Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Dot.Shadow

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
ZiS-3 was a field gun, not a howitzer, it could be used for both AT and indirect fire roles but it was mostly used for AT. SU-76 role is accurate, it was a multi-purpose vehicle... support gun, indirect fire and Anti-Tank. Obviously, it can't have an indirect fire mode for gameplay reasons.

Actually the SU-76 has arty fire mode in CoH2. It's easily the most troll thing I've ever seen in CoH.

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
Well, since this thread is about the SU-76, figured i'd as ask a question. Is anything going to be done about the SU-76s size? ??? You could close up the top with canvas and shut the drivers hatch, that would remove the giant people problem i think ;D

Since its huge atm, bigger than a KV :o don't really use it because of that, looks really strange.

(but hey, the Hellcat got the same problems, thats also huge, but since people are übermensch in coh, 2 meters tall and everything, it needs to be big.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:00:55 PM by Orle »
<3 ISU-152

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
So why is the game gonna force me to build Marders or Geschutswagens to be able to have same range as the 76 since thats like the only tank AI builds, they build like 1 t34 or those small tanks.

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
Well, since this thread is about the SU-76, figured i'd as ask a question. Is anything going to be done about the SU-76s size? ??? You could close up the top with canvas and shut the drivers hatch, that would remove the giant people problem i think ;D

Since its huge atm, bigger than a KV :o don't really use it because of that, looks really strange.

(but hey, the Hellcat got the same problems, thats also huge, but since people are übermensch in coh, 2 meters tall and everything, it needs to be big.)

DMz's been working on it I believe, a resized version has been on the cards for a good while now.

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
I know it's probably for gameplay reasons, but I was just wondering why it was decided to make the SU-76 like a tank destroyer. As far as I know, it was equipped with a ZiS 3 howitzer designed for close infantry support like a StuG. It wasn't that bad against tanks but its main intended role was an assault gun to take out infantry and soft strong points so I was just wondering why it was chosen to be a tank destroyer type vehicle.

While it was designed more as a mobile field gun, it was used as a tank destroyer too, since it basically had the same gun as the t-34/76. heres a quote from the memoir of a commander of an SU-76

"The same day we were instructed how to engage Tigers. 2 SPs work together. One SP opens fire, and, backing up, serves as bait for a Tiger. When the Tiger has his side exposed, the second SP opens on him at 300m or less. The trick was so simple!"

and they were used against little things which proved to be a problem as well

"There was an 8-wheeled German gun-armed armoured car at the outskirts of the village, pinning our infantry down by its fire. Lt. Karginov told me to turn the SP to the right and our second shot blew the turret off the German armoured car."

This guys memoirs were interesting, he really had a love for the su-76 and said that it was one of the easiest tanks to drive

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
no answer from a developer why their range is ridiclious and kills the big tanks faster and takes normal hits, why not make pershings as shermans and tigers or jagdpanthers as buildings to train them in if your gonna have it like this

Offline Jäger

• Donor
  • Guard
  • Amateur WW2 Historian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
They have the same range as a Marder, stop complaining.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »
Actually, they have even less range than the marder

Range comparison:
Marder and geshutzwagon: 60
57mm AT gun: 60
Firefly: 55
SU-57:50
Panther: 47.5
Jagdpanther and other supertanks: 45
Tiger and most other tanks: 40

And if you still want a justification for it being used in game the way it is compared to real life, the SU76 were not that bad against the majority of medium tanks such as the stug and panzer IV, and when supplied with tungsten cored APCR rounds (which soviets seemed to be the only country to have a decent supply of) they could take out heavy tanks at closer range, or at greater ranger when aiming at the sides
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:51:37 PM by robotnik »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
Maybe you should stop sending tanks to deal with self-propelled tank hunters ;D. I mean, there is a reason they are named "tank hunters".

If you spot a Marder III or a Geschützwagen as US commander, you are not going to send a Sherman to take it out right :P? Specially because no one places these units alone, so you might need infantry based AT support to defeat them. Go solo against it and you risk to being spotted by their auxiliary units or hit a mine and good bye to your tank. Or as Robo described in those memoirs, "lure them with a bait" so they go where you want, but it is likely they will fall back, because no one will send any of these units to pursue a weakened tank if you have the risk to become a sitting duck.

At least that's how I see it, but then again I'm not an expert. I find hard to believe you haven't used the Marder III or the Geschützwagen, because they work the same than the SU76.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:44:17 PM by blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
Well can you guys atleast design the AI so they dont spam 10000000 SU 76 instead builds differents tanks also and not just focus on 1 tank? (No, they do not only build su 76 but 90% of the tanks they build are them)  Why should i be forced to spam marders also just to have a chance? 
 Cause thats all Soviet does, they build 90% SU-76.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Well can you guys atleast design the AI so they dont spam 10000000 SU 76 instead builds differents tanks also and not just focus on 1 tank? (No, they do not only build su 76 but 90% of the tanks they build are them)  Why should i be forced to spam marders also just to have a chance? 
 Cause thats all Soviet does, they build 90% SU-76.

Well that is something we can change

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
Awesome if you want i can provide videos with that record replay thing or screenshots if you want and you can see how much su-76 they build, also what is the su-76 enemy (if i am to use that word) What is the thing that they are worst to defend themself at? Infantry or some special tank also? I would love to know some tips instead of spam attacking them with all kinds of shit at onces :) I guess everything in this mod has something its bad to defend itself at?

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
Well, they have horrible accuracy against infantry and basically no splash damage, so any type of infantry AT will work against it. they are also outranged by AT guns as well.

They have weak armor and their turning speed is rather poor, so it is possible to run circles around an unsupported one with fast vehicles, like a hotchkiss h35 or upgunned puma.

If the enemy is also used combined arms and supporting their SU-76 with infantry and other tanks, arty is also an option, and so is using combined arms yourself (like an AT gun or marder supported by infantry.) Also if you are using a long ranged weapon to try and kill it, make sure you have a unit to spot for it, that way you can use range to your advantage

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Thanks for your reply, gonna use those tips well :)

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
What is the Jagdpanther designed for in this game? Can a developer please answer me this? As tank destroyer or infantry?

And what range does it have compared to su-76 since jagdpanther is a tank destroyer aswell?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:12:53 PM by saprize21 »