Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: I'm overreliant on MG emplacements vs Wehr as soviets.  (Read 16525 times)

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
  • Consider me a Russian supremacist...
    • View Profile
I'm overreliant on MG emplacements vs Wehr as soviets.
« on: January 29, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »
Uh.... yeah. I find that whenever I face a hard wehr cpu, (btw for all intents and purposes please consider me a noob     ;D I get overrun early game by mp40 volks, mg42s, and a sniper or two very quickly and I find that any early composition of conscripts, command squad, strelky, snipers, or mortars just gets mowed down extremely quickly. Snipers seem to do the most but I need to be cautious of counter-snipes. Often I lure the enemy sniper out quite easily with an ingenery as bait but My sniper can't kill the advancing mp40 volks quick enough nor can it fight a war by its own. Mortars do something, but don't have an immediate enough shock effect to lift the pin/advance as they are often sniped but I can't get snipers and mortars out at the same time as they are in different areas of the support barracks. Basically, all infantry get mowed by mp40 volks and mg42 with sniper support. I feel that soviets lack a reliable option early on to break or hold this (under any reasonable cost) other than its machine gun emplacement which has bullet resistance. Other factions like u.s. can make snipers AND machine guns AND mortars from just a WSC which gives them good variety to build what they need but especially the HMG as it cheaply and reliably pins down rushing infantry. Brits can circle bren-carriers with vickers mmg or just infantry in the bren-carriers to break a pin OR build a very cheap mg emplacement freeing up their early game resources. I'm just looking for a reliable way to hold this kind of thing. I find that I built MG emplacements at major access points and that's what keeps me alive. In the last game (btw how do you upload a replay on gamereplays.org? I've done it with starcraft II but I can't find the replays folder for EF. Any help? ???) I stayed alive with one mg emplacement and sealed off other points quickly with barbed wire and tank traps. I repaired the mg nest whenever it was damaged at all. I got sturmovie in the hopes that it would break the pin which it semisuccessfully did but combined firepower of mp40s and a sniper inflicted heavy losses. I made minor gains but then he already had pumas and geschutzwagens rolling around. I tried tank hunters but they got shredded by pumas so I tried su-76s which got shredded by the geshutzwagens. I got "men against tanks" and made a few tank hunters squads and barely managed to push away his pumas, geschutzwagens, and ostwinds (with frequent retreats) but I was under constant attack from mortars and mp40 volks, and flame pios, and snipers, and mg42s. (yes I am getting owned...) The only thing keeping me alive now (I was at the edge of my base. No territroy) were the mg emplacements which seemed to be by far the most cost effective way to hold down his infantry and to stop them from repairing his vehicles in combat. I finally won eventually when I got an isu-152 out which pushed back his geshuctzwagens, panzer IVs, and ostwinds with some difficulty but it had tank hunter support. He still had random units crawling all over and when I would attack his base with my isu-152 (sturmovie and mechanics a short while behind) he would keep attacking my base with flame pios and a random geshutzwagen or two. I eventually won by a small margin but I felt it was realy an underhanded way of winning, relying on a call-in of  the isu-152 to win. Basically, what could I have done better? I plan on uploading replay as soon as possible if I can find it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:30:03 PM by bopokippo »

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
Re: I'm overreliant on MG emplacements vs Wehr as soviets.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
TL;DR all of it :P

You really shouldn't rely on MG as SU. You play against Hard Comp which could explain why you are having such a problem (Hard and Expert comp have increased MP rate).

If there are too many Volks with MP40s you could use Strelky with PPSH. Or just keep them at range. And if there are too many MGs early on flank them with Conscripts. And be aggresive with the CS squad b/c you want it to get vet fast. And you can also use your engineers as fighting units (although they wont be awfully effective >_<). And you can use molotovs to make things go smoother

Early on there shouldn't be to many MP40 volks because both AI and human players would save that muni for something else.

And as for sniper, use you CS. IIRC it has large detection. Pretend your CS squad is a walking motorcycle :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:09:04 PM »
K thanks for the advice. I will try it out!
(btw I never knew that hard ai gets increased resources... I thought it was only experts. >_<)

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:40:54 PM »
Hard AI: 125% MP Increase
Expert AI: 150% MP Increase

You're wecome BTW ;)

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
first of all it sounds like your playing compstomp, no-popcap, annilate games. if you play with humans, its much more fun, and will also help you increase your skill. other than that, it sounds like early game you should get a light vehicle, to stop the volks, and snipers. http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=faq this should help you with the replay posting, and then maybe you can get some more experienced advice.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »
first of all it sounds like your playing compstomp, no-popcap, annilate games. if you play with humans, its much more fun, and will also help you increase your skill. other than that, it sounds like early game you should get a light vehicle, to stop the volks, and snipers. http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=faq this should help you with the replay posting, and then maybe you can get some more experienced advice.

