish. ;)

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
What i had to say about this "new voices":
Out of my view a german or an english voice actor should make new "english-german ingame sounds".

Problem is the dialect.
Nothing against foreign people but german accent is quiet!!! heavy.
We had a so much different accents here e.g. my town had a different accent and dialect from the next towns around!

So out of my view it is absolutely impossible for a second-language speaker to act like a german speaker.
U need the feeling for the language to make such a voice acting.
And when u have the aim to get sounds like Relic had u will need german voice actors for english with german accent or english voice actors who had learn a bit german to interpret their mother tongue in a "german way".

So i hope Sommakatze u are a "real Kraut" or a tommy who had learned german ^^
Otherwise i'm afraid that the result wont be in an ingame quality on the base of CoH-like voice acting.

You're looking into this way too much, stuff like 'Is that the correct German dialect?' won't even come to mind for the average English speaking player. :P

Dialect is only a problem for native speakers. It's much easier for Native speakers to pick out dialect than it is for a non-native speaker. I can tell you the difference between Newcastle and Manchester, but not Berlin and Munich... i'm sure you could do the other way around :P

When Americans try to do Scottish dialect, it usually come out as Irish.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:53:15 PM by BurroDiablo »

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »
You are not supposed to provide an accurate translation. What the devs would be looking for, if you have a look at what CoH itself is like, is a goofy but professional dubbing.

In CoH, you have German soldiers saying things like "Ja, commander!" They mix properly spoken English with a few selected German words to make it sound a bit foreign, in a rather cartoonish way. So if you want to give English voices to the Soviets, what you need is an American/British English-speaker that can provide comments and voices, and a Russian English-speaker that can provide funny, silly-stereotypical idioms and words to mix in with the dialogue, as well as cultural references (although anyone who has read Antony Beevor can provide a few of those, no problem).

pariah

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
You're looking into this way too much, stuff like 'Is that the correct German dialect?' won't even come to mind for the average English speaking player. :P

Fun Fact: There are actually Germans who play Eastern Front. ;)

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »
Yeah Iam Swedish XD But Iam part German heh ^^. (Fun fact is that I got swedish relatives service with the germans during both ww1 and ww2 XD)

These are however no argument at all for my german to be good XD I understand you to 100% lord Rommel. If I were fully german I would find it rather annoying with voices who didnt speak proper germany XD

I will do my best however and show you guys later :D If we are lucky. Its something you like ^^ A little bit like Idol :P

I still want to encourage other people though to try out some voiceacting! : D Yippie!^^

Thats right Saavedra ! But I think it was decided that Ostheer would speak German and not the awesome typicall indiana jones english nazi german :P

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:48 PM »
Indeed. It can be a little community project, people should get involved.

We'd want Russian voices too. I miss battlechatter when playing the Soviets... I noticed they don't have any.

Fun Fact: There are actually Germans who play Eastern Front. ;)

With the Germans speaking English? Seems a little redundant :P

German speakers will most probably use the German sounds files done by actual German actors in the German language. For me, having a native German speaker play the game using the English translation sound files for a German faction just seems pointless and therefor correct dialect doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:35:16 PM by BurroDiablo »

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
Well...a small localisation problem, hä ;)
When EF will use "own voices" just for english language settings half of the community will start crying  ;D
May the force be with you.