Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: List of Units that the Eastern Front will NOT ADD  (Read 24351 times)

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
List of Units that the Eastern Front will NOT ADD
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »
Hello everybody who is reading this topic. I would like to make a list of units that, as per the Devs own previous posts, and plain common sense, that will not be added to the factions in the Eastern Front mod.

Categorized by most frequently mentioned:

Soviet Units:

1) Soviet Mobile HMG: this unit, which has at many times been brought up and then rejected, is from most of the communities' knowledge, not needed in this mod, mainly because its is one of the Soviets weaknesses not to have an early suppression unit. If it will ever be included into the mod, it will most likely be a reward unit replacing the Heavy Mortar Team.

2) IS-4: This tank was not approved for mass-production until 1948 so the inclusion of this tank is impossible.

3)T-35: I do recall this being mentioned many times over on the Rewards forum. This tank wouldn't really fit in to the game base theory, its too slow and rumbling to be used in this game. The KV-2 obviously is faster and performs the exact same role, no need for 2 of a kind.

4)Attack Dogs/Explosive Dog-There are many reasons not to add these poor things as weapons. Firstly, it would be extremely hard to animate such movement as their are no units with similar movement in Vannila CoH, nor the World Builder. Second, PETA would would get pissy and truly why would you want to kill Man's Best Friend.So this is of limits.

5)Prototype tanks, mainly the URALMASH and T-100 prototypes. They were just prototypes, never really used in any form of prolonged combat, if they saw any combat at all.

6) Female Units- While I'm sure most of us would love to see ladies with guns killing Germans, this is one of those extremely large wastes of time. Their is no voice acting for Female units in the game, it is kinda hard to get women into the game without having them look like guys.

7) Soviet Transport units- Now while I'm very sure that most Soviet troops didn't arrive to the field of battle on foot, the Soviets certainly don't need transport units, this is one of their main weaknesses, and just another waste of time. So please no Studebaker transports, Soviet Halftracks, or having an upgrade for all tanks to transport Infantry.

8. Polish and other international units- No never for the following reasons: This is the SOVIET UNION army. Not the army of every other country who felt like fighting for it. The Devs have many more important things to add and adding Foreign units for this army will never occur.

Now Ostheer Units;

1) The Famous SUPER-HEAVY Tanks; Panzer VIII Maus, Panzer VII Löwe, P.1000 Ratte, P.1500 Monster, the Neubaufahrzeug, etc. All of these tanks were either not created, never saw any actual service on the Eastern Front or were in the early building phase. They didn't not see any Service against the Soviets and will not in anyway be included in this mod.

2)The E-series; These were just planned tanks and while the idea to create a standardized vehicular force would have been nice, this too, never existed outside of the drawing board.

3)Dora, Thor and other such Super Heavy Guns; these weapons of mass terror do not in any way fit into CoH, they are too big, too slow and too powerful, and just don't go along with the basic theory of this game.

4) Panther II- Just another planed upgrade, was just a prototype, not going to be included, because it never served on any front.

5) Sturmtiger- Never truly served on the Eastern Front. They fought during the Warsaw Uprising and on the Western Front not on the Eastern one though, so as Rommel would say WILL NOT BE INCLUDED.

6) Soldiers using the following small arms; StG45 (only tested prototypes on the Western Front), MG45 (which is justed a pimped out MG42, no need for 2 of a kind),Vampir Infrared Scope , experimental weaponry, etc.

7) POW or similar human shield unit- This is a fun game not a propaganda based historical recreation. While I'm sure that some SS members did in fact use human shields or human minesweepers, this is an act of Criminal Madness, not of war.

8.SS Troops-while the SS did in fact serve on all Fronts especially the Eastern Front, including them with such a blunt name is extremely insensitive to those who lost their lives, against the law in certain countries, and is just another thing this mod would like to avoid. Like Relic did with its Stormtroopers, the Modders will give them a representation but with a more discrete name.

9)ME-262- This plane is not representative of any front and if anything was used more against the Western Allies than the Comintern. Not going to be included even as a doctrinal recon plane.

10) Volkssturm-Volkssturm were basically the German equivalent of Conscripts, armed with just about anything they could find in stocks and in reserves. The Devs are against it because they don't want a carbon copy of a unit that already exists.

11) Nachtjager- We won't use it because the game doesn't really have any advantages for different periods of the day and weather conditions, so not going to happen. An extra day or two of designing a model for useless equipment can be wasted better for something that will be used.

12) Mass Graves- This also goes along with the SS troops, this is really something that shouldn't be included because this isn't a history lesson, nor is it legal to display in some countries (some would call this glorification). We aren't trying to make a propaganda film on why we took down the Nazis.....

Misc. Units/Ideas:

1) Control-able Aircraft- A basic no-no because they units in the game who can fight aircraft, do so terribly and this game is based more on Land Warfare than any other kind. 

