Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet tactic for stopping/destroying heavy tanks fast  (Read 6153 times)

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
  • Sgt Reznov"I think the Riechstag needs remodeling
    • View Profile
Soviet tactic for stopping/destroying heavy tanks fast
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
When Heavy Axis tanks start rolling through the front by that time soviet players should already have started mass production of armor too such as t34/86's and Is2's to counter pathers, hertzs, etc. But soviet players who have had a rough early game and dont have enough armor to stop the blitz of Axis armor, well conscripts are way to go. Yes, conscripts.

When the Axis are on the move and are headed for your base for final blow to stop u from recovering fast enough to get in the game ,this is what u do (u need petrol bombs for this to WORK in any way). This will cost much manpower but if u can't build tanks at this time of game u obviously dont have enough fuel so manpower is your game saving resource now.

U build 4 to 5 conscript squads plus with your comand squad this depends on the axis armor group two conscript squads for each tank or a conscript and your comand squad same thing, what I've seen is that petrol bombs have a burning effect on tanks! But wouldnt the tank just drive away, no it won't because it can't.

When u throw 1 petrol bomb on a tank it's burns the engine slowly but if u throw 2 it damages the engine and we've all seen how fast a tiger goes with a damaged engine u throw 3 destroyed engine and the tank's health goes  down to a half with 3 petrol bombs under it and that's for a panther! Not only have u hurt the their tanks badly u stopped their whole advance and if u have any reserve armor send them in to finish them... this tactic is very effective.

I played as the wehrmacht in one of my recent EF games Orel, I lost 2 Panzer IV, 3 panthers, and 2 tigers just to this tactic alone. It wasn't because of bad micro it was because of 3 petrol bombs at once destroying my engines and my tank just sitting there burning.

I never have lost that much Axis armor to infantry, but the worst part was because my panthers were being owned by conscriptes. If anyone has a Q or more information on this tactic please post  :)  :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:58:54 AM by blackbishop »
This game is balanced in everyway. Every Army has its strengths and weaknesses and you use your strengths to attack the enemy's weakness. If both players know this,than it turns into a game of skill.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet tactic for stopping/destroying heavy tanks fast
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Added some rudimentary formatting to your post buddy. Sorry to modify it but previously was just a wall of text.

Just that molotovs were "nerfed" for the next patch so, this tip could be applied before the next patch rolls out :).

When Heavy Axis tanks start rolling through the front by that time soviet players should already have started mass production of armor too such as t34/86's and Is2's to counter pathers ,hertzs, etc. But soviet players who have had a rough early game and dont have enough armor to stop the blitz of Axis armor , well conscripts are way to go. Yes conscripts. When the Axis are on the move and are headed for your base for final blow to stop u from recovering fast enough to get in the game ,this is what u do.(u need petrol bombs for this to WORK in any way)This will cost much manpower but if u can't build tanks at this time of game u obviously dont have enough fuel so manpower is your game saving resource now.U build 4 to 5 conscript squads plus with your comand squad this depends on the axis armor group two conscript squads for each tank or a conscript and your comand squad same thing, what I've seen is that petrol bombs have a burning effect on tanks!but wouldnt the tank just drive away,no it won't because it can't.when u throw 1 petrol bomb on a tank it's burns the engine slowly but if u throw 2 it damages the engine and we've all seen how fast a tiger goes with a damaged engine u throw 3 destroyed engine and the tank's health goes to down to a half with 3 petrol bombs under it and that's for a panther! Not only have u hurt the tanks badly u stopped their whole advance and if u have any reserve armor send them in to finish them.this tactic is very effective.I played as the wehrmacht in one of my recent EF games Orel , I lost 2 Panzer 4,3 panthers, and 2 tigers just to this tactic alone. It wasn't because of bad micro it was because of 3 petrol bombs at once destroying my engines and just sitting there burning.I never have lost that much to infantry ,but the worst part was because my panthers were being owned by conscriptes.If any has a Q or more information on this tactic please post  :)  :)
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »
Thank u for fixing I'm also glad I got more info on the ostheer patch , also thanks for nerfing the moltovs I was a litte confused about that but I hope this post helps people. I'm new to coh modding community but I have seen many of your posts bishop you are part of the dev team right? O and how do u fix the wall of text thing because your probably fixing this reply right now and I don't want to be wasting your time when u could be working on ostheer ;D
This game is balanced in everyway. Every Army has its strengths and weaknesses and you use your strengths to attack the enemy's weakness. If both players know this,than it turns into a game of skill.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »
OMG, what veterancy would conscripts get after killing Panther??

