Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: WW2 Warfare Discussion thread  (Read 52292 times)

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Warfare Discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
I did not know where write so has wrote here. Has Seen on picture tank IS-3. This mistake. The First party these tank was released at the last days of the war in 1945 and participation in battles he did not take. He never met with german. Never!
Who cares. They are great Ingame
as silly as it is, i understand why, the is-3 is a thorn in the side of any axis player
so they have, and will continue, to complain about anything seen as a credible threat
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:49:18 AM by RedGuard »
Soviet is OP

Offline Sovereign

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Getting back to the topic at hand...

Anyone have an actual documented account of the vampir(stg44 modified etc) weapons used in particular night fighting skirmishes that happened near the end of WW2..?

Been trying to ascertain credible accounts of these engagements.   

TS3 2.0: ts55.gameservers.com:9374

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 06:21:03 AM »
So the Fedorov Avtomat was the granddaddy of the Stg44 which is the granddaddy of the AK-47 which is the granddaddy of almost all modern assault rifles. Did i get it right?

its a shaky theory, a very debatable one. but im sure theres at least some truth to that analogy. countrys tend to copy/reproduce and improve on one anothers military advances/technologys, and then they tend to deny that they have done so. so what you believe is open to interpretation
Soviet is OP

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
Not so shaky Tovarich. THe Fedorov used a rifle cartridge, (japanese to boot). THe THompson, M3, MP40 etc all used pistol ammunition, (optimized fo r25-50m range), and are referred to as SMGs or Machine Pistols. The SGT44 and subsequently the AK47 utilized specially designed rifle cartridges optimized for a range of < 300m. Fedorov did this too but the production economics of his cartridge were unacceptable to the Romanovs. An assault rifle fires rifle cartridges.

From the designer himself:
The AK-47 is best described as a hybrid of previous rifle technology  innovations: the trigger, double locking lugs and unlocking raceway of  the M1 Garand/M1 carbine, the safety mechanism of the John Browning designed Remington Model 8 rifle, and the gas system and layout of the Sturmgewehr 44. Kalashnikov's team had access to all of these weapons and had no need to "reinvent the wheel", though he denied that his design was based on the German Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle.  Kalashnikov himself observed: "A lot of [Soviet Army soldiers] ask me  how one can become a constructor, and how new weaponry is designed.  These are very difficult questions. Each designer seems to have his own  paths, his own successes and failures. But one thing is clear: before  attempting to create something new, it is vital to have a good  appreciation of everything that already exists in this field. I myself  have had many experiences confirming this to be so."
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline DrRockzo1986

• Donor
  • Guard
  • You're pretty good
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 02:01:35 AM »
Actually I believe 7.92x33 kurz and 7.62x39mm are refered to as Intermediate Cartridges
An Ocelot never lets his prey escape

image hosting jpeg

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 04:13:26 AM »
That's right Doc. ;) IIRC rifle cartridges are optimized for 1000m.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 05:53:44 AM »
The AK-47 is best described as a hybrid of previous rifle technology  innovations: the trigger, double locking lugs and unlocking raceway of  the M1 Garand/M1 carbine, the safety mechanism of the John Browning designed Remington Model 8 rifle, and the gas system and layout of the Sturmgewehr 44. Kalashnikov's team had access to all of these weapons and had no need to "reinvent the wheel", though he denied that his design was based on the German Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle.
So Kalashnikov had access to the Sturmgewehr 44 which by the sounds of it was an excellent weapon, made a weapon that looked like a Sturmgewehr 44 Jumbo and then denied that his design was based on the German Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifle.Sounds fishy to me.
In case I have offended someone please find it in your hearts to forgive me. And please don't ban me. I joined last week .:'(
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline DrRockzo1986

• Donor
  • Guard
  • You're pretty good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »
I always thought it was funny that in CoH the G43 and the SVT are really powerful rifles, but the M1 Garand (which is more or less the same thing) is mediocre at best.
An Ocelot never lets his prey escape

image hosting jpeg

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
I always thought it was funny that in CoH the G43 and the SVT are really powerful rifles, but the M1 Garand (which is more or less the same thing) is mediocre at best.
One Word: Balance
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:02 AM »
It's also about those who wield it remember. For example, the K98 is used by both volks and Stormtroopers but the K98s that Stormies use are much better than those that volks use. Strelky mosins>conscript mosins etc.

Also balance of course.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2011, 07:11:07 AM »
Unless you give M1 to a vet 3 Rifleman.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 10:46:37 AM »
I have a question about soviet sniper rifles(and possibly german sniper rifles too). Why is it tht in alot of WW2 movies they wrap cloth around it? In addition, some games have they're snipers wrapped n cloth. What is the purpose of this? Is it for camoflaugue? Does it make it more resilient to weather? Easier to carry? Someone enlighten me please :P.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Camo I would think. A rifle is a fairly easy to spot thing. Play any shooter and your eye will recognise the shape of a rifle from a mile away.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:20 AM »
I think the weapons are wrapped to prevent light from glinting off the piece thereby identifying the shooters location.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
兵 of
法 War

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 12:33:40 AM »
Questions about tank traps:

-How is it the Czech hedgehogs are so effective against tanks? Considering the weight of a tank, why cant it ram into it and push past? Why must it go around?

-Also, how did one get rid of tanks traps besides using demolitions? Was it effective?

-Are they still used today?

For those of you that don't know what Czech hedgehogs are they are the things that American engineers build called tank traps. Particularly on bridges ^^

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"