He doesnt have to play PvP games if he doesn't want to ;). Whats fun to you isn't necessarily fun for him :P

And I dont think gamereplays can really help you, considering how they cover vCOH factions and not SU :P. And you cant really get a fast vehicle out unless you control a majority of the fuel. Its not like Axis where your first or second building has vehicles ready to be built. SU is more infantry based early on. Just get your Support Barracks out ASAP. It only cost 35 fuel for a upgrade, which TBH isn't alot.

And you can use Naval Infantry or Partisans if the T1 spam is realy getting you down :P. Have the Partisans go behind MGs and close the distance. And Naval Infantry are better than Volks. If they have MP40s just back up. Or at least try to.

And build a Outpost. Its will help you secure fuel and it alows you to reinforce. So you dont have to keep retreating. Of corse dont get pinned down in you outpost :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:00:45 AM by Hookerhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:39:18 AM »

Eh I would like to play with other people but I can't cause my parents won't let me and I agree. I have quite a bit of studies and PvP games for me are far too addicting.
btw I don't believe I would have enough fuel to get a light vehicle out quick enough... :-X

I used to play starcraft II.... I was 4,000 in NA server... but that was another life... ;D

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:49:17 AM »
If you want a early vehicle you need to focus on controlling fuel :P. And IDK how much skill you have but a tip you should follow is you dont have to cap in a line (capping the nearest points to your units). Sometimes you just have to rush to a point (high fuel for example) and cap the smaller strategic points later. Dont wait too long though. Often times the strategic points connect your valuable points meaning you cant just cap one high point and move on to attack :P.

Also you shouldn't cap the VPs immediatley. It isnt so important as it is later on when the VPs start ticking odwn to zero. Its more important you secure territory, no VPs. THe comp may do it but you dont have to.

And also I see ALOT of players send ALL of their troops to cap a single point. This doesn't speed up caturing at all so please dont ever do it unless you expect the original unit capping to die (happens when ppl fight for last VPs). Certain units have faster individual capping speeds so take advantage of that too. However some units also have slow capping speeds (mainly PGs). Try not to use these units to cap. If you must, use them to cap small points (VPs, strategic, low muni or fuel)

And use mines. I often forget this but you should try not to. Put them near choke points, near green cover to surprise ur enemy or by captureable points :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:51:18 AM by Hookerhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:51:11 AM »
Mines near doors make nasty traps, especially for weapons teams or small squads. It'll pin them giving you a couple seconds delay before they get garrisoned. I once managed to kill an entire MG42 squad because they all clumped near the door and they all died. Free MG for Brits I say.

Incdy mines also make nasty traps in green cover or near doors.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
If a incindeary mine explodes next to a buildng but the units are inside, do they still take dmg? Just curious :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:56 AM »
Flames should spread to the house affecting the units on ground level yep
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
Ok so I'm trying to find a replay folder and I can't seem to find anything. When I open my Company of Heroes Folder, I see the following folders

CoH
DLC1
DLC2
DLC3
Eastern_Front
EF_LauncherData
EF_Updates
Engine
Milesredist
RelicDownloader
RelicOnline
validators
WorldBuilder
WW2

If clicking on the "CoH" Folder I get two more folders, "Engine" and "OPS", both of which lead to really nothing

Clicking on the DLC1, 2, or 3 folders leads me to two folders, "ARchives" and "movies", both of which lead to AVIs of game cutscenes

Clicking on "Eastern_Front" leads me to

Archives
Data
DataAtrrib
DataSoundHigh
DataSoundLow
Locale
Movies

All of which lead to dead-ends.

Any help please!!!!

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:10 AM »
1- Click Documents
2- Click My Games
3- Click COH
4- Click playback
5- Find your replay ^^

BTW if you wanna upload it, use a upload website or stick it in a Compressed folder (I had to be taught this :P). Its better to upload it to a website like speedyshare.com or Meguploads.com
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:00:20 AM by Hookerhunterx »

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:53 AM »
1- Click Documents
2- Click My Games
3- Click COH
4- Click playback
5- Find your replay ^^

BTW if you wanna upload it, use a upload website or stick it in a Compressed folder (I had to be taught this :P). Its better to upload it to a website like speedyshare.com or Meguploads.com
Rofl I fail at life.  ;D

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »
dang... they don't take Human VS CPU matches.... bummer