Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: 'Controlling' the AI  (Read 11746 times)

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
'Controlling' the AI
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
I really doubt this will work but is it actually possible to sort of 'control' what doctrines and what units the AI can roll out? For instance if I wanted them to roll out Jagdpanzers instead of hetzers, and if I wanted them to roll out Jagdtigers instead of Jagdpanthers, or if I wanted PE AI to choose Tank Destroyer doctrine, or if I wanted Wehr AI to choose Blitzkrieg doctrine.

Would this be at all possible? The reason is because I want to sort of experiment with some builds and counters and sort of enjoy doing it at my pace, without being harassed or kited by annoying nebels and mortar halftracks and also without having to restart the game everytime I don't get the desired AI doctrine to fight against.

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: 'Controlling' the AI
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
Nothing? Just silent viewers coming and going?  :'(

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
I honestly don't know the answer to this so I can't say. IDK if that makes u feel any better :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »
If you want controlled play, best way is VS another player. The AI can't be controlled to physically build the exact order you want it to. We have AI experts working on reprogramming the new AI but they probably won't be able to make build orders checked/unchecked by the player, probably selected at random.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:04:08 AM »
I honestly don't know the answer to this so I can't say. IDK if that makes u feel any better :P

Well at least you popped by and said something about it so it does make me feel better to know that it's not fallen on deaf ears :)

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 03:14:00 AM »
If you want controlled play, best way is VS another player. The AI can't be controlled to physically build the exact order you want it to. We have AI experts working on reprogramming the new AI but they probably won't be able to make build orders checked/unchecked by the player, probably selected at random.

I'm just the sort of person who enjoys casual play with AI. Playing with another player just seems abit daunting to me so I hope you understand :) I'm not exactly looking for the AI to build the exact build order or anything because I notice that they dynamically change it every now and then. I was just wondering if there was a possibility to sort of disable AI from building artillery/long range units like mortar halftracks/nebels.

Alternatively, is it possible to sort of create preset AI doctrines where you can choose what doctrine they will play? Sort of like CNC3 where you could choose AI behaviour (eg. Steamroller had them rolling armor only whilst Guerilla had a mix but mostly hit + run + stealthy play). I would very much like to fight vs wehr Blitzkrieg and PE Tank Destroyer Doctrines and not always have to restart game and see if I get lucky and get what I want to fight against.

Also, is it possible for the customize army menu to affect the AI as well? For example if I check Jagdpanther tanks then AI can't build Hetzers, or if I uncheck Geschutzwagen then they stick to building Stug IV?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:34 AM »
IIRC AI has a 40% chance of picking reward units, regardless if you've checked them or not. Controlling whether the AI can do it? Take it up with the AI coders :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:31:41 AM »
Hi,

I was just wondering if there was a possibility to sort of disable AI from building artillery/long range units like mortar halftracks/nebels.
Yes there is. You need to comment few lines will write which ones when i will have more time(in day or two ;) ).

I would very much like to fight vs wehr Blitzkrieg and PE Tank Destroyer Doctrines and not always have to restart game and see if I get lucky and get what I want to fight against.
Yes it is possible. Same as above :).

IIRC AI has a 40% chance of picking reward units
It was before but now AI can take 1...n reward units means Wehr AI could take only Geshutzewagen or only schwimmwagen or both.

To make it simple.
AI goes through all reward units and takes 50% chances that AI will choose reward unit.
Before it was all reward units or none.

Hope it helps.

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 04:12:38 AM »
Wow an AI coder has emerged! Thanks for clearing this up and it's really good to know that these things are actually possible  :D

However, what do you mean when you say
I was just wondering if there was a possibility to sort of disable AI from building artillery/long range units like mortar halftracks/nebels.
Yes there is. You need to comment few lines will write which ones when i will have more time(in day or two ;) ).

Do you mean I need to say here which artillery/long range units I don't want AI to build and use against me or are you in the process of already adding this feature?

