Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Guards 1.6  (Read 7641 times)

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
Guards 1.6
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:25:26 PM »
So, I've been wondering for a while; why go through the trouble of giving the Guards Sergeant a Mosin-Nagant with SVT40 aestetics, rather then a full-on SVT40? Is there a balance issue that would arise from doing so? Also, as of now, RBS seem to be much more of a go-to option; Guards seem to have drifted into lockstep with KCH as high tiered elite infantry that are fantastic at what they do, but almost too much of a pain to be worth gunning for. Thoughts?

Also, can someone post the stats of the different soviet weapons;

Damage
Cooldown(s) at S/M/L
Accuracy at S/M/L

those being the Ingenery Mosin, Conscript Mosin, Strelok Mosin, Guards Mosin, Guards SVT-mosin, and the SVT40 (and possibly the DP-28, PPs-43, and PPSh-41). I'm just looking for a rough comparison against the other rifles in the game, and without a finished stats page its hard to come up with the numbers myself since my corsix is borked. Many thanks in advance.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: Guards 1.6
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
Most infantry in the game get a squad leader weapon that just looks like an advanced weapon but is statistically the same as the others. Guards aren't really supposed to be spammable like they were in the past. Strelky are supposed to make up the bulk of your infantry forces. I feel like we nailed guards perfectly in the last couple patches. They are used as an elite infantry to flank and break a specific part of an enemy line before the rest of the blob rolls in.

As for the weapon stats, that will take ages to do. I might feel generous tomorrow. For now I can do the damages from memory.

Ing 7
Cons 9
Strelky 12
Guards 12
Sharpshooters 12
TH mosin 8
SVT 12
NI SVT 10 (M1 Garand)
DP-28  8 (identical to bren stats but 8 dmg instead of 5)
PPS-43  5 (identical to MP40)
PPSh 5 (very similar to MP40)

Generally, Soviet bolt action rifles are a mix of Wehr and US weapons. They're not as good as Wehr at long range but not as good as US at short range. They're just fairly decent at all ranges. The Guard SVT is very good on the move and at short range though. It's an assault weapon that can still be OK at long range. Very powerful indeed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:57:05 PM by GodlikeDennis »
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
Thankee.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
Naval's SVT is exact copy of M1 Garand?

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
Naval's SVT is exact copy of M1 Garand?

Not exact... atm it's shooting like a bolt action rifle. Will be fixed in the future.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
  • Consider me a Russian supremacist...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:14 PM »
...Guards aren't really supposed to be spammable like they were in the past.....

Oh really? LOL (no offense intended) but I spammed guards in a lovely 2v2 (maxiking was in it) and ofc, the whole time my team was losing but I made like 4 Shock Guards and they all had SVT-40 package and I kept making more guards. With a munition reserve, an AT gun, and a double PTRD naval squad, I spammed KraK grenades and took out panthers and Tigers (lol). The Guards also continually annihilated MP44 and Gewehr PG blobs twice their size with some help of grenades but mostly the SVT-40s and DPs. ;D All of them hit Vet 3. Sadly, I ran out of munitions and was on cooldown too often when Tigers and panthers finally stormed my base but MAN those guards were sweet.

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
Also, in general, I feel that the PPS-43 upgrade for Shock Guards contradicts the use of the DP-28 because LMGs (IIRC) can't fire on the move which kind of means you can't exactly push the enemy out as fast as you may like. IMO SVT-40s synergize much better with DPs.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
Also, in general, I feel that the PPS-43 upgrade for Shock Guards contradicts the use of the DP-28 because LMGs (IIRC) can't fire on the move which kind of means you can't exactly push the enemy out as fast as you may like. IMO SVT-40s synergize much better with DPs.

Guard DP-28 can fire on the move.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
ah kk thx. I must've been thinking of wehr LMGs >_<

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »

Guard DP-28 can fire on the move.

yeah I can confirm

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
Ah yes, I rememeber that game :P. Me, Bopokippo, SublimeGlimz, and MaxiKing all played a 2v2 on Kursk. Unfortunatley he is telling the truth in that all he (sorta) did was spam Guard squads and for a while it was working. I think the only reason we lost was due to VPs (I think it was 1-150, something like that). The Veted Grens and AI cars (pumas and AC) hurt him but sadly, it didnt fully "counter" him. Maxi was growing slightly fustrated by the fact his MP44 Grens with upgrades were all dying (lol?). I kinda agree that Guards are pretty powerful vs PE as they shread through PGs squads like nothing.

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:11:18 AM »
also, what infantry type are guards?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
Elite IIRC

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:15:10 AM »
Any elite infantry can still be blobbed. You will find larger blobs of Rangers/Airborne/KCH in some games. Guards will drain you faster than standard infantry though. If the enemy counters you correctly, you will lose a LOT of manpower through reinforcing and upkeep.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline bopokippo

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 03:22:20 AM »
I guess so. Btw fish, where'd you get the info on infantry types???