Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [Finished] Vyazma (6)  (Read 6986 times)

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
[Finished] Vyazma (6)
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »
You'll have to forgive my persistence, but I figured that I would enjoy the Worldbuilder while I still have the time! So I present to you a very very early concept for Vyazma (6). I've wanted to design a map with this layout for a long time, but I could never find a place that suited it. As soon as I saw the geography for Vyazma, I couldn't resist!

However as this is still very early in the development, I would love to hear some input on how you folks would like it to look. What weather, level of destruction or defences would you like in a map so heavily dominated by bridgeheads?

Although I understand skepticism towards many bridge maps (as they usually only afford one style of gameplay), this layout prevents the destruction of a bridge causing a ceasefire. Instead, it moves the combat further around the map.

Here is the west side of the map, showing links to the southern base and island, and the northern links to the main island.

And this is the Eastern island, again, showing the link to the southern island and the mainland.

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:15:15 PM by MonolithicBacon »

Offline Lord van Dalen

• Mapper
  • Strelky
  • Killroy was here.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Vyazma (6)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
The river shore in the northern area are too steep. Flatten the river shore that it look more like this: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11476861    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2197223
Replace at least two destructible bridges with indestructible bridges like this one.

Let it snow!

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »
Will do!

Cheers for the head's up.

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Here's the most recent update. Unfortunately progress has been slow, but I have another day or so to slog at it and at least get the majority done. What you have here is a layout of where buildings and ruins will most likely be, the roadways, where hedgerows will be placed (the dark lines), and where foliage is going to be heavier than most (the forested areas).

An overview showing the layouts.

The new depth of the river and the height of the bridges.

Another overview.

So now the pressing questions are whether you guys think this will be best off pre-destroyed, damaged or utterly ruined (considering from what I've read, Vyazma was practically wiped off the map by the end of the engagement). As well as that, I'm currently planning to design the map in spring, summer or autumn, but if anybody would prefer snow, let me know!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:05:11 PM by MonolithicBacon »

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
And we're done! I'm proud to present Vyazma! While there is still territory and blocking left to finish, the map is in every other sense done.
To reiterate, this is a 3vs3 map consisting of three "islands" connected to the centre, with two infantry bridges, two vehicle bridges, two indestructible bridges, and two river crossings.

Here are the screenshots! Let me know what you think, and as always let me know if you see anything you don't agree with or would like to change.

This is the overview.

The central plaza, bare and dangerous.

Dense foliage, south of the ruins.

Eastern access to Vyazma.

Western access to Vyazma.

Eastern countryside.

Southern river crossing.

South-eastern crossing.

And finally, the minimap.

I'd really appreciate any feedback!
As for now, despite my spare time being minimised, I'm planning to continue on with Operation Typhoon maps, so watch this space!

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
How many VPs are there? 3???? Just curious :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »
Herp.

So that may have been an oversight!
If you look on the Minimap, I planned to put three: One in the middle of the northernmost two Y-junctions (the roads linked to the destructible vehicle bridges), and the final one in the road just before the southernmost river crossing.

All of them are on the main "island".

Offline Lord van Dalen

• Mapper
  • Strelky
  • Killroy was here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »
Ok, that was... fast. :o And it's looking good. Keep it up.

Let it snow!

Killar

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Looks good so far!

What i noticed is that you mirror your maps alot. This may benefit the balance, because if either side of the map is equal, both teams have equal possibilites (like on red balls). However on bridge maps you will have double amount of bridges then. Imo this map could be interesting if one side has no bridges but a pont or wood as blocker, but still keep the balance like it is done on Semois. There you have on one side only small passages, but on the opposite side its very open (reduced by hedges as blockers though, but these can be crushed in late game). Still its balanced somehow.
Or you make one side the river passable.
Just some thoughts. Keep up the good work! :)

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The only reason I made this map is because it's based on an actual location and the geography was perfect, so getting rid of one of the rivers would make me feel dirty, but I wholly understand your views on balance.
To be truthful, after Korosten I started to get sick of perfectly balanced maps, hence why this one has a few unbalanced parts to it (although not many). My next project after this though should be utterly unbalanced, in the vein of Drekplaats. Something that's still fair, but not mirrored.

Ok, that was... fast. :o And it's looking good. Keep it up.

Thanks, but like I said, things are going to slow way down now! I've made everything that I can while I still can! Now it's going to drop to maybe a map per fortnight/three weeks.

Killar

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »
A ressource design similar to Langres would be interesting, where one side has easier access to fuel, but the other side has access to high munition to equal this. I dont want unbalanced maps ofc, but i think balanced maps can be made even if the design doesnt looks mirrored from ressource and map layout. :)

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just working on the territory now, but as far as making it fair goes, it's beginning to look like Montherme's layout. Speaking of, how many munitions points does the northern section of that map have!?

Offline cyhyryiys

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Re: [Finished] Vyazma (6)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
Where is the link? :)

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
Re: [Finished] Vyazma (6)
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »
The map is under wraps at the moment and with any luck should be included in the next update.

Stay tuned!