I would very much like to fight vs wehr Blitzkrieg and PE Tank Destroyer Doctrines and not always have to restart game and see if I get lucky and get what I want to fight against.
Yes it is possible. Same as above :).
So does this mean that you are in the middle of doing this feature and I'll be able to choose which AI doctrine to fight?

To make it simple.
AI goes through all reward units and takes 50% chances that AI will choose reward unit.
Before it was all reward units or none.
Whenever I got to fight PE Tank Destroyer Doctrine, 1/10 times they build jagdpanzer against me. The rest is ALWAYS hetzer :( that's why I wish I could sort of choose what units AI can build, whether I want to fight Jagdpanther/Jagdtiger or Hetzer/Jagdpanzer.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 05:29:41 AM »
A wild jojorabbit has appeared!

jojorabbit uses explanation.

It's not very effective...

jojorabbit flees.

I guess he means to tell you he will write here what lines pertain to your question and tell you how to mod it yourself to get the situation you're after. You'll be able to tell the AI exactly what you want it to build.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:31:45 AM by GodlikeDennis »
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »
Hahahaha thanks very much it really clears things up for me. Looking forward to be able to play it customised to my taste. One thing though, am I really allowed to modify the game files that you guys have worked hard for? And what if a new update rolls and the EF launcher can't update it properly because the modded files messed it up?

Offline jojorabbit

• Developer
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
Do you mean I need to say here which artillery/long range units I don't want AI to build and use against me or are you in the process of already adding this feature?
I mean you can turn off some units for AI (just for your testing or whatever you r doing), am not adding that feature am trying to turn on all units for AI like vampires, halftracks etc etc...

You can comment, discuss some stuff about AI here: http://www.easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=7958.0
Or gamemodes here: http://www.easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=8058.0

So does this mean that you are in the middle of doing this feature and I'll be able to choose which AI doctrine to fight?
No, am will explain you what files you need to edit to remove other doctrines so AI will always choose Tank Destroyer or Blitz.

Whenever I got to fight PE Tank Destroyer Doctrine, 1/10 times they build jagdpanzer against me. The rest is ALWAYS hetzer that's why I wish I could sort of choose what units AI can build, whether I want to fight Jagdpanther/Jagdtiger or Hetzer/Jagdpanzer.
I wont explain this it is fixed in internal version as i told post ago, sometimes AI will choose 1...n units. You cant tell AI what units too build in late game, well you could make some sort of your AI mod  ;D.

One thing though, am I really allowed to modify the game files that you guys have worked hard for? And what if a new update rolls and the EF launcher can't update it properly because the modded files messed it up?
If new update rolls out and you mess something up, you can always re-install  :P.

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »
No, am will explain you what files you need to edit to remove other doctrines so AI will always choose Tank Destroyer or Blitz.
Ok I look forward to you teaching me what to do when you're free :). Will you PM or post here?

Whenever I got to fight PE Tank Destroyer Doctrine, 1/10 times they build jagdpanzer against me. The rest is ALWAYS hetzer that's why I wish I could sort of choose what units AI can build, whether I want to fight Jagdpanther/Jagdtiger or Hetzer/Jagdpanzer.
I wont explain this it is fixed in internal version as i told post ago, sometimes AI will choose 1...n units. You cant tell AI what units too build in late game, well you could make some sort of your AI mod  ;D.
So it is not possible to edit AI to build Jagdpanzer only and not Hetzer? Like how you said can stop AI from building artillery/mortars? Nah I wouldn't want to spend so much time making my own mod. I just want to custom these few things only that I've mentioned already that's all ;)

One thing though, am I really allowed to modify the game files that you guys have worked hard for? And what if a new update rolls and the EF launcher can't update it properly because the modded files messed it up?
If new update rolls out and you mess something up, you can always re-install  :P.
Re-install then re-edit the AI lines and it will still work?

Offline viruz777

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
Any news on when I'll be able to learn what I need to do jojorabbit?

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
You'll find EF doesn't work as fast as most ppl like :P. Give him time

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"