Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76  (Read 7377 times)

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
  • Consider me a Russian supremacist...
    • View Profile
Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
I know it's probably for gameplay reasons, but I was just wondering why it was decided to make the SU-76 like a tank destroyer. As far as I know, it was equipped with a ZiS 3 howitzer designed for close infantry support like a StuG. It wasn't that bad against tanks but its main intended role was an assault gun to take out infantry and soft strong points so I was just wondering why it was chosen to be a tank destroyer type vehicle.

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
i think you are right when you say gameplay reasons.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:41 PM »
ZiS-3 was a field gun, not a howitzer, it could be used for both AT and indirect fire roles but it was mostly used for AT. SU-76 role is accurate, it was a multi-purpose vehicle... support gun, indirect fire and Anti-Tank. Obviously, it can't have an indirect fire mode for gameplay reasons.

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:43 AM »
ok but my point is that SU-76 is terrible vs infantry and in reality (field gun or howitzer) it should be fairly effective against infantry. As of now, it is basically nothing more than a self propelled anti-tank gun and any purely anti-tank cannon was highly unsuitable for the support gun role as support guns need decent HE shells for soft targets. ZiS 3s were pretty good against light emplacements and infantry fortifications so why in the game is it treated as no more than a tank destroyer? And ZiS 3 was mostly used for light artillery. And yes, it could direct fire and such, but its AT capabilities were lacking compared to ZiS 2s and 85mm D-5T guns seeing as its purpose as a "Field Gun" was demanded to combine direct fire and indirect fire resulting in decent HE and HE shrapnel shells as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:15:49 AM by bopokippo »

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »
It shouldn't, otherwise we wouldn't need the T-70 or the T-90. It's only role is to be a light Tank Destroyer not an all around light vehicle, no matter if in RL it was.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:50 AM »
THE GOLDEN RULE

gameplay > historical accuracy

Offline My Name Is Ante

• Guard
  • Please, my name is Ante not Dante
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:38:23 AM »
It shouldn't, otherwise we wouldn't need the T-70 or the T-90. It's only role is to be a light Tank Destroyer not an all around light vehicle, no matter if in RL it was.
I believe that is why he said in his first post "It is probably for gameplay reason"
I am sorry for my bad

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:40:57 AM »
That's correct, however his arguments doesn't match these words ;D... other than that it was already covered by BurroDiablo's answer.

The only role left in Light Tankovy was the TD, that's why SU-76 took it.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:20:25 AM »
Vehicles are fixed in their roles since CoH doesn't make for good AP/HE shell swapping type MoW gameplay... any vehicle would have been alright at taking out 'soft' targets given the right shell was loaded. ZiS3 wasn't terrible at tank destroying, had worse penetration values than a ZiS2 but of course, the ZiS3 was chosen for its 'all encompassing' role in reality, but it can only have 1 role on a CoH battlefield and we have chosen it to be a tank destroyer. To be honest, had the SU-76 been put in a light artillery role, we'd've had a lot more complaints ;D

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »
Vehicles are fixed in their roles since CoH doesn't make for good AP/HE shell swapping type MoW gameplay... any vehicle would have been alright at taking out 'soft' targets given the right shell was loaded. ZiS3 wasn't terrible at tank destroying, had worse penetration values than a ZiS2 but of course, the ZiS3 was chosen for its 'all encompassing' role in reality, but it can only have 1 role on a CoH battlefield and we have chosen it to be a tank destroyer. To be honest, had the SU-76 been put in a light artillery role, we'd've had a lot more complaints ;D

heh... didn't mean for it to come off as a complaint  ;D but sorry if it did.

BTW since this is already an up and going topic,
What are the advantages of a sniper ace over a sniper other than the following fields

Cloaked Movement Speed Increase
Vet abilities
??Faster Shooting??? (and if so by how much? just a very approximate value is all that is necessary)

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:49:43 AM »
I think his vet abilities and cloak speed is what really gives him that high cost. IDK what vet grants him though (increased health?)

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »
Not sure, but those alone make him a worthwhile unit. IIRC, he cloaks much quicker after firing and can also infiltrate, like Fallschirmjägers and Partisans.

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
agreed. btw burro, i love your new signature pic ;)

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 03:23:21 AM »
Encounter an annoying problem in EF (just something i  dont get)

Why is the ZU 76 range longer then a tiger tank or jagdpanther? (No, i dont know much about ZU-76)

Imo its quite ridiclous seeing my tiger tank or jagdpanther getting slaughered by the zu 76 cause their shooting mad far away :S

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
Well the SU 76 always had a large range.  Tiger has one of the least ranges ingame to begin with.  Jagdpanther has good range like the panther tanks, but maybe the SU76 was a few meters back to be able to fire.  You can compare the SU 76 to a marder, but the SU 76 has lesser range by quite a bit.
My personal favorite