Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Soviet Medical Truck  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Soviet Medical Truck
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
I think the medic truck would be better if you could only retreat to it while it was set up, and if it could not be set up in the enemy's base sector. That would prevent retreating into the enemy's base. Or if the idea of a secondary retreat point was abandoned altogether. I mean, isn't gimmicky retreat options one of the reasons people dislike the British and see it as outside the regular CoH style? Seems like the sovs already have enough ways to break/avoid suppression.

You shouldn't be able to retreat to the truck when it is not set up.

Getting the truck inside an enemy base is like suicide. Providing you don't run into any kind of enemy on the way to the base, you'll end up getting hit by base MGs or the Flaks, which will rip the truck apart. And if you manage to make it through, any small arms fire would be able to finish it off. If your troops are retreating to it and it dies, they stop dead cold.

Quite frankly, it sounds like the dumbest strategy and waste of resources I ever heard...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:10:06 PM by Cranialwizard »
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »

You shouldn't be able to retreat to the truck when it is not set up.

Getting the truck inside an enemy base is like suicide. Providing you don't run into any kind of enemy on the way to the base, you'll end up getting hit by base MGs or the Flaks, which will rip the truck apart. And if you manage to make it through, any small arms fire would be able to finish it off. If your troops are retreating to it and it dies, they stop dead cold.
QFT

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 10:59:01 PM »
Thats quite large isn't it stealth ;).

I think the more common way to use truck retreat would be to have it move past a MG and soldiers retreat to it. Not necessarily a base

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »
Thats quite large isn't it stealth ;).

I think the more common way to use truck retreat would be to have it move past a MG and soldiers retreat to it. Not necessarily a base

Still risky. Even if it's locked down or not it'll take great damage from the MG and any supporting infantry. Besides, most troops have a retreat cooldown to prevent this (IE the ability has to recharge after you set the truck up)
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »
Isn't the 1 min cooldown a bit too long?
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
Isn't the 1 min cooldown a bit too long?

What has 1min cool down ???. The longest cool dowm I've seen is the Nashhorn :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 12:13:23 PM »
When you get the truck out, you get a ! min cooldown on the Retreat to Medical Truck button.
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline Charliedog123

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
I didn't know there is a retreat to medic truck button??

Offline 777mais777

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Make it like an Ami or Wher OP. Can only be used in friendly, connected terriotory. And only rally to it when its deployed
Than it then will differ from other medical structures? ???

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »
I didn't know there is a retreat to medic truck button??

Once you buy the medic truck, all SU soldier can retreat to medic truck, just like brits retreat to Captain :P.

Make it like an Ami or Wher OP. Can only be used in friendly, connected terriotory. And only rally to it when its deployed
Than it then will differ from other medical structures? ???

Honestly Im not sure what you're saying :'(. Someone plz elaborate :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Joshua9

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
I used to hate this truck as wehr, because it seemed a little too effective.  On the other side of things I can see just how necessary it can be for russian infantry to not get absolutely decimated by stukas.  I do feel like the rinse and repeat cool-down is a little low(seems to cycle faster than the retreat to captain cool-down -but I could be wrong about that), and without trying it yet, I have worried that a blitz to the back of a base and retreat to truck with 4 upgraded tank hunter squads could take down an HQ in seconds.  I'm not sure how much damage that truck eats from base mg fire, so that may make it an impractical tactic as stated by others in this thread, but I still think that the ability should probably be disabled for the enemy base sector if possible.

I'd rather not start another thread to mention one more concern I have about the current state of the russian firebase.  This is another tool that I've grown to understand the utter necessity of as a russian player confronting a dug in heavy t1-t2 build, but whether I'm using it or its being used against me, this thing just seems way too good.  Its one drawback is that it isn't a focused answer to any specific point(random as shit), but it always hits something somewhere, usually decimating a whole squad, so often...its pretty amazing. 

That in itself is fine, it's what makes it good(although I would say hard to anticipate and play against as your enemy), but it gets to do this from the safety of the base, because its range is just too long.  There should be some risk to building this unit.   if it gets a few shots off its going to pay for itself in spades...seems like it should at least be more vulnerable to raids. 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:20:56 PM by Joshua9 »

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
apperently you have been playing against experienced soviet players. sometimes i see that people dont even build that unit.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Chancellor

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
I'd rather not start another thread to mention one more concern I have about the current state of the russian firebase.  This is another tool that I've grown to understand the utter necessity of as a russian player confronting a dug in heavy t1-t2 build, but whether I'm using it or its being used against me, this thing just seems way too good.  Its one drawback is that it isn't a focused answer to any specific point(random as shit), but it always hits something somewhere, usually decimating a whole squad, so often...its pretty amazing.

lol yea its randomness is actually what makes it so good.  I never feared the American 105, because once you move your Grens out of a certain area, you knew you were safe.  With the Russian Firebase, its often a dilemma of "to move or not to move?"  As for the range of that thing, the US 105 can also reach your base too, so I don't think its a big deal.  Killing it shouldn't be a big deal though.  Just suicide bike rush and firestorm.  Its an almost guaranteed kill, unlike with the 105.  Even a few Gren shreck shots should deal with it.  If its in his base, just shreck away the hedgerows and infiltrate.  Soviets don't have as many emergency tampon abilities to prevent your Grens from finishing the job.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:04:45 PM by Yauz »

Offline Joshua9

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

Yeah, that occured to me, but then the american 105 is at the end of infantry doctrine, so it will come later, and is still quite effective, though as you say, you don't fear it because you can react to it.  The russian firebase comes early enough that its going to be one spent whore by the end of the game, especially because its hard to threaten it

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
OT but:
As GLD explained to me b4, when you aim the reticule for the the SU firebase, it hits the things behind it, rather than the area you target. Hence, the randomness experienced by players :P. So if you have specific target in mind (ex: bunker) put the targeting circle IN FRONT of the bunker depending on where you're firing from, not directly on the bunker itself.

Back On Topic :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:34:56 AM by Fishhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"