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
You would probably get lvl 3 vet. A stug sometimes gets my units to lvl 1 or 2 so a panther would probaby get you to lvl 3.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:17:03 PM by Fishhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
Panthers provide 16xp when killed. Conscript vet requirements are (in 1.4) 8/16/24. So a Panther kill will level the conscripts to vet 2 if it's their only kill.

Bishop is community manager for the dev team, posting help and moderating on EF.org (here) and moddb.com. He is also our coder for the balance team while the rest of the team focuses on Ostheer. He's doing a great job btw :P.

To prevent your wall of text, divide your post up into paragraphs. A paragraph should contain a few sentences of connected ideas. For example, in this post I started with a paragraph on conscript experience values (2 sentences), then a paragraph about Bishop (3 sentences) and finally a paragraph on grammar (3 so far). If a paragraph or post is made up of more than six to eight sentences that aren't broken up by spaces, it is probably too much and becomes hard to read. Make good use of the enter (or return) key in future.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »
@ GLD: hey mate! You posted vet3=24 requirements for conscripts. I thought it was 32 for v1.4.0. I suspect the vet3 requirements for the internal version are as you say, but you all should try to be more circumspect when dealing the the unwashed masses, (IE the rest of us). It gets very confusing. Version tags?

@FOXYJAGER: In v1.4.0 the Conscript tactics, (or GDs or NI for that matter), are an effective way to slow an armored advance. They will be much less effective however if the Panzers have proper Combat Support. A VG/MP40 squad and a Pio, or other CS methods), will go a long way to preserve your Panthers.

@BlackBishop: Other forums have a Grammar Check Fcn for posting. Does Simple_Machines have a similar function?
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
I just checked corsix for the vet data on conscripts. The 24xp is correct as of EF 1.4. Conscripts don't have vet at all in our beta version and it's very probable this will be the case for the next patch.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
thx Dennis for telling me this, it was hard to read but I was doing this post on my ipod so i wasn't thinking much about grammer but more on getting it done.

Otto 213 yes supporting units would do alot for the panthers and we did have some stormies and PGs with them but it only takes one man to throw the molotovs so its hard to kill 50 conscripts fast enough when only 5 random ones throw bombs. then we were screwed when they brought in 3 Is2s.but that whole problem was solved when my ally brought his Jagepanther and i brought my tiger  ;D.Yes this tactic works better for an alone tank or a force that is just armor.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
If you are having to deal with blobs of infantry a mortar in combat support will suppress many.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
thx otto 213 but I was not aware of this tactic as much in till I started to see that my tiger expoled into flames in front of an early game inf blob. When I saw a blob of conscriptes and strelky i though no AT effectiveness here, GG for the Soviets ;D.this should have been  easy kills for my panthers but those damn petrol bombs , we did manage to win that game though. This tactic will be obsolete anyway now that i know that petrol bombs will be nerfed in the ostheer patch.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
Pls dont remove conscript Vet.
it will make them useless...
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline Alexander 'ApeMen' J.

• Global Moderator
  • Against Jabba and what he has done!
    • View Profile
    • The StarWars Rap :D
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25:13 PM »
instead of vet conscripts get another change so i dont think vet changes are necessary

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 11:59:26 PM »
plz remove conscript vet we want them to be useless!!!! ;D

Oh for fucks sake red I think you're LOOKING for another suspension...
"Balancers are 10 a penny"