2) Cavalry- While many of us here are aware that certain units in all armies participating in WW2 continued to use horses through the war, the Devs are hard-pressed to design a skin, skeleton and movement noises/animation for these units. The common belief that the Polish used large numbers of cavalry against the Germans at the start of the war is false, and they were formed due to German propaganda. So no.

I would like to ask the Devs if they could add any other things they can think of to this thread to help make a more complete list. Thank you very much for devoting attention to this.

Ok, here it is. The Official EF Unit Inclusion Chart!

[...]

Such a valuable use of my time! :P

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:12:11 AM by neosdark »

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
Re: List of Units that the Eastern Front will NOT ADD
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
You're forgetting Maus, Dora, explosive dogs; partialy incorrect about IS-3, as one of the devs said, they will include it, if some nice model will be found.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
partialy incorrect about IS-3, as one of the devs said, they will include it, if some nice model will be found.
I dunno joe you may be wrong, I think they're dead set against including IS-3 :(

Although i dont see the point in adding IS-3 anymore if everyones up in arms about IS-3 being able to slug it out with KT/jagP.
I dont want them to add the IS-3 just to add it and not give it the respect it deserves.

Quote from: Zerstorer
Ok, as this is getting ridiculous now, so I'm going to mention the following things and close the subject.

1) We have no IS3 model and have no current plans to make one

2)In case we did get hold of one, for one reason or another, it would be a better IS2 or a sexier Tiger1, but would still loose to a KT/Jagdpanther in a 1v1 fight. Because these are the German super tanks, the big bad wolves where you have to go the extra heroic mile to kill them...like killing the big bad boss at the end of a Half Life level. Anything else facing the IS3 would feel as weak as when you face a KT.
That's it, end of story

3)Super tanks are generally a bad idea and a pain to balance. If everyone has a couple then it stops it being a novelty any more. by super tanks I mean anything better than a Tiger1/Pershing

4) The above would happen, because I decide  what the stats will be for soviet vehicles and reward units
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:03:51 AM by REDcommissar »
Soviet is OP

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
You're forgetting Maus, Dora, explosive dogs; partialy incorrect about IS-3, as one of the devs said, they will include it, if some nice model will be found.

I do wonder if you read the entire post sometimes Joe, in the first paragraph, if you read it, you would notice that I specificly stated:

Hello everybody who is reading this topic. I would like to make a list of units that, as per the Devs own previous posts, and plain common sense, that will not be added to the Soviet faction in the Eastern Front mod.

I will however add the Dogs since that was indeed mentioned, thank you for reminding me.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
There are units that in game terms are impossible to fit in COH and get them to work in a reasonable fashion,without making the game look like C&C (aka collection of wierd looking units). Classic example being the Maus,IS4+ or T35.

Although I am a sucker for eye candy (hence why I do my best as an EF artist), its not really possible to add many units to a single coh faction without really messing it up in terms of balance and faction design.

Saying that, some models/units are too cool to pass, so on rare occasions we do make room for them.
Eg, SU85 was never meant to be in the original EF. But Mr Scruff got it built and animated which is why it was added. Same story with the T90...they were built,skinned,animated and available at the time.

My point being, that in truth there are few reasonable things we'd say absolutely 'NO' to and many things we'd find correct ways to include IF they ever became available.
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
That would be exactly why i added this thread, i want a definite list of units that will not in anyway be added, thank you for listening Zerstörer.

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:40:55 PM »
That would be exactly why i added this thread, i want a definite list of units that will not in anyway be added, thank you for listening Zerstörer.
Yeah, I've the entirety of your post, and my reply was more of a humorous rant, so I'm sorry if you got offended in any way. Don't be, since I've never meant anything of a kind.
Cheers!  ;)

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
Sorry to ya Joe, I was grumpy the morning i wrote that answer, so I do apologize if I offended you in turn.

Do you have any other things we can add to the list though? I really want an extensive one (well as extensive as it can get ;) .

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
 POWs, and Waffen-SS unit for example

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:16:02 AM »
Soviet units please, Maxi, this is in the Soviet section ;D

Offline Vrachov

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »
Heavy Bombers ?

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:12 AM »
Heavy Bombers ?

Well i'm not too sure what you mean by this. We don't really deploy Heavy Bombers do we? It would be doctrinal, so i'm not sure.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
the IL-2 before it got nerfed was kinda like a heavy bomber  ;D
Soviet is OP

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Soviet units please, Maxi, this is in the Soviet section ;D

Sorry, but when I saw German examples in the 1st post, I didn't think about it ;)

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:38:22 AM »
the IL-2 before it got nerfed was kinda like a heavy bomber  ;D

Ah i see what you mean, but thats really just a type of plane, there are no heavy bombers in this game anyway.

And Maxi all is forgiven. Although I should move this to the General Forum and add the Ostheer into the section. Just not sure how to do that